+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: He's Behind You - goals

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Wasn't that an away game? And I think we won in the end.
    Seems it was!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Peter Mellor.
    Did it lead to a goal?

Hateley never played for Notts against Fulham though, so it must have been another Notts player or a different keeper.
    Well I suppose I must be in error somewhere. But yes, I remember now, we were playing Fulham, the goalie's name was Mellor and it did lead to a goal in the Meadow Lane end by the striker (whoever he was, but I can still picture it being Hateley).

It was in the second half too. My mates and myself used to stand on the old Kop for the first half and then pay a tanner to change ends at half-time.

Reverting back to memory. I think it was our first year back in the old Third Division and if I'm not going barmy I thought Notts finished fourth and Fulham went up as champions. If that is right then we did play Fulham in that year.

I wonder if it was a cup game?

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Well I suppose I must be in error somewhere. But yes, I remember now, we were playing Fulham, the goalie's name was Mellor and it did lead to a goal in the Meadow Lane end by the striker (whoever he was, but I can still picture it being Hateley).

It was in the second half too. My mates and myself used to stand on the old Kop for the first half and then pay a tanner to change ends at half-time.

Reverting back to memory. I think it was our first year back in the old Third Division and if I'm not going barmy I thought Notts finished fourth and Fulham went up as champions. If that is right then we did play Fulham in that year.

I wonder if it was a cup game?
    If it was v Fulham/Mellor then the only possible game would be on 17/Apr/1976 Won 4-0 (Bradd 16, O'Brien, Scanlon 86, Benjamin 89). The two second half goals were scored too late to be described in the Football Post. Can't imagine Benji pulling off that sort of trick so maybe it was Scanlon.

Peter Mellor.
    That name has triggered an ancient memory in me. It would be a game in the 70s which I think we won and Don Masson scored from the spot. Mellor was furious with the ref because Masson paused in his run up when taking the penalty before scoring. I'm sure I recall Mellor threatening to send something like his coaching badge back because it was against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That name has triggered an ancient memory in me. It would be a game in the 70s which I think we won and Don Masson scored from the spot. Mellor was furious with the ref because Masson paused in his run up when taking the penalty before scoring. I'm sure I recall Mellor threatening to send something like his coaching badge back because it was against the rules.
    13th October 1973
    Fulham keeper Peter Mellor was angered by Don Masson's penalty technique after he scored twice from the spot, Mellor said: 'Masson stopped on his run-up and then continued. I've just been on an FA coaching course and according to that the referee should have cautioned Masson and given us a free-kick, but when I asked the referee after the first spot-kick why he allowed it, I was booked.' Alan Mullery was also booked for protesting about Masson's stop-go 'gamesmanship'. Masson said; 'Yes, I did check in my run up, but it's the rule book that matters, not coaching courses. The Brazilians have been getting away with this for years.'

Mellor is also the keeper on the televised away match (Best, Marsh, Moore) which we won 5-1 and Les Bradd clattered into Mellor leaving him injured and needing treatment. So maybe we had it in for him after that 1973 clash.

13th October 1973
    Fulham keeper Peter Mellor was angered by Don Masson's penalty technique after he scored twice from the spot, Mellor said: 'Masson stopped on his run-up and then continued. I've just been on an FA coaching course and according to that the referee should have cautioned Masson and given us a free-kick, but when I asked the referee after the first spot-kick why he allowed it, I was booked.' Alan Mullery was also booked for protesting about Masson's stop-go 'gamesmanship'. Masson said; 'Yes, I did check in my run up, but it's the rule book that matters, not coaching courses. The Brazilians have been getting away with this for years.'

Mellor is also the keeper on the televised away match (Best, Marsh, Moore) which we won 5-1 and Les Bradd clattered into Mellor leaving him injured and needing treatment. So maybe we had it in for him after that 1973 clash.
    Wow, thanks for that UTM, a great find.

Strange how things like this stick in the mind after all this time.

Thanks for the corrections, upthemaggies and Elite.

Strange what you think you can remember. For years I've been telling that story about Tony Hateley, I'm certain, well, as certain as I can be, that I did see the episode, but it must have been a different game against a different team. I also do remember Mellor's furious reaction to a referee when a goal was scored, that must have been in your post 14 Elite and yours 15 utm.

Nurse!
    Last edited by LaxtonLad; 21-01-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    All the controversy of the Rodri goal and Dean Smith saying "I've never seen anything like that before".

mmm?

Richard Cresswell Sheff United 2010
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byfbPipyKz8

and that guy from that team that can never be mentioned v Man City in 2013
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y_IOU6Lb2g

What's different?
    Silva is clearly offside those two examples are not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12