+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Supermarkets & mask wearing

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    The answer is that the action of the salon owner was racist and therefore exactly the same as the action of the shopkeeper in that both actions fall foul of legislation.
    Whether or not one agrees with the outcome of these incidents depends on whether you agree that both incidents fall within the legal definitions of the relevant legislation. Since both were settled out of court there is no legal decision and perhaps the law might have rejected both claims. I am sitting on the fence!
    He didn't discriminate against a race.

The answer is that the action of the salon owner was racist and therefore exactly the same as the action of the shopkeeper in that both actions fall foul of legislation.
    Whether or not one agrees with the outcome of these incidents depends on whether you agree that both incidents fall within the legal definitions of the relevant legislation. Since both were settled out of court there is no legal decision and perhaps the law might have rejected both claims. I am sitting on the fence!
    The salon owner was probably (definitely for me) showing some bias toward racism; but only if it's racist to define your business' product or service in a particular way (image) and to want to employ people that openly project that image in a customer facing role.

Would an African cafe specializing in for example Nigerian food really be that wrong to say they'd prefer not to have white people serving that food? For me that cafe would be right to only employ Nigerians to fully project the ethos and to maintain the genuine feel of the place. strictly speaking it's racist, but is it possibly justifiable?

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    The salon owner was probably (definitely for me) showing some bias toward racism; but only if it's racist to define your business' product or service in a particular way (image) and to want to employ people that openly project that image in a customer facing role.

Would an African cafe specializing in for example Nigerian food really be that wrong to say they'd prefer not to have white people serving that food? For me that cafe would be right to only employ Nigerians to fully project the ethos and to maintain the genuine feel of the place. strictly speaking it's racist, but is it possibly justifiable?
    What race has this hairdresser discriminated against?

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    What race has this hairdresser discriminated against?
    Only had a quick scan but the gist is that she didn't employ the girl because she was wearing head covering and the owner wanted her employees to show the modern, jaunty, modern, punky I suppose image of the hairstyles on offer.

So essentially not racist but the fact she was rejected simply on the head covering is obviously seen as racist and obviously that's where the complaint was pointed. For me the owner has the right to say the applicant didn't fit the image she wants to project for the business, however I suspect there was more to it than the head covering but that's because I'm a cynical old ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Only had a quick scan but the gist is that she didn't employ the girl because she was wearing head covering and the owner wanted her employees to show the modern, jaunty, modern, punky I suppose image of the hairstyles on offer.

So essentially not racist but the fact she was rejected simply on the head covering is obviously seen as racist and obviously that's where the complaint was pointed. For me the owner has the right to say the applicant didn't fit the image she wants to project for the business, however I suspect there was more to it than the head covering but that's because I'm a cynical old ****.
    Not discriminated on grounds of race as nowhere on this thread does it mention race.

He's maybe discriminated against her because of her religious beliefs although I'm not sure if every Muslim sect insist on head coverings.

Being a Muslim isn't a race......you can't be racist against Muslims.

If say I was interviewing and I didnae fancy employing an overtly camp guy wearing a tartan mini kilt in my garage repair shop would I be racist against Scots? No I would be in that circumstance predudiced against campness.

Hairdresser was guilty of openly admitting to common sense.

Muslim wifey was perfectly entitled to exploit his or hers stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Not discriminated on grounds of race as nowhere on this thread does it mention race.

He's maybe discriminated against her because of her religious beliefs although I'm not sure if every Muslim sect insist on head coverings.

Being a Muslim isn't a race......you can't be racist against Muslims.

If say I was interviewing and I didnae fancy employing an overtly camp guy wearing a tartan mini kilt in my garage repair shop would I be racist against Scots? No I would be in that circumstance predudiced against campness.

Hairdresser was guilty of openly admitting to common sense.

Muslim wifey was perfectly entitled to exploit his or hers stupidity.
    Pretty much what I said, common sense applied by owner but stupidly didn't word her defence correctly.

My bad, used race wrongly. Should have been religious prejudice. Same principle, say or do something wrong and legal action gets threatened. Insurance companies pay something to save themselves legal fees etc.

That’s not the case bcram.

The Islamaphobic actions by the salon owner are against the law and discriminatory, however the salon owner would have been at no risk.

It’s against the law to discriminate against disabled people too, but in this case it’s not simply this point. Nobody has to put themselves at risk, in fact in the workplace it is against the law to do so. Two laws would clash here but it’s never been tested in court because the shopkeeper has caved.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post

The Islamaphobic actions by the salon owner are against the law and discriminatory, however the salon owner would have been at no risk.

It’s against the law to discriminate against disabled people too, but in this case it’s not simply this point. Nobody has to put themselves at risk, in fact in the workplace it is against the law to do so. Two laws would clash here but it’s never been tested in court because the shopkeeper has caved.
    No such thing as islamaphobia.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post

Still not clear about this. I obviously don't understand what right was infringed by the shopkeeper. Help!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)