+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Match Thread vs. Torquay United 23.01.21 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by St Kitts Magpie View Post
    I agree with this... How many proper chances did we have yesterday other than Wootton in injury time?....another thing, are Notts players allowed to shoot from outside the area?.. thought there were a few chances yesterday and no one seems willing
    I made reference to this in the in game comments and it was a little frustrating. It requires players to have the confidence to shoot from outside the box. A save from the keeper could mean it goes out for a corner or it could come back out and fall to a Notts player to shoot or have a tap in.

I thought we were trying to pass and walk the ball into the back of the net by looking for a narrow opening in the box to thread the ball through to which is fine when it comes off, but the door was quickly closed or the moment passed by on a few occasions.

Last season we were scoring some great goals from outside the box and they appear to have dried up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Not sure that the players are being told NOT to shoot from outside the box. I think it’s more to do with confidence in Enzio’s case and the rest simply aren’t capable, so don’t take it on.
    We miss Cal Roberts big time. He is the one player who can drag this side forward. He was a massive part of our good run before the first lockdown and getting him back ASAP will go a long way to determining whether we can have a crack at chasing down Torquay.
    Chasing down Torquay....?
    That boat has already sailed.
    Yesterday was the day to send out a statement of intent.
    The statement I got is we will try to hang on to a play off spot and leave the rest to lady luck...

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    @Woody. Yes of course I think he's bothered it's his career, it's his livelihood. Bar maybe Howard Kendall I'd suggest all Notts managers have been bothered during my time. Which haven't in your eyes?

@i961, thank you sir for highlighting this. I get asked direct questions all the time from lots and lots of posters, so I answer them because they are usually about Notts. But this part isn't the problem.

The threads only get ruined when the #threadkiller inserts himself into proceedings to make sure the thread goes away from the topic and anything linked to Notts and ends up with petty personal squabbles.
    In my eyes? Very condescending, Laddo. Let's see, Ardley, Hans Backer, Kendall and Ince yes, Fullerton, Kewell, Sven, Murphy and Thompson (sat next to them at Wembley, sniggering how **** we were,) Sheridan, the guy that used to play for Swansea, lasted one game, Hart. I'm sure there are others. Get a job, three year contract, wtf, does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Good post, you only have to look at enzio for proof, I except Ardley was unlucky last season finishing when we were on a huge roll but we actually look weaker this season.
    I agree we look weaker this season

I do not agree Ardley was unlucky last season, even though we were on a roll we were 7 points behind barrow, having played a game more, with only 9 games left , not only that there was also Harragate above us who were on a roll themselves, and we saw how that one played out first at Wembley then in the FA trophy, so only about a 1 in 100 chance we would have overtaken both

Look up "Caucus Race, Alice in Wonderland" in your favourite search engine, "...everybody wins and all must have prizes" and then tell me Neal "Dodo" Ardley isn't a fan of Lewis Carroll.

Another roll of the dice, or should it be Russian Roulette, team selection and tactics.

Good players, crap manager, 0-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    In my eyes? Very condescending, Laddo. Let's see, Ardley, Hans Backer, Kendall and Ince yes, Fullerton, Kewell, Sven, Murphy and Thompson (sat next to them at Wembley, sniggering how **** we were,) Sheridan, the guy that used to play for Swansea, lasted one game, Hart. I'm sure there are others. Get a job, three year contract, wtf, does it matter?
    It isn't condescending in any form, it's simply a way to ask which managers you would add to the 2 managers previously quoted.

That's quite the list, looks like Ardley is joining a long line of both bothered managers at Meadow Lane.

Steve Thompson wasn't bothered when he was Notts manager? He may have subjected us to god awful football that made some of the Junior Magpies ask parents "Why?" with a face full of tears but of course he was bothered. Why wasn't Fullarton bothered in first job a a 1st team manager?

Sven is an interesting one.

Faboulous Howard Kendall facts.
    If that season had begun with his first game in charge, we'd have been 16th when he got sacked. We were also the 8th highest average scorers per match during his reign and we only lost once at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    This is what can happen when you let anyone apply, they give a good interview but once they have the job just do as they like knowing that at worse they get a golden handshake (often worth more than many of us earn in years) this is why I hope that we identify a target & at least sound him out before we employ our next manager.

Stats report now up for the Torquay match. Have also taken a closer look at the player ratings and how we can drill down further on each players overall minute by minute contribution https://www.nottscountystats.com/pos...uay-united-h-1

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I made reference to this in the in game comments and it was a little frustrating. It requires players to have the confidence to shoot from outside the box. A save from the keeper could mean it goes out for a corner or it could come back out and fall to a Notts player to shoot or have a tap in.

I thought we were trying to pass and walk the ball into the back of the net by looking for a narrow opening in the box to thread the ball through to which is fine when it comes off, but the door was quickly closed or the moment passed by on a few occasions.

Last season we were scoring some great goals from outside the box and they appear to have dried up as well.
    It’s interesting how we’re scoring completely different goals this season to last: this season it’s team goals (personified by the winner against Stockport) with most of the goals being scored in the penalty area; last season it was often individual moments of brilliance (like Enzio’s versus Woking, Barnet, Chesterfield, Cal’s against Barnet, Barrow, etc).

I guess if we were told at the start of this season that we’d be without Cal Roberts for most of it until February, we’d have expected to struggle a bit, and that’s how it’s worked out. I love some of Ruben’s trickery, but he needs to start being a bit more ruthless in front of goal. Then we’d have one heck of a player.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516