+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drinkers Like me

The way I see it, death is a fact of life. It's always been there, no matter how clean we live or how much we exercise, or what we eat and drink, death will claim us all in the end.
    When we were young we never gave it much thought, because we thought we could live forever, but being young doesn't guarantee immortality.
    Lillian Board a super fit Olympic athlete dead at 21.
    Life shouldn't be about how long you live but how you enjoy it.
    I could die tomorrow or in twenty or thirty years from now. Not worth worrying about.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Please remind me in future Mick not to read threads like this, it worries the heck out of me. Im not a smoker, but yes I do drink beers/lagers.
    It’s the liver that is the hidden horror Acid, most people do not know they are in a life and death situation until it’s often too late.

It’s important to get a blood test done to check into this and to get a regular scan on your liver.

An enlarged, fatty liver is a massive problem and a breeding ground for cancer.

Even if you just drink a couple or three of anything you should always give your liver a day or two rest between each session of two or three.

If you find yourself unable to abstain for a day then you have a problem, you can kid yourself you haven’t but you have.

I love chocolate, addiction level almost I expect.

It’s no good for me though and has caused me problems so I’ve stopped eating it, it’s sat there in the fridge but I won’t touch it and I know I won’t.

I actually had a glass of ginger wine on two evenings this week because I was told it’s good for digestive issues.

First alcoholic drinks I’ve had in over 25 years, I was surprised because I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it, so much so that on the third night I didn’t have any, I don’t want to get into the habit as I so easily would.

The wife bought me some low calorie, alcohol free ginger wine and I’m having a couple of glasses of that each day.......lovely!

I now need to get a complete grip of my whole diet as I don’t like being 11st 12lbs plus and want to lose 4 lbs and keep it off, that will require me taking on board the sort of abstinence I’m suggesting others take towards daily alcohol use.

Good luck if you try.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    The way I see it, death is a fact of life. It's always been there, no matter how clean we live or how much we exercise, or what we eat and drink, death will claim us all in the end.
    When we were young we never gave it much thought, because we thought we could live forever, but being young doesn't guarantee immortality.
    I could die tomorrow or in twenty or thirty years from now. Not worth worrying about.

So so true Des. There’s a runner and a fanatical rugby player around here ( know of it through a friend ) who was 38 - no health conditions - didn’t drink and just died of Covid. Nobody is immortal and for want of better words - when your number is up it’s up! I admire those who retire young if able and enjoy life and their money. When my mum passed I didn’t want any of her assets and gave them away. Seen so much greed with property left and probate cases. Live today as who knows if there’s a tomorrow!

Its a very grim but still vit*ally important subject int it '55. And yes I suppose thats relevant to us all, how do we choose to live it ?.
    Personally I dont want to know the future, I say take it each day as it comes (if that meks sense!).

You never know what's round the corner.
    My Brother in law had a accident with a chainsaw on Tuesday at work.
    He's had to have 4 hour operation on his hand.
    The surgeons can't promise he will get the use of it back.
    But was very lucky he didn't cut his wrist. Which would have been fatal.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Death doesn’t scare me Des......it’s how I arrive there and how long I suffer that’s the issue.

I know diabetics who still drink even though they’ve been told they’ll end up having feet and legs removed if they don’t stop.

A friend’s dad carried on smoking and drinking and flouting the diet rules in his 50’s when diagnosed with diabetes and he ended up in a wheelchair and lived out a miserable last 20 odd years many of which were spent in a nappy.

My grandad died in his sleep, I’d take that at any point from now forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    You never know what's round the corner.
    My Brother in law had a accident with a chainsaw on Tuesday at work.
    He's had to have 4 hour operation on his hand.
    The surgeons can't promise he will get the use of it back.
    But was very lucky he didn't cut his wrist. Which would have been fatal.
    My brother put his hand through a glass window 30 years ago and severed his main artery and had his hand half hanging off.

He lost 4 1/2 pints of blood but they saved his life and his hand albeit he can use it but it has no strength.

That was 30 years ago so I suspect your relative will do okay Lloyd.

I hate chainsaws and would never use one, the work of the devil.

An old friend of mine died a few years back from liver failure; he was a heavy drinker, drunk by 6pm every day. He was admitted to hospital and was warned that if he continued to drink, it would kill him. He was released from hospital and immediately hit the White Lightning cider again. The medical advice proved correct, it did kill him. Many of his friends tried everything we knew to try to pers him to stop drinking but to no avail. Mick is correct in what he says about the liver; by the time problems become evident it may be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Death doesn’t scare me Des......it’s how I arrive there and how long I suffer that’s the issue.

I know diabetics who still drink even though they’ve been told they’ll end up having feet and legs removed if they don’t stop.

A friend’s dad carried on smoking and drinking and flouting the diet rules in his 50’s when diagnosed with diabetes and he ended up in a wheelchair and lived out a miserable last 20 odd years many of which were spent in a nappy.

My grandad died in his sleep, I’d take that at any point from now forwards.
    I understand that Mick and given the choice we would all choose a quick painless death, but unfortunately we can't choose.
    Lillian Board died of bowel cancer.
    The main causes of which are, old age, smoking, alcohol, lack of activity and diet.
    I would be surprised if any of that would have applied to her.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    My brother put his hand through a glass window 30 years ago and severed his main artery and had his hand half hanging off.

He lost 4 1/2 pints of blood but they saved his life and his hand albeit he can use it but it has no strength.

That was 30 years ago so I suspect your relative will do okay Lloyd.

I hate chainsaws and would never use one, the work of the devil.
    Hi Mick, my brother in law is 59.
    He's a factory foreman, but if they are slack he goes to work his Gaffa's farm been doing it for years.
    The chainsaw slipped caught his fingers then bounce in between the fingers and up his arm.
    He has severed the tendons ,nerves and broke some bones.
    Then after the news of that my other in law got took to hospital with chest pains.
    To top it off my niece had someone crash into her and drove off.
    What a couple of days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)