+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T: It it time for a debate on the future and structure of L2 & the NL?

Yup.

Golden rule don't be such a sh!tshow of a club when in the football league that relegation becomes anywhere near a possibility.

We failed at that more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    I dont think any EFL side benefits by being in the NL.

It is an awful league ran by complete idiots and we thought the football league was bad !
    I agree it is an awful league however, the overheads should be less in the NL due to lower wages etc so would it not be better to be able to survive as club in the NL than to just go in to liquidation in L2

Looks like these are the three main people in charge of the National League.

The National League chairman Brian Barwick (who is also the Chairman of the Rugby Football League (RFL) and Super League Europe Ltd)

Vice Chairman Jack Pearce

Chief Executive Officer, Michael Tattersall,

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    I agree it is an awful league however, the overheads should be less in the NL due to lower wages etc so would it not be better to be able to survive as club in the NL than to just go in to liquidation in L2
    I don't think unless they were prepared to go semi pro there would be that much of a benefit. That begs the question which of those L2 clubs that are struggling would be prepared to do that? Also, factor in the annual money for being in L2 compared to the NL and I don't think it makes much difference if you try to remain a fully professional club. I honestly can't see a single L2 club jumping at the chance of playing in a lower division, especially one that is essentially non league.

I agree with legs77, I don't think any EFL side would benefit by being in the NL, in fact I think it's a ridiculous idea. The overheads would be less, but so would the income streams from such as league funding, TV money, advertising and sponsorship. It's like saying they would be even better off dropping into the NL North. Why do you think clubs are so desperate to get into the Football League?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I agree with legs77, I don't think any EFL side would benefit by being in the NL, in fact I think it's a ridiculous idea. The overheads would be less, but so would the income streams from such as league funding, TV money, advertising and sponsorship. It's like saying they would be even better off dropping into the NL North. Why do you think clubs are so desperate to get into the Football League?
    Perhaps some clubs just cannot afford to be in the Football league and would rather stay semi-pro

Perhaps some clubs just cannot afford to be in the Football league and would rather stay semi-pro
    I can't think of any club that would say "we would rather be in the National League than the Football League". Even if one of the part time clubs in the NL happened to get promoted, the cash benefits in the short term would be huge. Even if they only lasted one season, they would still get £750,000 in parachute payments for the next two seasons. There is a big gap in funding between levels 4 and 5, and I can't see any NL club not wanting to get their hands on it, or any EFL club happy to give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I can't think of any club that would say "we would rather be in the National League than the Football League". Even if one of the part time clubs in the NL happened to get promoted, the cash benefits in the short term would be huge. Even if they only lasted one season, they would still get £750,000 in parachute payments for the next two seasons. There is a big gap in funding between levels 4 and 5, and I can't see any NL club not wanting to get their hands on it, or any EFL club happy to give it up.
    Fair point!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I would imagine the EFL would hoover up the bigger teams in that situation. The likes of us, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Stockport would make it financially better for the EFL as we have big gates. How the numbers stack, I wouldn't know but I'd also imagine some League clubs are teetering, Wigan looks dicey at the moment
    Good point it would seem stupid business wise for the EFL to let a club like Notts disappear while many clubs in the EFL are struggling.

Any club in the EFL can still operate on a smaller or semi budget if they wished to do so.

Obviously by doing so you are likely to be at more risk of the "R" to the dipsh*t league sorry spelt wrong I meant the NL.

It looks to me like clubs are either going to take a grant or suspend the season which could mean a 30 game season like last season.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast