+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Jones

Billy Jones

It didn’t take Dave long to fill the defensive hole left by transfers and, more pertinently, injury!

Billy was always a decent and versatile player so looks to be good signing for the rest of the season. Assuming those who think he messed us about when he left are in forgiving mood!

So... he's back. Mixed feelings about this. Undoubtedly a good player and will add to the quality we have. However, there's no denying that he did the dirty on us as he repeated it with other clubs. I also have concerns about a player of his past keeping any current Academy graduates out of the team. After all, we are producing these players despite Billy Jones's actions.
    Personal feelings aside, I have to share the huge boost to confidence evident on Twitter, especially with the added signing of Walker.

Its just me but I would not touch BJ with a bargepole. If everyone did as he did and some others have done then we would be lucky to still be a league club. I know we can't force players to sign contracts but we can decide whether to resign them when they are way past their best and then relying on clubs to allow them to play games and to still get good money compared with the rest of us. Its no doubt he will be keeping our own on the bench but from a positive pov it shows we do have real ambition to play higher and not just be comfortable with mid table.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 22-01-2021 at 04:55 PM.

I think it's a little fortunate that his return is behind closed doors as there may have been a hint of embarrassing negativity as he takes to the pitch and has his name called out. I wouldn't boo him, I'd just keep it to myself and he is playing for us now but I'm sure some would.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Its just me but I would not touch BJ with a bargepole. If everyone did as he did and some others have done then we would be lucky to still be a league club. I know we can't force players to sign contracts but we can decide whether to resign them when they are way past their best and then relying on clubs to allow them to play games and to still get good money compared with the rest of us. Its no doubt he will be keeping our own on the bench but from a positive pov it shows we do have real ambition to play higher and not just be comfortable with mid table.
    Am I reading this right Mike, you are promoting our Academy? In my view Jones did let us down by leaving the way he did and you are right in that others have followed his example. However, I view this as an opportunity for him to do something for the club who gave him his chance in league football

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Am I reading this right Mike, you are promoting our Academy? In my view Jones did let us down by leaving the way he did and you are right in that others have followed his example. However, I view this as an opportunity for him to do something for the club who gave him his chance in league football
    I have always promoted our academy since the DG shavington days but always questioned whether Cat2 or Cat 3 was the right level? But we are doing well again with a good mix of youth and experience. So its working and so that ship has sailed probably and transfer income will dictate the future of course. I agree with your setiment about BJ giving something back but I read he is coming to get games which obviously means our own players warm the bench which is nigh impossible in this weather..

I wonder if he still lives in the area as lots of former players do....BJ next stop Nantwich Town?

Hmmm, apparently not in a forgiving mood! Of course, as he left a couple of months before his 24th birthday we did get a fee for him, unlike his namesake James, or Moore or sundry others. Maybe not as much as he was worth, but that’s the fault of the system assessing the value rather than the player.

As to his keeping youngsters out of the side, we have two senior defenders out for a few weeks (Offord) and who knows how long (DNiels). With 2 games a week it’s asking a lot of TJ to play every time... and what happens if he gets injured? A certain creek with a certain implement springs to mind. I agree that he should be playing, but the manager has to get strength in depth... and Jones will also provide cover at CB, where we also look thin due to the aforementioned injuries and not much sign of Eddie Nolan.

However, I am delighted to see that the manager agrees with my post when ‘Boro recalled Walker and signed him up toute suite! We’ll see where he plays him, gaz!!!

AA its not a question of forgiveness or not, its a matter of the club's ethos and long standing principle that some players, not all thank God, abuse the system where they have gained substantially from those two attributes and the question then is why? Most players have no problem signing extensions to their contracts as they know if they are good enough the club will not stand in their way but so why won't they do that?

You make your own minds up but IF players see some leaving like this, then what sort of message does it send to the rest?

Rather than BJ doing us a favour I think we are doing him one as what has he got to lose and secondly how quick and agile is a 33 year old compared with a 20 year old waiting for their chance? I accept your view and DA that he wants cover for the injured players.

And another new signing from the past, on loan, or permanent....Timmy58

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    I have always promoted our academy since the DG shavington days but always questioned whether Cat2 or Cat 3 was the right level? But we are doing well again with a good mix of youth and experience. So its working and so that ship has sailed probably and transfer income will dictate the future of course. I agree with your setiment about BJ giving something back but I read he is coming to get games which obviously means our own players warm the bench which is nigh impossible in this weather..

I wonder if he still lives in the area as lots of former players do....BJ next stop Nantwich Town?
    Promote the academy but not the coaching side ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast