+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: OT £11 million for Rotherham town centre cycle lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Scum - any article involving RMBC or development of the town centre will become political due to the 'enthusiastic' views of the punters on here. Happens every time, so not sure why you'd expect this to be any different.

Good informative post though and looks good news to me on balance - just on wrong board if we're supposed to be footy only discussion on main board.
    I get what you’re saying mate but there’s northern soul, Phil Spector and sausages and actors on this page.

OT is still a thing, I was probably being naive when I didn’t think it would be political. I certainly didn’t think the subject would evolve to storming the town hall over groomers.

I’m fecking glad there’s a match tonight. I think I’ll have a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    And that’s a shame.

The vast majority of people in Rotherham don’t go to NYS. Would you think there was similar responses to money being spent in the town centre on something they will never use from them?

Not everything that is for the use of people is for everyone.

If it keeps cyclists safely out the way of traffic and improves the aesthetic of the town I have no idea how this can be a negative thing.
    Scum owd lad I have nowt at all against cycle lanes in the town centre but some of stovics comments have nowt to do with cycle lanes. Also some posters on here cant wait to have a go at the Labour council in Rotherham. They are the ones guilty of making it political so unfortunately, though your thread had honourable intentions, it has been hijacked by some others for their own political agendas.

So as you say its a shame...
    Last edited by rolymiller; 19-01-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    FACT Check

This is not RMBC wasting ratepayers money.

The money is from the Government's Transforming Cities Fund, part of which was allocated to Sheffield City Region. If Rotherham had turned it down it would have gone to Sheffield, Doncaster or Barnsley.

I have been as critical of RMBS as anyone over the years but on this issue if you think it is a waste of money blame the government not the council
    That's presuming cycle lanes are a good thing rather than something that has caused traffic congestion all over London.

If someone was giving away a free wheelbarrow full of dog mess you wouldn't take it would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    I get what you’re saying mate but there’s northern soul, Phil Spector and sausages and actors on this page.

OT is still a thing, I was probably being naive when I didn’t think it would be political. I certainly didn’t think the subject would evolve to storming the town hall over groomers.

I’m fecking glad there’s a match tonight. I think I’ll have a beer.
    Yep, but even with the best of crowbars, even our punters are struggling to link sausages, soul and Specter into their political obsessions. Anything to do with RMBC and their own town centre and you'll see pretty much exactly the same messages as on here.

Yes, a beer is in order. Why wait til toneet?!

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Yep, but even with the best of crowbars, even our punters are struggling to link sausages, soul and Specter into their political obsessions. Anything to do with RMBC and their own town centre and you'll see pretty much exactly the same messages as on here.

Yes, a beer is in order. Why wait til toneet?!
    Gm's post to Brin is teetering on the brink.

Leader of Rotherham Council, Cllr Chris Read said: “The coronavirus pandemic has changed the way the people in Rotherham travel. Many residents have taken to new walking and cycling routines they established during lockdown and so this funding is very much welcomed.

“Active travel is so important for people’s health and wellbeing and this funding will encourage even more people to benefit from an active lifestyle. The schemes due to be implemented will also help us work towards our ongoing goal of reducing air pollution in the town.

Sounds like a good idea, Sheffield, Barnsley and Doncaster are doing the same. Why should we be any different and lag behind other towns.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    That's presuming cycle lanes are a good thing rather than something that has caused traffic congestion all over London.

If someone was giving away a free wheelbarrow full of dog mess you wouldn't take it would you?
    They would take the free dog shyte and then complain it's the wrong colour, and then they try and connect the blame to thatcher

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Leader of Rotherham Council, Cllr Chris Read said: “The coronavirus pandemic has changed the way the people in Rotherham travel. Many residents have taken to new walking and cycling routines they established during lockdown and so this funding is very much welcomed.

“Active travel is so important for people’s health and wellbeing and this funding will encourage even more people to benefit from an active lifestyle. The schemes due to be implemented will also help us work towards our ongoing goal of reducing air pollution in the town.

Sounds like a good idea, Sheffield, Barnsley and Doncaster are doing the same. Why should we be any different and lag behind other towns.
    They’re nothing wrong with cycle lanes if they’re needed/getting used
    Agree there seems to be more people walking/cycling/running but how many will go back to their vehicles when they’re all back at work?

I know it’s town centre where there’s no traffic anyway in the main part but still they’ve got to get there which might be a pain for some and won’t bother.

Anyway I’m all for doing town up but it still there’s along way to go before people start going there regularly
    Last edited by millertop; 19-01-2021 at 02:45 PM.

I'M not convinced that this is the right thing to do.
    It's a decent idea to invest in the town centre but I'm not sure how many will use cycle lanes in the town centre
    A better idea would be to install cycle highways to allow people to commute into the town for say exercise and alleviate congestion
    Perhaps one from Wickersley and as there are broad dual carriageways and there might be enough space

They've built one between bradford and Leeds and it's very well used

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I'M not convinced that this is the right thing to do.
    It's a decent idea to invest in the town centre but I'm not sure how many will use cycle lanes in the town centre
    A better idea would be to install cycle highways to allow people to commute into the town for say exercise and alleviate congestion
    Perhaps one from Wickersley and as there are broad dual carriageways and there might be enough space

They've built one between bradford and Leeds and it's very well used
    It looks like a walk cycle route to Sheffield and cycle links to Whiston/Wickersley is part of the plan (but not sure if they've got the full funding for Wickersley yet).

Have a read of the article - I may have misunderstood it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast