+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chorley Matchday Thread

wolves seem to have lost their way for whatever reason..
    can't keep on saying we are missing raul and jonny...

good job ruddy played well cos nobody else did

still, on to the next round..

Quote Originally Posted by Greavseywolf View Post
    corner after corner for chorley..wulfies under the cosh
    By the sound of it, I'm glad I wasn't able to watch this game, but a win is a win I suppose.

Truly dreadful puerile garbage!

Only one team played football? I don't think so. They played football as well, it was just of a different type and much more effective in terms of putting pressure on the opponent [us] and creating chances.

What did our football produce?

Did we get the ball behind them out wide, no.
    Did our midfielders shred their defence with imaginative passes to get our forwards in on goal,no.
    Did we sweep defence turning crosses in from the wings to flat foot their defence, feck no.

What did we do? We scored early from a once in a lifetime shot from 25 yards and the we just piddled about passing backwards, sidewards, backwards, punt it forward. Rubbish.

And then at the end what do we do to try and push ourselves over the line? We bring on a muscled up freak smeared in Vaseline! You couldn't make it up.

Not meaning to pick on you George but back to Silva and Moutinho.

I like both of these players, them seem like decent guys. Moutinho however is, let's face it, past it. He can't force himself into a game anymore he cant drive the team on, he just doesn't have the stamina. Tippy tappy, backwards, side wards that's about it.

Silva, well I hope it works out but the more I see of him I don't think it will. The ball bounced of him so many times today it was embarrassing. No movement off the ball, and not just him Cotrone as well, the number of times players in midfield had to recycle the ball [backwards and side wards again] because there was no where to go was scandalous. His age is no excuse, remember what Wayne Rooney was like at an even younger age. He just aint got it. I am getting more convinced that his signing was just part of an elaborate money laundering scheme!

Anyway rant over.

Comments welcome!!

Fair enough Woody, that performance emphasised a lot of the current problems. Ok we’re keeping more possession but it goes nowhere... we had one shot on target last night against a tier 6 side!

I have to agree that Silva isn’t ready yet, he hasn’t got the strength or tenacity for English football. He probably needs a season on loan in Portugal to develop.

I can’t agree about Moutinho, he’s the hub of everything, has been since he arrived, even at 34. The problems lie mainly up front in my view, we’re directionless and powder puff, Neto’s our only consistent threat. Jose our new loan signing is more of a target man, strong in the air, looks like he can hold the ball up and do a linking job, but lacks pace and hasn’t been a prolific goal scorer to date. But then neither was Raul when he arrived.

There are too few of us posting on this board now, so I am not wishing to get into a slanging match. It is a forum and so everyone is entitled to their opinion. We don't always have to agree.

We were in a no win situation last night, we win 1-0 against none League opposition, and people say we must have been poor only to win by one goal. We win 5-0 and people say well you were only playing none League opposition.

The F A Cup is littered with giant killing acts, Woody you posted film of one, About four years ago Lincoln knocked out Premier League Burnley. In the last round the heavily touted Leeds lost to Crawley. We did what we had to do and are still in the Cup.

Chorley had 26% possession last night, yes they managed five shots to our one but our one counted. We did play the football on a tricky pitch. Chorley humped the ball into the air and hoped for the best. I hated watching Bolton under Big Sam, I hated watching Stoke under Pulis and I did not enjoy West Brom under Big Sam. If I wanted to spend ninety minutes looking up into the sky I would purchase a telescope. I have seen us do that over the years, but I would much rather see us play the way we do know.

Chorley played like a none League side , they were up for it, they worked hard, defended well and played to their strengths, Lump the ball into the area and hope one of their players got on to it. They did on a couple of occasions, but the much maligned Ruddy rose to the challenge. They were a rugged team who were well prepared to get stuck in. Some of their challenges would have gone unpunished in the Northern League, but Premiership referees, rightly or wrongly, see it differently.

We had quite a young side out last night, with at least five player under 24. Ok we brought three players on late in the game, but it was the youngsters who set the platform for a win. The young players will have gained from the experience. Silver remember is only eigh****, still growing and time will improve his physicality. As Norton says Moutinho makes the side tick. On one occasion last night a free kick that he took on the far side of the pitch was cleared, and who made the tackle to stop the attack on the opposite side of the pitch Moutinho.

I should imagine that most off us who follow football have played at some level. Some may have even coached or taught the game. As a ex PE teacher you are always trying to encourage lads, a little praise can go a long way. They may be having a shocker but you try and find something positive to say. Criticism should be constructive and not negative. I stopped going to watch the young lads who play weekend football, not because it was poor, but because of the abuse they faced from the so called managers and parents on the touchline. Calling players to the touchline to give them a drink of COKE. Giving them an apple to eat at half time etc. They seem to think that swearing at six and seven year old's is the way forward.

I don't like to openly criticise our players, perhaps it is the teacher in me, but I do watch the matches with an open mind and look at all aspects of our play. If we have the ball the opposition can't score, It may not always be exciting but it is game management.

Chelsea in the week I bet they can't wait to play a team that only just scrape through in the FA Cup.

I don’t think Chorley played better than us. They certainly played harder. This was the first time in a while that I felt the effort wasn't there for Wolves. Maybe it was us taking the competition lightly, maybe it was nervousness about the pitch, who knows.

But the best Chorley chance came in the first minute. After that, Wolves pretty much dealt with everything. They might have outshot us but I don’t think their chances were any good. The defending did what it had to.

As for the other side of the pitch, Chorley were hurtling their bodies all over the pitch. We kept possession and did nothing with it.

Not the best match but happy to get out with a win. We would have had to play the worst match of the season in order to lose.

Now we play Southampton in the 5th round on February 10. We get to play them in league play three days later
    Last edited by MichiganWolf; 23-01-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Not a slanging match at all mate, just a calling it as I saw it is all. As I have posted before I am generally frustrated/disillusioned with the whole top flight football thing, media,players,politics, in general not just with us. Old age I guess.

Anyway, on to the next round after all we did win the game didn't we.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)