+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: If the season is scrapped...

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Unless we complete the same number of games as last season you can't say there has been no obvious improvement. Whilst we are well short of the start Torquay have had (which in itself is extremely freakish), we have been very unlucky with illness and injuries. Also, unlike last season against Barrow for example we are yet to be well beaten by anyone and are now starting to look like we have a very good squad for this league.
    Really? We are how many points ahead of where we were this many games in last season are we? And this season we had a squad assembled and prepared. So I don’t buy the injuries, illness as anywhere near as impacting as starting the season with a squad who hadn’t played together.

I don’t think you need as many games to say there is no clear improvement. You’re a stats man, the more games we play the more significant the argument, but if we had lost the first 5 games, would you have used the same argument? If the season ends they will use PPG. Does this show a significant improvement?

We are around the same amount of points having had a full preseason and in old money 3 transfer windows to assemble a squad.

Whilst it’s not an argument for dismissal it’s certainly an argument for no significant improvement.

If there is significant improvement on last season, let’s see the numbers.

Definitely no significant improvement, it's disappointingly similar.

However, would be very harsh to not renew (basically sacking) the manager's contract on this unique, incredibly disjointed and ultimately limited (part) season to date.

I would say if his contract expires let him go. I have seen nothing in Ardley which warrants any sort of extended deal.

His record as Notts manager is P84 W32 D22 L30 & I am struggling to think of any matches under his stewardship where the opposition have had a higher wage bill/better sources at their managers disposal. The stats over that period of time don't lie, anything else is simply an excuse.

Last season averages
    Goals 1.61 Conceded 1.00 PPG 1.66

This season averages
    Goals 1.36 Conceded 0.93 PPG 1.64

So the defence is currently better by 0.07 but goals are down by 0.25 a game and points per game is lower.

Well just think if they sacked Ardley they could put Abbott in charge...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    I don’t think you need as many games to say there is no clear improvement. You’re a stats man, the more games we play the more significant the argument, but if we had lost the first 5 games, would you have used the same argument? If the season ends they will use PPG. Does this show a significant improvement?
    If we had lost the first 5 games I would of course be as concerned as everyone else, but the fact remains we haven't. Equally, what if we suddenly won the next 5 games, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, then that would be a big improvement on the same period last season which would go against your argument.

We haven't taken a pasting off anyone yet this season even when playing badly. We have dropped some points/lost games due to silly mistakes from players, not marking their man from a set piece when it was their job to do so, letting a ball bounce over your head rather than booting it out in the 6th minute of added time etc. I agree at times Ardley's tactics have been very negative but on the whole I think we are seeing a more ruthless and attack minded manager this season and once we have the likes of Roberts and Thomas back I think we could be killing it in this league. We are also in the top 3 for chances created, not taking those chances has been the issue this season not the manager's tactics, which in fairness have contributed to those chances being created in the first place.

I'm not saying we are vastly improved, I'm just saying you can't judge it based on the number of games we've had so far this season. When you look at improvement you sometimes have to take a much wider view of events in order to establish an opinion.

Also, if the season ends tomorrow there is not a cat in hell's chance that PPG should be used after so few games, it would have to be null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Last season averages
    Goals 1.61 Conceded 1.00 PPG 1.66

This season averages
    Goals 1.36 Conceded 0.93 PPG 1.64

So the defence is currently better by 0.07 but goals are down by 0.25 a game and points per game is lower.
    We have had the second highest number of shots per 90 mins in the league so far this season, Torquay being top, it's our conversion rate that is letting us down.

I think if the season ended now they would give Ardley another chance but it could depend on his salary demands too he may have to take a pay cut depending on what he is on.

More pressing is who has messed up over the grants/loans it is either the government or the National League, I cannot believe anyone in the NL would have agreed to kick start a season in October without the guarantee of grants all season if need be (they aren’t that stupid are they ?!)

Seeing people on Twitter saying void it till August are these people completely stupid there is NO GUARANTEE we will start again in August we would need EVERYONE in the UK to be vaccinated as how can we start without fans.

We’ll find out tomorrow what is said hopefully sensible decisions are made.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    I think if the season ended now they would give Ardley another chance but it could depend on his salary demands too he may have to take a pay cut depending on what he is on.

More pressing is who has messed up over the grants/loans it is either the government or the National League, I cannot believe anyone in the NL would have agreed to kick start a season in October without the guarantee of grants all season if need be (they aren’t that stupid are they ?!)

Seeing people on Twitter saying void it till August are these people completely stupid there is NO GUARANTEE we will start again in August we would need EVERYONE in the UK to be vaccinated as how can we start without fans.

I'd imagine the only item on the agenda at tomorrow's meeting will be..... when are we are having our next meeting. Mellons.
    Last edited by Ayeayeskipper; 19-01-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post

Exactly. People last season were saying knock it on the head and restart in August 2020. Now look.
    The reality is there is no need to force the season to end in May. If it needs extending it can be.
    Only the top leagues may struggle if they decide to progress with the Euros which as it stands has as much chance of going ahead as BFP saying something positive about Ardley 😀

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast