+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exactly 10 years ago today

Exactly 10 years ago today

I joined this site.

And would you believe I'd never heard of Newcastle United Mad until a few days before that when my eldest son pointed me in the right direction.

I called in on the site for a few days to watch and then joined.

The following two to three weeks were unbelievable. I was fighting my corner against 3 or 4 more long-established posters who were convinced for some still unknown reason that I was a multi from way back when.

I couldn't believe that this went on for a few weeks. Anyway, I outlasted most of them as there is only one now posting and he only comes on rarely these days although was the site's most prolific poster at one time.

Anyway, rant over now.

I remember because I read the site for quite a while before joining. I got the same accusation a couple of times (but never to the extent you did ) because my sense of humour was pretty similar to Wolfie/Davey/Ghost's.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    I joined this site.

And would you believe I'd never heard of Newcastle United Mad until a few days before that when my eldest son pointed me in the right direction.

I called in on the site for a few days to watch and then joined.

The following two to three weeks were unbelievable. I was fighting my corner against 3 or 4 more long-established posters who were convinced for some still unknown reason that I was a multi from way back when.

I couldn't believe that this went on for a few weeks. Anyway, I outlasted most of them as there is only one now posting and he only comes on rarely these days although was the site's most prolific poster at one time.

Anyway, rant over now.
    I bet you never thought the football would be so bad on your 10 year anniversary

Nice one, Pat. Here’s to another ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I remember because I read the site for quite a while before joining. I got the same accusation a couple of times (but never to the extent you did ) because my sense of humour was pretty similar to Wolfie/Davey/Ghost's.
    Wôlfie - now there’s a name from the past! Does anyone know what happened to Boxer - he was always a lively poster when I first joined?

Quote Originally Posted by AP69 View Post
    I bet you never thought the football would be so bad on your 10 year anniversary
    I'm sure it's the worst since I saw my first game, in short pants just after the war, in 1946, before the league restarted.

We were then in the old 2nd div and had a friendly against Middlesbrough. We won promotion to the first in the 47/48 season and the football was fantastic in those days with 5 forwards and attacking half backs.

So in 75 years of following this club I can honestly say that under Ashley this has been by far the worst period I've known.

I'm sure it's the worst since I saw my first game, in short pants just after the war, in 1946, before the league restarted.

We were then in the old 2nd div and had a friendly against Middlesbrough. We won promotion to the first in the 47/48 season and the football was fantastic in those days with 5 forwards and attacking half backs.

So in 75 years of following this club I can honestly say that under Ashley this has been by far the worst period I've known.
    Now thats a damning statement. I've got agree that its the worst in my (somewhat shorter) time. I've seen worse teams and the club in a slump but nothing close to this.

Here’s to another 10 Bill

Thanks Terry and TopToon

The worst bit about this time is the majority of fans have allowed Ashley to get away with it. This is why it's worse. Before Hall got his hands on the club the season before we had an average of under 17000.
    We didn't worry about getting into games then with a smaller capacity, if things improved. Now 52000 are worried things might get better and Ashley will sell and they will be left without a seat if they stay away. Putting self interest before the club. Myself, I couldn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)