+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jim Gannon leaves Stockport County

Jim Gannon leaves Stockport County

Thought this one deserved it's own thread after UTM revealed it on another thread

Statement from the Board of Directors:

Stockport County Football Club have today parted company with Manager Jim Gannon.

This has been an extremely difficult decision for the Club’s Board to take and not a decision taken lightly. The decision is not results based but is centred around culture.

We thank Jim for his longstanding service to the Club as both player and manager; he has rightfully been immortalised into the Club’s Hall of Fame and will always be a huge part of County’s history.

We want to reassure fans that every decision made, we believe to be in the best long-term interests of the Club.

Assistant Manager Dave Conlon will take interim responsibility whilst a new Manager is appointed.

There will be no further comment until a new appointment is made.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 21-01-2021 at 05:20 PM.

The decision is not results based but is centred around culture.

Considering the length of time he has been there it is strange to sack him over culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post

Considering the length of time he has been there it is strange to sack him over culture.

Praps he kept playing 'Karma Chameleon' over the tannoy at full tilt and it had become annoying.

Decent manager, decent stats, strange decision?

G745 W340 D171 L234 45.6% WR

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Praps he kept playing 'Karma Chameleon' over the tannoy at full tilt and it had become annoying.

Decent manager, decent stats, strange decision?

G745 W340 D171 L234 45.6% WR
    I think that after we beat them at the weekend they decided they needed a really nice bloke as manager, who likes to play it out from the back and is always ready to respect the point.

May be a bit tenuous but wasn’t he in the news the other week for refusing to give interviews to certain media outlets? Is this a sign of him being difficult behind the scenes?

Who knows, I imagine they’ll struggle to find someone to come in now and do as well as he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post

It's disingenuous tosh. They've spent big, bookies favourites, not running away with it so they've sacked him.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    May be a bit tenuous but wasn’t he in the news the other week for refusing to give interviews to certain media outlets? Is this a sign of him being difficult behind the scenes?

Who knows, I imagine they’ll struggle to find someone to come in now and do as well as he has.
    I suspect the media outlets thing is actually his somewhat bizarre refusal to do Sky interviews because they didn't repair his own Sky TV set top box. I mist say I actually find that rather amusing and endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I suspect the media outlets thing is actually his somewhat bizarre refusal to do Sky interviews because they didn't repair his own Sky TV set top box. I mist say I actually find that rather amusing and endearing.
    Do Sky bother with the NL? I thought we had an exclusive deal with BT.

He's always come across as straight talking , funny , quirky and bit of a nut job.

If it's actually a result based decision it seems harsh to say the least. Pre season favourites so expected to be much nearer the league leaders but with everything going on it seems strange timing.

Just yesterday was his 5th anniversary in charge, imagine that 5 years with the same manager. That's not happened at Meadow Lane since Sir Jimmy Sirrel.