+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another old ground gone.

Another old ground gone.

York City have moveed out of their Bootham Crescent ground which is the be knocked down to build a housing estate.

The only time I visited that ground was a 3-2 defeat in the FA Cup in the mid 80's. Don't remember too much about it except that I think Sean Haslegrave played for them.

The National League North side(how times have changed!) have moved into the Community Stadium, an 8000 seater stadium within a Leisure complex and will be sharing with the local Rugby League Club.

I was at the same match. Also my only visit. However, it was in a state of disrepair then. I hope for their sakes that they owned the ground as it was a prime site.

It was in pretty poor shape too in about 2010 in the Cup. when Steve Phillips made his debut - and we lost.

It was Saturday Jan 7th 1961 and we had just beaten Chelsea away in the FA cup 3rd round even with Jimmy Greaves in their side but thing is we had lost the previous game at home to........ York City 5-1....):

This is true, honest, I went on a football special train to the Cup match that day and on arrival at Euston the BBC TV fooball reporter Raymond Glendenning was waiting on the platform and he pulled me to one side and stuck a microphone in my gob and asked me what chance we had when we had just lost at home 5-1 and d'you know I can't remember what I replied other than my face was a red as my scarf and some sod pinched my big alex rosette I had just bought...Svine,,,! I think I said we were resting up...

Also looking at the clubs in our league at the time 9, yes nine are now in non league and shows we have done really well to get where we are and Chester is the big surprise as they were always a bigger club than us in a higher league.

Sheesh was that really 50 years ago this month!! I was just sweet 16 years of age at the time.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 21-01-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Sorry....60 years ago this month....I must get my memory checked out guys....;lol..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    It was Saturday Jan 7th 1961 and we had just beaten Chelsea away in the FA cup 3rd round even with Jimmy Greaves in their side but thing is we had lost the previous game at home to........ York City 5-1....):

This is true, honest, I went on a football special train to the Cup match that day and on arrival at Euston the BBC TV fooball reporter Raymond Glendenning was waiting on the platform and he pulled me to one side and stuck a microphone in my gob and asked me what chance we had when we had just lost at home 5-1 and d'you know I can't remember what I replied other than my face was a red as my scarf and some sod pinched my big alex rosette I had just bought...Svine,,,! I think I said we were resting up...

Also looking at the clubs in our league at the time 9, yes nine are now in non league and shows we have done really well to get where we are and Chester is the big surprise as they were always a bigger club than us in a higher league.

Sheesh was that really 50 years ago this month!! I was just sweet 16 years of age at the time.
    I remember it well Mike, Frank Blunstone played for them. With regard to the 9 clubs that have disappeared they lacked an inspirational manager and one of the finest academies in the football league.

I remember 3 or 4 visits to Bootham Crescent in the late 80s and early 90s as I had friends living close to Harrogate. You didn’t want to be there if it was raining as there were swathes of open terraces and, if memory serves, just the one stand.. and slightly strange entry and egress from the ground. It was renamed KitKat Crescent for a year or two in a sponsorship deal, an evocative name which nobody could quite take seriously! As has been mentioned it was located in a very nice part of a pretty expensive city so hopefully City got a good deal, although they will doubtless now be out of town and, with any luck, on higher ground away from the flood prone River Ouse.

I can’t remember any scores, indeed the only match I can recall against them was our first visit to Wembley, and I won’t reopen old wounds!