+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supermarkets & mask wearing

Supermarkets & mask wearing

I see that all supermarkets have now enforced the wearing of masks in their stores, why now after all this time ?
    I wonder if there is a test case pending ?
    Employers have a duty of care to protect their employees.
    It may be that an employee has contacted covid from a customer not wearing a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    I see that all supermarkets have now enforced the wearing of masks in their stores, why now after all this time ?
    I wonder if there is a test case pending ?
    Employers have a duty of care to protect their employees.
    It may be that an employee has contacted covid from a customer not wearing a mask.
    There was a test case, customer won 7k.

My wife works in a popular supermarket in the affluent Kirkton are of our fine city. Green one.

Since the whole thing started last March, and both before and since compulsory face coverings, she knows of two people employed in that store that have contracted Covid - both had close relatives that picked it up elsewhere and passed it to them. Remarkably, as an aside, neither got particularly ill, ended up in ICU or died.

I believe Tesco Kingsway had an outbreak around Christmas; affected people told not to go to work and no more cases found.

Of course supermarkets do have a duty of care to staff and customers but that doesn't really extend to taking entirely unnecessary precautions to prevent the spread of a virus in an environment where the air conditioning will likely suck the virus out of harm's way anyway.

I can't see any way that any employee could ever say they definitely contracted a virus from a customer. They'd have to prove they didn't get it at home, on a bus, in the local shop, from the take away etc. etc. and even then would need to prove with absolute certainty that they came into contact with an infected customer so would need to know who that customer was (by name) and where the contact was made (by exact time and location). I doubt track and trace would have sufficient evidence to prove beyond doubt the passing of infection to an individual at a point in time and space.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    My wife works in a popular supermarket in the affluent Kirkton are of our fine city. Green one.

Since the whole thing started last March, and both before and since compulsory face coverings, she knows of two people employed in that store that have contracted Covid - both had close relatives that picked it up elsewhere and passed it to them. Remarkably, as an aside, neither got particularly ill, ended up in ICU or died.

I believe Tesco Kingsway had an outbreak around Christmas; affected people told not to go to work and no more cases found.

Of course supermarkets do have a duty of care to staff and customers but that doesn't really extend to taking entirely unnecessary precautions to prevent the spread of a virus in an environment where the air conditioning will likely suck the virus out of harm's way anyway.

I can't see any way that any employee could ever say they definitely contracted a virus from a customer. They'd have to prove they didn't get it at home, on a bus, in the local shop, from the take away etc. etc. and even then would need to prove with absolute certainty that they came into contact with an infected customer so would need to know who that customer was (by name) and where the contact was made (by exact time and location). I doubt track and trace would have sufficient evidence to prove beyond doubt the passing of infection to an individual at a point in time and space.
    It's a big guessing game, like the R rate.

Did not see Rros post regarding the payout.
    The government has said its mandatory to wear masks in shops etc , so why would they pay out ?
    Have not read anything about this 7k payout, was it a supermarket, seems strange that they would payout and not fight the case.
    Always comes back to liability in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    Did not see Rros post regarding the payout.
    The government has said its mandatory to wear masks in shops etc , so why would they pay out ?
    Have not read anything about this 7k payout, was it a supermarket, seems strange that they would payout and not fight the case.
    Always comes back to liability in the end.
    She was refused entry.

She was exempt

Supermarkets only have a right to ask if you are exempt.....If answers yes.....that shud be it.

Unfortunately give someone a high viz and sometimes it dosent end there.

They have no right to ask why, see documentation or in one case I've read about "You had a mask on a couple of weeks ago"

No sure if the 7k case was a supermarket.

It's just the place where a dispute is likely to happen.

If customers in supermarkets are having to wear a face mask then all the supermarket staff including the staff on the tills should also have to wear a mask.
    However I hark back to the discussion I had with the Public Health Scotland doctor last October after she told me that my Covid-19 was negative.
    I said to her that the wearing of face masks was a waste of time as it is not stopping the spread of the Covid-19 virus. She replied stating “We know that and that is why we also advise everyone to also wash their hands”.
    One thing is certain. The wearing of face masks is not making a jot of difference stopping the spread of the Covid-19 virus throughout the U.K. and the rest of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    There was a test case, customer won 7k.
    There wasn’t. Settled out of court so no test case ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post
    There wasn’t. Settled out of court so no test case ever happened.
    Yes there was no case as they admitted liability.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)