+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Welsh Football Clubs In English Leagues, Lose Out On Welsh Government Grant

Welsh Football Clubs In English Leagues, Lose Out On Welsh Government Grant

The Welsh Government has announced a grant of £17.7 million, it is a funding package to help spectator sports, hit by the financial impact of the coronavirus.
    But Welsh clubs in the English leagues, do not benefit, Rugby, Horse racing, & Cricket among the sports benefiting.

So Cardiff City have submitted an application, to the English Football League, for an £8 million support package, to help stabilise finances over the coming months.

Seems strange that Cardiff City F.C. are asking for money, after just buying 2 players in the last 2 weeks, but there is sacked manager Harris to pay off.

I suppose it all depends how much these players cost? Buts that’s why football is so out of synch. Some clubs borrowing way beyond their means.

You’re right in the fact, if clubs can afford to buy players then they don’t need support.

Cash flow problems being blamed at Cardiff. Some reports say they are losing £3M per month, not sure if it's true, if it is then that's a huge loss over the season.
    Any loan Cardiff take from the EFL has to be paid back within a certain amount of time. A loan is debt.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-64-FRANK View Post
    Cash flow problems being blamed at Cardiff. Some reports say they are losing £3M per month, not sure if it's true, if it is then that's a huge loss over the season.
    Any loan Cardiff take from the EFL has to be paid back within a certain amount of time. A loan is debt.

I am getting sick of these stories that help to reinforce my view that many football clubs do not appear to realise the current pandemic applies to EVERYONE.

Not sure of the figures but I believe the TV revenue for Championship clubs equates to just over £0.5m per month (based on around £7m per annum??). On average they'll have two home games per month and if they're allowed crowds (20,000 ave per game??) that is probably another £0.5m per game that they are missing. Don't know what they accrue through merchandising, sponsorship, etc but I'm struggling to see how they comply with "fair play" regulations but still allegedly lose £3m per month.

In my business, I am constantly checking my financial projections, etc. What do the directors, executive officers, etc actually do at these clubs?

We have had to change the way we work on site and amend our Risk Assessments & Method Statements, provide additional/relevant PPE, all at our cost. Otherwise, we wouldn't be allowed to work on sites.

There are many businesses struggling or even going bust due to the pandemic, due to it preventing them from having customers in their premises. Why should football be treated differently?

Why do football clubs think they should be different, allowed to continue to spend beyond their means, blame everyone else, then claim 'compensation' - repayable or not?

Well that's Welsh clubs for you, always looking for a baaaagain