+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go on Raith...

The Championship is not a given right now for Hearts, although you’d think over the stretch they are still likely to emerge on top. But Raith can’t be discounted, Dunfermline are still up there and even the likes of ICT who have loads of games in hand and seem to generally improve in the second half of the season can’t be ruled out.

Struggling to think of any other credible challengers though to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Stumbled over the line most likely. One win in seven and struggling for goals before the league finished. Beaten at home by Arbroath during that spell with a team that had NINE of this seasons first team regulars in it!! As they say, winning breeds confidence and ours was cleary shot. We were turgid, brutal to watch & devoid of ideas, but we had a big enough gap over ICT for them not to catch us imo. They would've had to win almost all of their last nine games to pip us.

Could he be doing the same with the Jambos? He better hope not because they don't have as big a lead over the rest as we did.
    World have been great to go to Dens second last game of the season as champions though.

As much as MM bothers me and his decisions and selections bother me AJ, aye yer totally correct!

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    As much as MM bothers me and his decisions and selections bother me AJ, aye yer totally correct!
    Don't get me wrong I'll be a bit pi55ed if we don't beat the Midden, but I can see little signs of progress albeit painfully slow.
    I remind myself of this especially when reading the Jambos kickback literally against Robbie and thinking back to when he was with us, or even further back to Mixu,
    Where would we be now with either at the helm

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    A bit like this season, awful to watch, anyone would think we are fighting for our lives playing in a higher league against the likes of Celtic and Rangers with pretty much the same players,

Oh wait a minute, just looked, we are, I might give this Mellon fella a few more games then
    Exactly!!!!!!

The team that lined up vs Arbroath that day and got beat 0-1:

Siegrist
    Smith Connolly Reynolds Robson
    Pawlett Powers Butcher Sporle
    Shankland Sow

Bar Sow, every one of them has played a big part this season. Seven or eight of them start every week without fail.

IMO another factor in all of this is that MM is actually setting his team out to play how they are playing. He is asking them to keep it tight. We aren't boring & defensive because the manager isn't motivating the players or the players aren't believing in the manger as what seemed to be the case with Neilson. MM realises how limited we are from back to front and sees any kind of point as being better than no point. Points = survival and that is all that matters this season. It's pish. We all want to attack, we all want to score goals, but I'd rather we were a Premiership team next season because we kept it tight as opposed to a Championship one that went down because we've attacked teams and opened the floodgates.

Mellon took a Championship team and got a draw at Pittodrie the other week. As much as I wanted us to beat Saints and Hamilton, what would the scores be in those 3 games (especially the away games) with Robbie in the dugout.

Many different opinions on MM so far this season. I think like most, i'm content enough with the way we play if we pick up enough points to survive this season, Anything else is a bonus (although top 6 or even a small cup run would be good) MM knows his limitations with the squad and has looked at ways to make us hard to beat/solid hoping that it would pick up enough of points for us this season and so far it's had us in a decent position in the league (never below 8th i think?!) Being able to get basically the same squad from last year be comfortable enough in the league has shown he is a manager who is good at working with what hes got. (even if it was forced)

I do think however he could maybe be more ambitious with the squad we currently have. We do have players who are capable of causing teams problems but we seem to always resort back to the 5 at the back formation and want to grind results out. We show glimpses of good play but not enough. His happy to draw rather than risk for the win i think frustrates fans. MM's way of thinking will only be accepted if we survive comfortably this year and then there is a big improvement on style next season. He won't be able to play the "just surviving is good because we've just been promoted" card next year.

I do think we are doing better currently with MM than if we had RN but i do think some of the criticism of RN is harsh. yeah we weren't great after the new year last season but we got ourselves into a great position beforehand. yeah RN was helped in his spell at united by getting funded by MO and having shankland but previous managers have been well backed and not managed what he done so I think a bit of credit for him getting us back up and less disrespect imo. the manner he left and some of the football he played wasn't great but i appreciate what hes done for united and i dont have anything bad to say about RN tbh.

Darren, not sure if you're fishing or it's an early April fools, Robbie built a lead because for a while in Autumn 2019 he played a system that created chances for Shankland

Shankland's goals built the lead, Robbie then signs Sow who gets injured then bloody Bingham who's true level is where he is now.
    Too stubborn to revert back to what worked he then continued tinkering.
    The amount of tinkering was out of order, the inability to make obvious needed changes during 90 mins was out of order as was the manner in which he left.

Just like Mixu I respect everyone who has been of service to the club but like Bingham Robbie is back at his true level but for how much longer who knows

Whilst wishing him no harm but like most Arabs I'm glad he's gone

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    World have been great to go to Dens second last game of the season as champions though.
    You wouldn’t be thinking specifically about a certain ‘Guard Of Honour’ per chance Terry?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)