+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Supermarkets & mask wearing

Quote Originally Posted by The AuldYin View Post
    Take a deep breath go back and check the thread title and the OP. I said a company were sued because they refused to make a wedding cake for poofs ( I think they were Christians), that neither proves or disproves whether I would employ one or not. In fact it matters not a jot whether I would or not, if other employers feel they don't want to that's entirely up to them. The state cannot force you to employ poofs any more than it can enforce you to employ non poofs. There is no law that says you have to allow anybody into your premises masks or no masks gay or not gay.

Ya poof.
    Are you Tainted in disguise?

Oh dear, more barrel-scraping from one of the 3 stooges. Tell me when I've made homophobic remarks before, I'll wait here. Muppet.

Quote Originally Posted by Taintedice View Post
    Oh dear, more barrel-scraping from one of the 3 stooges. Tell me when I've made homophobic remarks before, I'll wait here. Muppet.
    I don't think you're the type to make that kind of remark but the other poster seems to be completely blinkered - just made me think of you. Guess I just miss you since I've been put on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I don't think you're the type to make that kind of remark but the other poster seems to be completely blinkered - just made me think of you. Guess I just miss you since I've been put on ignore.
    Blinkered to what exactly?

Using the language you have shows me what you are.

The discussion isn't about refusing custom, it's about an allegation that someone was discriminated against in the search for employment simply because she wore a head covering. The prospective employer was challenged and made an arse of her reasons for not employing the person. She was an idiot.

I once spoke to a HR Manager who told me he would never have allowed a particular person to be employed if he'd known he was gay. That person was as camp as Christmas and clearly gay to me and every other sensible person in the world, he did his job, was good at it and we didn't give a **** what he was. That guy was the right person for the job, better than all the other applicants but the business had the 'right' ultimately to refuse him employment simply because he was gay? Any idea what year this is you ****ing dinosaur?

You sound just like that HR Manager and I feel it's my duty to call you out on it.

For the record I'm not gay, I just have a brain and choose to use it to think.
    DC Thomson’s used to not employ Roman Catholics but rule has changed over the years.
    In the late 1970’s my brother who was a student applied for a summer job in DC Thomson’s. In his application form he had to state his religion. He was a member of the Church of Scotland and got his summer job at DCT.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    DC Thomson’s used to not employ Roman Catholics but rule has changed over the years.
    In the late 1970’s my brother who was a student applied for a summer job in DC Thomson’s. In his application form he had to state his religion. He was a member of the Church of Scotland and got his summer job at DCT.
    I know two people, brothers, both of whom started work late sixties, both of whom spent almost their entire working lives at DCT and both catholic.

I've heard various stories about gaining employment at DCT back in the day but the only one I've ever had confirmed was the union one, i.e. you had to join the union or you didn't get in. The others, no catholics, no women, only people's sons all seem to be urban legends.

I started my working life in 1979 and from the first application I ever made out where I was asked for religion I always put N/A. I never once thought that the reason I wasn't asked in for an interview was that I had N/A'd religion. Thankfully that kind of application is a thing of the past and that question is never asked until you start work and fill out a next of kin form.

I know two people, brothers, both of whom started work late sixties, both of whom spent almost their entire working lives at DCT and both catholic.

I've heard various stories about gaining employment at DCT back in the day but the only one I've ever had confirmed was the union one, i.e. you had to join the union or you didn't get in. The others, no catholics, no women, only people's sons all seem to be urban legends.

I started my working life in 1979 and from the first application I ever made out where I was asked for religion I always put N/A. I never once thought that the reason I wasn't asked in for an interview was that I had N/A'd religion. Thankfully that kind of application is a thing of the past and that question is never asked until you start work and fill out a next of kin form.
    My interview at DCT I was asked if I attended church regularly and if I was a practising Roman Catholic. Hard to believe I know but I've posted that on here before.

People who have a problem with the Catholic religion tend to spit out the word "Roman" which I felt he did.

I never attended church but I felt the guy doing the interview probed far too much 're this aspect. He also seemed a little dissappointed I wasn't in the BB or scouts!!.

17 at the time and far too shy to make a fuss about it.

Now the guy interviewing me was probably just some radge and not the maker of DCT policy but it happened.

If it was today I'd sue for catholicaphobia, know it's not a thing but I'd sue anyway.😁

I have asked two quite high profile DCT journalists (both gone) if there was a bias at DCT both gave different answers, one along your lines Deeranged and one along the lines of my reply above.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    My interview at DCT I was asked if I attended church regularly and if I was a practising Roman Catholic. Hard to believe I know but I've posted that on here before.

People who have a problem with the Catholic religion tend to spit out the word "Roman" which I felt he did.

I never attended church but I felt the guy doing the interview probed far too much 're this aspect. He also seemed a little dissappointed I wasn't in the BB or scouts!!.

17 at the time and far too shy to make a fuss about it.

Now the guy interviewing me was probably just some radge and not the maker of DCT policy but it happened.

If it was today I'd sue for catholicaphobia, know it's not a thing but I'd sue anyway.��

I have asked two quite high profile DCT journalists (both gone) if there was a bias at DCT both gave different answers, one along your lines Deeranged and one along the lines of my reply above.
    I'm sure there were individuals with agendas, there will still be such individuals with dinosaur like views, some of the posts on this thread kind of prove that but hopefully these narrow minded bigots are becoming fewer and farther between.

I've said previously I was discriminated against in the RAF for being Scottish, often very openly, so it happens in most walks of life but not every person in that walk of life will hold the same views, thankfully. You didn't too badly after your experience at DCT and I haven't done too badly since leaving the RAF, always best to rise above those types of people.

I'm sure there were individuals with agendas, there will still be such individuals with dinosaur like views, some of the posts on this thread kind of prove that but hopefully these narrow minded bigots are becoming fewer and farther between.

I've said previously I was discriminated against in the RAF for being Scottish, often very openly, so it happens in most walks of life but not every person in that walk of life will hold the same views, thankfully. You didn't too badly after your experience at DCT and I haven't done too badly since leaving the RAF, always best to rise above those types of people.
    Yes as I said probably not DCT policy.

But how many guys did they employ with the same views or predjuces as the guy who interviewed me.

Institutional bias??? rather than out and out sectarianism.

I'd probably say a very light version of the former which I've no doubt has pretty much died out now.

DCT weren't the only employer who had dubious interview "techniques" in the early to mid 80s.

I was once asked "how far can a bear run into the woods" ....by some dick who worked for the blessed NHS with far too much time on his hands.

Guy at supermarket after school job asked me "what is national insurance and why do you pay it"

I started answer with (15 mind) "well national insurance is a form of tax......".....he burst out laughing and ridiculed the answer.

Years later, studying for my financial diploma exams I got to the mammoth section on taxation.

Chapter 4.

National insurance;

National insurance is a form of taxation......

😁.....did make me smile.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)