+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T: When will we ever learn

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Was it Benidict Primary School before that?
    Not sure about that perhaps somebody may have the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    It galls me to think of what was destroyed in this picture, taken opposite of what is now the clock tower entrance to Victoria Shopping centre on Milton St, c1850

Attachment 18119
    Unbelievable. Didn't they knock down a beautiful area with narrow streets and old buildings to build the Broadmarsh centre and Maid Marian Way as well?

Quote Originally Posted by americanpie View Post
    Not Gregory Boulevard
    It's where Radford/Lenton Boulevard crosses Ilkeston Road

Used to be called "Ation Corner".....Damnation = Public House.....Ruination = Pawn Shop.....Education = School....Salvation = Church.

These on each of the four corners.
    Yes of course, sorry, meant radford boulevard, it's across from the Gregory pub which is what got me confused, Gregory Boulevard further along.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Unbelievable. Didn't they knock down a beautiful area with narrow streets and old buildings to build the Broadmarsh centre and Maid Marian Way as well?

Drury Hill

A lot of people lament its' disappearance but it was apparently in a bit of a sorry state before the Broad Marsh escalator ended up on top of it.
    It could have been restored into something lovely though.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

Drury Hill

A lot of people lament its' disappearance but it was apparently in a bit of a sorry state before the Broad Marsh escalator ended up on top of it.
    It could have been restored into something lovely though.
    Indeed it was a sorry state and could have been a tourist attraction with some effort. That used to be my route as a kid/youngster from Meadow Lane to Nottm Vic to get the train home. I was offered some "sweeties" by a man in a raincoat on one occasion but I was running too fast to take the offer up.

What a success Broad Marsh has been eh! Another millstone for the City to carry. Back in my day it was where the Midland General ended up and then a short walk to get the 43 trolley bus if I was feeling lazy.

It galls me to think of what was destroyed in this picture, taken opposite of what is now the clock tower entrance to Victoria Shopping centre on Milton St, c1850

Attachment 18119
    Happy memories but dulling somewhat nowadays!

The building on the left was the old Mechanics cinema (or the one on the right) prior to demolition to create the Trinity Square car park. The same building housed the Mechanic's institute where I played a few games in the old Notts Institute's snooker and billiards league.

As with the school buildings ..... built to last for years and years and produced some very fine footballers many who turned pro later in life.

Drury Hill ..... to the right of the lady with the pram was a small chrome plating business where we apprentices would often take copper pipes to be plated before refitting to the hospital sterilizers we manufactured.

But yes, a great shame these fine old buildings had to go but as with everything time moves on.

This just randomly appeared on my Facebook feed. Some pretty interesting photos (and gruesome newspaper articles) here.

https://m.facebook.com/nottinghamhid...5260261156910/

My brother sent me this link only last week. I didn't think to share it on here until I saw this thread. Feeds nostalgia not only for old buildings, but also for sparse traffic made up mainly of Ford Anglias and the like.

Indeed it was a sorry state and could have been a tourist attraction with some effort. That used to be my route as a kid/youngster from Meadow Lane to Nottm Vic to get the train home. I was offered some "sweeties" by a man in a raincoat on one occasion but I was running too fast to take the offer up.

What a success Broad Marsh has been eh! Another millstone for the City to carry. Back in my day it was where the Midland General ended up and then a short walk to get the 43 trolley bus if I was feeling lazy.
    Ah! The 43 bus, they used to run every 3 minutes from Bulwell market to Trent Bridge. There sometimes would be two outside the Horse and Jockey in Bulwell and 2 more waiting at the bottom of Highbury Vale. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Ah! The 43 bus, they used to run every 3 minutes from Bulwell market to Trent Bridge. There sometimes would be two outside the Horse and Jockey in Bulwell and 2 more waiting at the bottom of Highbury Vale. Happy days.
    You a Bulwell lad then same as me? Drank in the Highbury.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast