+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centre forward in the 6 yard box please

Centre forward in the 6 yard box please

If it’s one thing we need is a centre forward who can make runs and live in the 6 yard box. There are loads of goals to be had in there and no one is there to put in the back of the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_1982 View Post
    If it’s one thing we need is a centre forward who can make runs and live in the 6 yard box. There are loads of goals to be had in there and no one is there to put in the back of the net.
    Dont you think Woodrow is the man for that but he needs some 'muscle' up front with him to allow him to play that game? Hes the best finisher we have I think.

I could be.....but needs to be in there and stay on his feet first and foremost. Most of his goals have come from the penalty spot.

Not only that I think he is a bit light weight if I’m been honest. Gets shoved of the ball far too easy if he is to be the 6 yard box centre forward that we are looking for.

If you look at where Woodrow is at his most effective it's when he gets in behind a defence .

I take the point it was league one but that is where he scored the majority of his goals that season , Southend and Plymouth away and Donny at home off the top of my head .

In the championship it doesn't happen as much for him because defences are far better and so the goals he does get tend to be instinctive striker type goals which isn't really what he is , somebody like Sam Winnall was the classic instinctive striker .

Once he gets in behind he's lethal , the opening goal at Rotherham for instance at Christmas .

If you took the penalties off his tally in the championship his goal tally wouldn't be that impressive .

Still our best forward mind , by a country mile .

That is very true indeed....but I feel Chaplin would be so much better at playing on the last defender with his quick blast of pace to get on the end of a cross fired in to make sure he get into the 6 yard box. Where as Woodrow likes the ball to his feet. Play Chaplin Further up top with Woodrow behind....but that’s just me.

And if you have Morris on the pitch get the ball out wide and cross in nice and high where as Chaplin you need to really fizz the cross in....you need to play and pick a cross Tailored to each centre forward you have on the pitch. Play to there Strengths not to the other teams strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    If you look at where Woodrow is at his most effective it's when he gets in behind a defence .

I take the point it was league one but that is where he scored the majority of his goals that season , Southend and Plymouth away and Donny at home off the top of my head .

In the championship it doesn't happen as much for him because defences are far better and so the goals he does get tend to be instinctive striker type goals which isn't really what he is , somebody like Sam Winnall was the classic instinctive striker .

Once he gets in behind he's lethal , the opening goal at Rotherham for instance at Christmas .

If you took the penalties off his tally in the championship his goal tally wouldn't be that impressive .

Still our best forward mind , by a country mile .
    I take all the points you mention Animal.

My view is he is capable of scoring all kinds of goals and his career return of 101 appearances for us with 44 goals is impressive in my opinion. I dont know how many are penalties. all teams get them and someone has to score them.

For me, Woodrow was at his best when Moore was alongside releasing him to use his instinct as a predator but when Moore was injured he stood up and led the line as best he could and we still made promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    I take all the points you mention Animal.

My view is he is capable of scoring all kinds of goals and his career return of 101 appearances for us with 44 goals is impressive in my opinion. I dont know how many are penalties. all teams get them and someone has to score them.

For me, Woodrow was at his best when Moore was alongside releasing him to use his instinct as a predator but when Moore was injured he stood up and led the line as best he could and we still made promotion.
    It's not really a criticism of Cauley Ethel , I think it's down to playing in a team that doesn't always play to his strengths , look where Struber had him playing last season .

This season results are better but we aren't a team who constantly get in behind teams with the ball on the floor .

I reckon if Woodrow played in a better technical team such as Brentford or Norwich he'd probably get twenty goals and that's without penalties .

What need to do is play to the players strengths end of really but we need a 6 yard pickpocket and we don’t have one. Someone who can play on the last shoulder and get in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast