+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frank Gone

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Thats a dedicated fans myopic view of the world of business. In reality, Chelsea approached Mel for permission to speak to him, which was granted, the discussions and the eventual offer came after a protracted period, nobody knows why that was, it could ahve been Frank making sure his contract suited him, which after all is what everyone of us would do in the circumstances, but whatever it took longer than expected, although he joined on 4 July, so given contracts run to 30 Jun normally he did nothing wrong and we got £4 million compo. or Mel did!

The impact on us, some delay I guess but nobody knows exactly what the impact was unless you like a convenient scapegoat!

Those are the the facts, it was always a gamble for Frank but financially he wont be hurt. Poetic justice for a person exercising his contractual rights in a proper manner? PLeeeze!
    As usual, you're being economical with the truth, Swale. Yes he did sign for Chelsea on the 4th July, which was nearly 3 WEEKS after Sarri had left Chelsea, who needs 3 WEEKS to sort out a contract when it's damaging the club who have taken a chance on giving you your first management opportunity? That was 3 weeks lost planning for us, 3 weeks missing out on potential new signings, 3 weeks of uncertainty. What would have happened if he couldn't agree terms with Chelsea, if you remember, we as fans, just wanted to know where we stood.

What the flip has the 30th June got to do with it, his contract had over a year to run?

If I want to enjoy his demise, who the flip are you, to say otherwise?

Jeez yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    From memory Swale the hold up was because Juventus were burgering about regarding the £6m compo chelsea wanted as Sarri still had 2 years left on his contract, the compo to us for Frank was all sorted at £4m but Frank couldn't go till Sarri had gone, within hours of Sarri going to Juventus Frank went to Chelsea, and as you say we got 4m compo, nothing to do with Frank weighing up his options, this scenario was discussed with Mel from the outset, if they came in for me would you let me leave, Mel said yes, so as soon as the job became available Frank then went, don't see how he screwed us over?
    If you when you say hours, you mean 480 hours, then I suppose that your correct.

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia Ram59

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia Ram59
    A simple google search, revealed enough club announcements and newspaper reports, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    As usual, you're being economical with the truth, Swale. Yes he did sign for Chelsea on the 4th July, which was nearly 3 WEEKS after Sarri had left Chelsea, who needs 3 WEEKS to sort out a contract when it's damaging the club who have taken a chance on giving you your first management opportunity? That was 3 weeks lost planning for us, 3 weeks missing out on potential new signings, 3 weeks of uncertainty. What would have happened if he couldn't agree terms with Chelsea, if you remember, we as fans, just wanted to know where we stood.

What the flip has the 30th June got to do with it, his contract had over a year to run?

If I want to enjoy his demise, who the flip are you, to say otherwise?

Jeez yourself!

No I'm correctly summarising the situation, your slagging off Lampard for something that wasn't his doing, which whilst understandable from a fans point of view is not reality.

Plus your a touch hypocritical, seeing as if you were offered a job at somewhere you wanted to go with a substantial pay increase, you would not hesitate to go. Now your current employer might be aware of that, but until you handed in your notice, could do nothing about it. I doubt you'd hand your notice in until you had signed a contract (well you'd be daft if you did) with your new employer.

I've had that situation with employees on many occasions, often for as long as 3 months, welcome to the real world and not the imaginary one inhabited by you.

Here's what I think:

Chelsea asked for permission to speak to Frank, and Mel spoke to Frank to see if he wanted to have that discussion, or to dismiss it. Bear in mind that there may have been a clause in his contract to allow him to talk to PL clubs if he wished, we don't know. Either way, Mel would have spoken to Frank first out of courtesy or contractually, Frank said he wished to speak to Chelsea.
    Thats it. Frank chose to leave after just one season - not just one season at Derby but one season of management. He went to a club where he was hero worshipped by fans but that had an owner with no patience and no loyalty to managers. It was an incredibly risky thing to do, and completely unnecessary. The job will be available many times in the future.
    He made his choice, it hasnt worked out well for either of us but we've moved on and I'm happy with what we've got for now.

Maybe then Abramovich was guilty of nostalgia and romanticism.
    Lampard had, after all, had only one season’s worth of managerial experience and, having inherited a Derby side that had finished sixth, he went on to...finish 6th. Hardly a massive achievement.

It isn’t so much the way that he left that bothered me, as Swale suggests...some offers are just too good to turn down, it’s the fact - and I think we’ve been here before - he left us in a weaker and worse position than he found us.

3 weeks maybe BUT the delay was down to Chelsea trying other managers first and getting knocked back......

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    No I'm correctly summarising the situation, your slagging off Lampard for something that wasn't his doing, which whilst understandable from a fans point of view is not reality.

Plus your a touch hypocritical, seeing as if you were offered a job at somewhere you wanted to go with a substantial pay increase, you would not hesitate to go. Now your current employer might be aware of that, but until you handed in your notice, could do nothing about it. I doubt you'd hand your notice in until you had signed a contract (well you'd be daft if you did) with your new employer.

I've had that situation with employees on many occasions, often for as long as 3 months, welcome to the real world and not the imaginary one inhabited by you.
    I prefer to live in my decent, honest world, which has cost me financially on a couple of occasions over the years, so it's not imaginary. But, maybe your comments reveal more about the type of person you are and the kind of world you would choose to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I prefer to live in my decent, honest world, which has cost me financially on a couple of occasions over the years, so it's not imaginary. But, maybe your comments reveal more about the type of person you are and the kind of world you would choose to live in.
    Oh come off it, your not that naïve? Or maybe judging by your comments on this and other things you are!

So explain how Frank wasn't a) decent and b) honest?

Does your decent and honest world involve honouring a managers contract when you don't like his performance?

Or sacking a team a team captain because he is injured and it saves money? Not that it did in the end! Didn't notice you getting in a righteous froth about that clear disreputable action by the club.

No wonder you voted for brexit, completely clueless!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)