+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wimbledon wombling 3

Wimbledon wombling 3

Well, Wimbledon have only managed to score 2 goals in their last 6 games (0 in 3) so what can we expect?
    A little bit may depend on the team we are able to put out. Will Harry be available? Will the loanees get a run out?
    Considering the run of form and relative positions we should be comfortable but can we ever truly say that about the Alex? Also, even with the Wombles poor recent scoring record, do we really expect the Alex to keep a clean sheet? I'm sure that all coaches are aware how vulnerable we seem from set pieces and in the first few minutes of the restart. Wimbledon have been subject to some beatings recently so while they may be trying to take advantage of some of our weaknesses at the back, they will be vulnerable to our attacks, too.
    So, will they be cautious and pack their defence and allow our CHs to have the ball and then try and pick us off with set pieces or are they going to take us on? Either way, the earlier we score, the better. I'm feeling optimistic today (ooer, kiss of death!) so 3-1 (yep, no clean sheet!)

2-0 to the Alex. Their form is the worst in L1 over the past 8 matches, especially away from home. I reckon they will try to adopt what one might call Northampton tactics, so an early goal as on Tuesday should help settle things down. Who will score? Hard to say as we don’t know who will play, but I’ll try our mate Finney and one for Charlie.

Ok, forgot scorers. Yep, agree Finney will get one, Dale and Lowery.

No Pixie, unfortunately not in the squad which I guess is why Jones is starting as risky to have 2 inexperienced FBs. Otherwise an attacking line up with Finney and Lowery, with Walker on the bench instead of Mandron.

Important game, I think, with all the changes and it’s a relief to be playing Wimbledon rather than away to one of the big hitters. I’ll stick with 2-0 to consolidate 7th place as I can’t see Charlton failing to beat Swindon.

I got that wrong. No fluency. Conditions won, I think.

Yes, very disjointed performance. You know it hasn’t gone too well when your stand out players are the CBs! Beckles outstanding again.

I thought Jones fitted in well, as you’d expect with his experience, but Rio looked a bit overawed (shame Jones isn’t a LB!) and rather let the winger go for their goal, although Trigger has to hold his hands up as well; one of his dodgier games all round.

As to forward play I think the problem was we couldn’t get hold of the ball. Ports hardly had a touch - they played him well - and the others kept giving the ball away, and Wintle and, latterly Murphy, were as much to blame as our favourites gaz!! I have to say they were better than 5 defeats in a row might suggest (cut above the Cobblers for sure) and, after a performance like that, I’m glad of another point. Will be harder on Tuesday though.

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just haven't had the opportunity to join in since the match. As someone said earlier, I think conditions were a big leveller in this match. You could see that our players were struggling to get the ball, and themselves, moving over a very heavy pitch. With the ball moving around much more slowly, it allowed the game to become more about physicality than football; and they generally won that battle because they were so much bigger, on average, than our guys. Effectively, our passing game was negated before a player stepped on the pitch. That being said, we still didn't play well. If Finney wasn't banging them in on a consistent basis I don't think he'd even be on the bench, let alone the starting line up. His passing over short distances is atrocious and needs addressing. It almost seems like a concentration thing, with him being blasé about the 'simple' elements of the game. In addition, there was a worrying lack of composure about him too, that we're starting to see. Too many times when he received the ball in our defending third he just hoofed it with no thought or direction. But he wasn't alone in giving up possession. Our whole midfield did the same, including Murphs when he came on. Again, our midfield was wide open, with opposition players getting too much time to pick their passes, all caused by Wintle dropping off to the point of sitting in between the two centre backs... again. We need a natural midfield screen player. He doesn't necessarily need to be a genius on the ball, just composed enough to retain possession and lay it off to a more creative team-mate. Alternatively, we need to look at our current squad and see who is more natural in that role. I am still utterly convinced that trying to put that Wintle shaped square peg in that ball wining midfielder round hole is costing us and stifling the player's development to his true potential. If you watch him, he's most effective when he gets that extra licence to play that Gerrard style marauding midfielder role. When you look at who we've got in our squad, there's probably 2 or 3 alternatives that you could identify. Unfortunately, most of them are injured at the moment. Offord, Daniels and Lundstram would all be viable contenders to play that role, especially Offord. But, as I said, they're injured. The other option would be Nolan, but i wonder if he has the mobility and pace to be effective there. Another possibility is Sass-Davis. He's widely touted as a ball playing defender, but Da and KL seem to be a bit lacking in confidence in his ability to defend as centre back. If he's not quite got the defensive brain to be centre half, is it good enough to be an effective ball winning midfielder? It is a definite conundrum that DA and KL need to find an answer to.

Another thought I've been having recently is that, when we come up against teams and condition like this past Saturday, we maybe need a Plan B. Maybe playing a 4-4-2 to occupy their centre halves, and give us a chance of retaining the ball if we have to play longer? Not saying we have to resort to hoof-ball, but we don't currently seem to have a plan B.

On the plus side - Beckles and Lancashire were immense again, which gives us real hope if we can get going at the other end of the pitch again, and Billy Jones looked good, if lacking a little bit in match fitness, on his return. Another plus is Rio Adebisi making his League 1 debut for us. I know he had his wobbly moments, and he looked dead on his feet in the last 10 minutes or so, but another academy player making that step into the first team is a positive.

Ah, a supporting voice as regards Finney.