+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corners

Defensively we are sound, that seems to get overlooked both this season and last. That's due to a combination of the defensive personnel we have at our disposal, how we are setup, and solid work on the training ground.

However we do seem to concede a fair few from set plays, It's definitely an area of weakness in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Defensively we are sound, that seems to get overlooked both this season and last. That's due to a combination of the defensive personnel we have at our disposal, how we are setup, and solid work on the training ground.

However we do seem to concede a fair few from set plays, It's definitely an area of weakness in my eyes.
    Have we actually scored from a corner this season?

I don't know why we have to send two players over to take a corner - surely it would be better to just get it into the area?

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Do we actually know if we are a lot worse than anyone else on average? its just one of those easy things to highlight when people are having a go.
    That's what I was asking. Logic says that for every team that concedes from a corner, another one scores from a corner.

Are we in the credit or debit column?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post

I don't know why we have to send two players over to take a corner - surely it would be better to just get it into the area?
    TBF I imagine we are below average in terms of average player height, bar the 2 centre backs and Wotton, who aren't giants then it's probably no surprise IF we are below average at both ends on corners.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    There's loads of this type of statistical stuff on a website by the way . . .
    Sorry to be lazy ncfcog, but can your stats answer my question in post #13?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post

We scored from a corner at Chesterfield (and from two free kicks), but otherwise I think all of our goals this season have been from open play - which is probably a rarity in this league.

Off the top of my head, conceded from corners against Dover, Maidenhead, Stockport (FA Trophy), and set pieces against Boreham Wood, Maidenhead, Barnet (?).

Don’t think a defender has scored for us this yet this season, which would suggest a lack of dangerous set pieces from us.
    Last edited by nw6pie; 20-01-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Sorry to be lazy ncfcog, but can your stats answer my question in post #13?
    At the last count I think we have conceded 4 goals from corners and scored twice from corners in all competitions so far this season. I've kept a detailed record of goals scored and you can view an interactive chart here https://www.nottscountystats.com/stats just hover over a dot and it will give you all the goal detail you need. I need to do the same for goals conceded as well but haven't got around to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    At the last count I think we have conceded 4 goals from corners and scored twice from corners in all competitions so far this season. I've kept a detailed record of goals scored and you can view an interactive chart here https://www.nottscountystats.com/stats just hover over a dot and it will give you all the goal detail you need. I need to do the same for goals conceded as well but haven't got around to it yet.
    You only need two headings:
    Defender's mistakes
    Set pieces

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post

Have you got a weakness in your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Have you got a weakness in your eyes?
    Yes from the age of about 13.

Back on the set play front. Bar maybe the Ben Davies era we never appear to be threatening on attacking corners. We vary from being ineffective to completely unthreatening. During certain periods we were more likely to concede from our corners than score and I'd lose interest as another corner kick was floated in.

As we all know when you have the opposition under continued pressure and you force a corner the natural common response of any crowd is to increase the volume. Is this sudden increased support after a corner kick is awarded the most misplaced hope/anticipation in football?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast