+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frank Gone

Quote Originally Posted by Ramondo View Post
    Here's what I think:

Chelsea asked for permission to speak to Frank, and Mel spoke to Frank to see if he wanted to have that discussion, or to dismiss it. Bear in mind that there may have been a clause in his contract to allow him to talk to PL clubs if he wished, we don't know. Either way, Mel would have spoken to Frank first out of courtesy or contractually, Frank said he wished to speak to Chelsea.
    Thats it. Frank chose to leave after just one season - not just one season at Derby but one season of management. He went to a club where he was hero worshipped by fans but that had an owner with no patience and no loyalty to managers. It was an incredibly risky thing to do, and completely unnecessary. The job will be available many times in the future.
    He made his choice, it hasnt worked out well for either of us but we've moved on and I'm happy with what we've got for now.
    I agree, it was all done properly, Mel agreed the approach the appropriate compensation was paid. Frank would have been well advised to hone his skills at Derby, after all he could be under no illusion as to how Abramovich operated, but he made his choice, no doubt the risk was tempered by the fact he will pocket a few million anyway, not that he needs the cash.

I see everyone's still getting on really well then.

I'm trying I really am!

Indeed you are

Amazing that Chelsea have managed to squeeze 3 weeks worth of contract negotiations into 1 day, for their new manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Amazing that Chelsea have managed to squeeze 3 weeks worth of contract negotiations into 1 day, for their new manager.
    Not really, they one they have just sacked went quietly and with no quibbles over his payment, perhaps they learned from last time?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Not really, they one they have just sacked went quietly and with no quibbles over his payment, perhaps they learned from last time?
    You never cease to amaze Swale.

From what you have just written, am I correct to assume that you have intimate knowledge that Chelsea have reached agreement with Lampard and they've learn't their lessons from last time when they 'sacked' Sarri? Trouble is, they didn't sack Sarri, just like we didn't sack Lampard.

The 3 weeks of negotiations took place after Sarri had already left and after Derby had given permission for Chelsea to approach our manager. God knows why they took 3 weeks, surely they only needed to discuss his wages and what staff he could have, there was no transfer budget to discuss, as they were under an embargo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    You never cease to amaze Swale.

From what you have just written, am I correct to assume that you have intimate knowledge that Chelsea have reached agreement with Lampard and they've learn't their lessons from last time when they 'sacked' Sarri? Trouble is, they didn't sack Sarri, just like we didn't sack Lampard.

The 3 weeks of negotiations took place after Sarri had already left and after Derby had given permission for Chelsea to approach our manager. God knows why they took 3 weeks, surely they only needed to discuss his wages and what staff he could have, there was no transfer budget to discuss, as they were under an embargo.
    Didn't Chelski try a few other managers first and got knocked back which was why they finally turned to Frank?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Didn't Chelski try a few other managers first and got knocked back which was why they finally turned to Frank?
    I apologise, you're correct there, but it was still more than a week of negotiations, after he went for the job, which must be one of the longest job applications processes that I've heard of for a football manager, some aren't even in the job for that long. lol

I like Lampard and thought he was doing just fine, but he got his head turned by a Premier team, one which he played and broke records for so there was really only one outcome!
    What he should have done was stay here for another season or two to learn his trade properly and see where it would lead him. The thing now is he'll only want to manage in the Premiership which he could do but he'll never win anything there. The top 6 now know he isn't good enough.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)