+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wes Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    We’re a big club in non league with a big budget compared to most. Of course our recruitment should be good. I’m not as convinced as you that it is good though.
    I think the recruitment was very good last season, very average this season. Reeves is the only new signing who's been an ever present, and I'd probably give him a 6/10 rating. Decent player, but with him and Doyle in the centre, we just don't have an imposing, athletic midfield.

Ruben is also a 6/10, but with the potential to be much higher. Great that he finally got through 90 minutes on Saturday (was there a touch of cramp at the end?), but he's got to be more of a threat in and around the penalty box - most of his good work happens in the space between the halfway line and the penalty area right now.

The others - Sam, Knowles, Wolfe, the departed Graham, Chicksen, Pilling - haven't featured enough to grade them, which in itself says they're not seen as being ready for the first XI (though Pilling wasn't signed for that reason, I guess).

And of course there's the Sloth problem, which has left us a midfielder short all season (since Wolfe has only been deemed worthy of game time in the league).

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    None of us know to what extent radar are involved.
    Ardely has said they often ring him up in the evening asking him what he thinks of this player or that player, so it's probably safe to assume they work quite closely together and that most, if not all signings have been agreed between them, though obviously Ardley will suggest some to start with and vice-versa. It's probably a major factor in the owners sticking with him, knowing that they've got a manager who isn't going to be difficult over their transfer policy or impose their will too much. Whether or not it's working for Notts is another question.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I think the recruitment was very good last season, very average this season. Reeves is the only new signing who's been an ever present, and I'd probably give him a 6/10 rating. Decent player, but with him and Doyle in the centre, we just don't have an imposing, athletic midfield.

Ruben is also a 6/10, but with the potential to be much higher. Great that he finally got through 90 minutes on Saturday (was there a touch of cramp at the end?), but he's got to be more of a threat in and around the penalty box - most of his good work happens in the space between the halfway line and the penalty area right now.

The others - Sam, Knowles, Wolfe, the departed Graham, Chicksen, Pilling - haven't featured enough to grade them, which in itself says they're not seen as being ready for the first XI (though Pilling wasn't signed for that reason, I guess).

And of course there's the Sloth problem, which has left us a midfielder short all season (since Wolfe has only been deemed worthy of game time in the league).
    All fair enough.

The best signings for me since we’ve been in non league have been Rawlinson, Lacey and of course Roberts. I think generally they’ve been too hit and miss. Or the manager hasn’t had enough cajones to play new/young players on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    We’re a big club in non league with a big budget compared to most. Of course our recruitment should be good. I’m not as convinced as you that it is good though.
    Having a big budget in comparison to others in the league does not guarantee good recruitment, far from it. There are many many examples up and down the leagues to illustrate this. Money helps but as we know throwing money at recruitment doesn't guarantee success.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Having a big budget in comparison to others in the league does not guarantee good recruitment, far from it.
    It doesn't guarantee it, but it certainly helps, and it helps in a big way. It means you can offer that bit more compared to other clubs if you are all chasing the same player.

There are many many examples up and down the leagues to illustrate this. Money helps but as we know throwing money at recruitment doesn't guarantee success.
    And there are many more examples that show a big budget is one of the major requirements for success. You can always cherry pick a few examples where it hasn't worked (I would go for Forest), but you only have to look at the league tables to see that a big transfer budget works far more often than not.

Agree with all of that Elite, that's why I said "money helps", it gives you an advantage for sure. However as you saw BFP suggested that cos our budget is big naturally good recruitment follows, if only. There is no guarantee.

Sadly we don't even need to look over the River Trent for an example of throwing money at it and failing but nicer to be reminded just how much the Red Dogs have spent trying to get back to the promised land of the Premier League. Scary figures spent and still no closer, probably furthest they've been away since they were in L1

We've had good squad budgets compared to others in plenty of seasons when we were in L2 and rarely threatened promotion.

I'd say recruitment in the last 2 years has been slightly better but still pretty average. As Fatty mentioned, several of the signings this season have not broken in to the team regularly and two loan signings are back at their parent clubs having made no impact at all. We still seem to have a scatter gun approach to loans which puts us in a very privileged position compared to other clubs in the league.

Despite this, there are still areas in the team where there are glaring holes. Clearly we have the means to patch the holes, but there is a reluctance from the management to change certain personnel.

Our players will probably be amongst the highest paid in the division. Roberts had a new contract very recently for example. I think we have every right to expect more of a return. Especially considering Football Radar's involvement.

I'm not convinced they are the ones suggesting signings. They just don't seem the type to be pushy.

Having a big budget in comparison to others in the league does not guarantee good recruitment, far from it. There are many many examples up and down the leagues to illustrate this. Money helps but as we know throwing money at recruitment doesn't guarantee success.

Having a comparatively big budget of course doesn’t guarantee anything. Recruiting well though is a lot easier with a big budget than a small one.

Out of all those signed this season there are only 3 players that actually look any good. Roberts, Reeves and Knowles. Knowles for some strange reason doesnt get picked, regardless of him scoring goals. Rodrigues is a 45minute man, Sam wouldnt get into our local pub team, Chickson has dissapeared off the face of the earth and Miller looks like being another one of Ardleys failures...

Yup BFP without a doubt it makes it easier. One of the big positives since the brothers arrived has been the recruitment. Early days still but some very promising signs. We are actually signing players we have a chance to sell on for more. Almost unheard of at Meadow Lane.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast