+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: NL Clubs meeting this afternoon

If you "opt out" UTM what happens then do they get relegated/lose points ?

Just interested to know as not heard about this this.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post

I would imagine no relegation between the 5th tier and 6th tier, so nobody gets punished for opting out, but the other clubs can continue to play for promotion to the FL. It's very tight at the moment above the bottom three so if you had say 15 clubs willing to carry on, they'd have something to play for if they can all still finish 7th.

I haven't seen any detailed proposals, but it's hard to see how the 'opt out' thing could work. If opting out meant cancelling your season and preserving your current league status for next season, then surely all the clubs around the bottom third would do it. Those opting in would presumably get the chance of promotion, so who would be relegated? Would it be the lowest of the opted in clubs, or could an opted out club go down?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I would imagine no relegation between the 5th tier and 6th tier, so nobody gets punished for opting out, but the other clubs can continue to play for promotion to the FL. It's very tight at the moment above the bottom three so if you had say 15 clubs willing to carry on, they'd have something to play for if they can all still finish 7th.
    But wouldn't that mean no promotion from 6th to 5th tier? I know there is one space because of Macclesfield, but normally 4 clubs come up, 2 from NL North and 2 from NL South. Why would clubs opt in if there was no chance of being promoted? I suppose you could have a playoff final between the winners of NLN and NLS for the one spot, but that seems a bit harsh on the runners-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    But wouldn't that mean no promotion from 6th to 5th tier? I know there is one space because of Macclesfield, but normally 4 clubs come up, 2 from NL North and 2 from NL South. Why would clubs opt in if there was no chance of being promoted? I suppose you could have a playoff final between the winners of NLN and NLS for the one spot, but that seems a bit harsh on the runners-up.
    Yes, if the top 6th tier clubs want to go on, some sort of hastily arranged play off system would be a good compromise to settle that issue. Weymouth, Barnet and Dover are already way behind the rest, so it would seem reasonable to ask them to play off .

Yes, if the top 6th tier clubs want to go on, some sort of hastily arranged play off system would be a good compromise to settle that issue. Weymouth, Barnet and Dover are already way behind the rest, so it would seem reasonable to ask them to play off .
    Whatever way it is done will be unfair to someone although those three are well adrift. But, supposing they decided to keep the league playing with the opt-ins, what if say Barnet wanted to carry on?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Whatever way it is done will be unfair to someone although those three are well adrift. But, supposing they decided to keep the league playing with the opt-ins, what if say Barnet wanted to carry on?
    They will already know who wants the season suspended/voided and I suspect the bottom three all voted that way. Those three clubs would no doubt have 2nd thoughts if they were told they could still get relegated, but an offer of being able to play their way to safety should be accepted as reasonable, especially when you look what happened to Ebbslfeet last season who were well on course to overtake Maidenhead who were in free fall (on PPG, Ebbsfleet were already above them on points).
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 23-01-2021 at 12:00 PM.

They will already know who wants the season suspended/voided and I suspect the bottom three all voted that way. Those three clubs would no doubt have 2nd thoughts if they were told they could still get relegated, but an offer of being able to play their way to safety should be accepted as reasonable, especially when you look what happened to Ebbslfeet last season who were well on course to overtake Maidenhead who were in free fall (on PPG, Ebbsfleet were already above them on points).
    So who would opt in?

Those with a reasonable chance of promotion and those who face a reasonable chance of relegation.

You may as well play the season out.

Leagues below NLN and NLS aren't playing so there won't be relegation. I guess that most teams will want the season to end. If that is the case I think the best would be to cancel NLN and NLS and use an opt-in for our league with promotion but no relegation.

Thanks.

I agree with Elite teams like Dover would love to opt out.

My biggest concern is the other way would EFL league 2 sides kick off it this was the case ??

Thanks.

I agree with Elite teams like Dover would love to opt out.

My biggest concern is the other way would EFL league 2 sides kick off it this was the case ??
    With no relegation, the North and South may as well be cancelled.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast