+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pitch

New pitch

Just read they are laying a synthetic pitch at ER in time for the next home game, seems Tottenham have enabled it t happen quickly and will cost 300k - probably as well as I reckon we were in line for a fine if it had not been sorted

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-000-turf.html

If the Brighton game is anything to go by it's about time.

Will be interesting to see how it performs.

It was intended for the Spurs pitch, which was going to be used for NFL games, where a LOT of foot "purchase" is required, especially at line of scrimmage etc. so even if it is synthetic, it might fit our game better, providing good support underfoot, short "grass" etc (just hope they don't drown it as a synthetic surface wont need the regular dowsing Bielsa seems so fond of).

So is it grass or not grass?

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    So is it grass or not grass?
    This is what they will be laying;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FieldTurf

but unlike the Spurs pitch (which was completed for the 2019 games and intended to be "refreshed" for 2020, but wasn't because of Covid);

https://talksport.com/sport/us-sport...-london-games/

the pitch at ER will be just the "NFL turf".

Interesting safety stuff from the Wiki information. Seems that the artificial turf is no more dangerous than normal turf for MCL, but knee strains and ACL injuries are more prevalent, probably due to the type of play that you get in the NFL, unlikely in professional football this side of the pond (we hope!). At seasons end its supposed to "hasta la vista" NFL turf and a whole new real grass pitch laid. This ought to allay some of the concerns around the safety of the artificial playing surface?
    Last edited by WTF11; 23-01-2021 at 05:16 PM.

I layed some fake grass in the summer at the daughters. I was sceptical about it at first but was surprised how good it is. Grandson was throwing himself around on like an Aston villa striker and doing dives liked he'd scored the winner at Wembley, I thought he would burn his knees and elbows but nope and it won't be the same quality, I hope, that is going down at ER

Always thought they were horrible things but maybe technology has improved them.
    Can’t beat the green green grass of home.

Hybrid pitches are everywhere these days. It won’t make any difference to playing on an all grass pitch. It does feel slightly different but not in a bad way, it’s not quite as soft as natural turf.
    It’s a relief after last 2 matches and will enable us to play our style of football again. So long as the pitch as been put down correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer999 View Post
    Hybrid pitches are everywhere these days. It won’t make any difference to playing on an all grass pitch. It does feel slightly different but not in a bad way, it’s not quite as soft as natural turf.
    It’s a relief after last 2 matches and will enable us to play our style of football again. So long as the pitch as been put down correctly!
    A number of professional rugby teams use them - Sarries and Ealing for example.

Supposed to be faster to run on than grass too.

I have played on it. Will be good for Leeds and their passing quality. It plays very true. I hate it because I am a garbage goal striker. Drains well.

It’s harder on joints as you can, and do, cut much harder and much easier to get a head of steam up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)