+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Wright

Scott Wright

I like many others were very disappointed to hear that he had signed a pre contract with Rangers but I was more annoyed to think that our best two young players ( Ryan Jack as well) had gone for no fee. Add to that Jack Grimmer, Fraser Fyvie and Ryan Fraser and we have made next to nothing fee wise for the young players we have produced over the years. Mabye we live in different times but Dundee United and Hibs got millions for selling home grown players such as Armstrong, Conway, Brown, Griffith and the like. Hibs funded a large part of the redevelopment of Easter Road on player sales. The key was getting these youngsters on long term contracts so that when the OF and others came calling they had to pay to get them. We don't seem to have done the same and end up getting nothing when their contracts run out. Cormack has stated that Aberdeen must produce their own talent and we now have Cormack Park for doing so, and to sell on a proportion of these players to fund the club in the longer term. We must change the way we deal with player contracts so that we reduce the number of players we lose in this way.

As others have pointed out, the jury was out on Wright before this season, but once he started to play well with Hedges, his performances improved and so was worth a contract which the club tried to offer. By that time he decided to knock back the club's approach. At what stage should we shell out long term contracts? In January 2020, I wouldn't have thought a 3/4 year contract for him would have been a wise move for the club

Completely agree!

Looking through the player sales records then with the exception of McKenna you have to go back to Fraser in 2013 to get a homegrown player sold on for any type of fee.

What's equally as damning though is the amount of players that we have signed that have been released on frees, with the exception of Hayes then there really isn't anyone of note who has commanded a fee. Perhaps Mclean but he was in final months of contract so it wouldn't have been a huge amount.

The only way a club like Aberdeen will ever be able to move up a level is through player sales and we just don't have that mindset in the management it appears. We have to look to be selling players the summer after they have a good season if any bids come in as more often than not they were a one season wonder and we're end up stuck with them for the duration of their contract.

Since McInnes has come in (Mar 13) he has signed 42 players, not including loan players and 87 players (including youth) have departed.

That is a shocking statistic when you look at who, out of those 87 players, we have made any money from.

Quote Originally Posted by Br0chred View Post
    As others have pointed out, the jury was out on Wright before this season, but once he started to play well with Hedges, his performances improved and so was worth a contract which the club tried to offer. By that time he decided to knock back the club's approach. At what stage should we shell out long term contracts? In January 2020, I wouldn't have thought a 3/4 year contract for him would have been a wise move for the club
    Ryan Fraser fits the bill here too.

Good little free-marketeer Thatcher’s grandchildren though, values which I assume would be applauded on here by those of similar attitude.

Hey-ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Br0chred View Post
    I always thought Wright was a good prospect but young players go through spells when their form suffers. However club staff should be able to see long term potential and offer contracts accordingly. Ryan Fraser and Fraser Fyvie were always going to make it and that should have been apparent from early on. Shankland was another we should have been able to see as a really good prospect but we let him go and now he is playing for Scotland. Any problems with Shankland should have been able to be ironed out rather than let him go. You will never get them all right contract wise but we need to do substantially better and I am sure Cormack will do everything to make it happen.

Ooooooft.

Name:  8A932A6D-5A1F-40F5-8486-77E740184509.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  18.1 KB

Good

F’uck off Wright you hun b’astard.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Ooooooft.

Name:  8A932A6D-5A1F-40F5-8486-77E740184509.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  18.1 KB
    Why is Hun pixilated??

Aye, fuuck him. Hun rat.

He’s fuuckin lucky a banner is all he’s facing just now.

Re the topic, I agree with the sentiment, but I think we’re improving in this regard as the deals for McKenna, Ferguson and McCrorie have proved - Cosgrove too if we get decent coin now or this summer.

I give the club a pass on Wright. He’d done nothing before this season to justify a new deal. He’d been constantly injured. It’s a mark if the character of the wee rat he is that he’s jumped ship now, and to them too.

The point re Fyvie, Fraser etc is fair. Not Shankland though who was a fat waster when he was here. It’s very unusual for a player like that to sort out his attitude so I’ve no issue with the club dumping him when we did.

It’s the Shinnie and McLean type situations that annoy me. We should be selling these guys for good money, which means sorting out a new deal 18 months before they go out of contract, or selling if they won’t extend.

Hedges is the perfect example now and a bit of a test case for me. He’s Playing very well, value increasing, 18 months to go.

We should be speaking to him now about an extension - even with a release clause and price. If he won’t extend, we sell this summer - aye, and down south, we never sell willingly to the arse cheeks, ever.

That has to be the way forward with all the players who have a transfer value from now on. The fact we’ve failed to operate this way for years shows what a Mickey Mouse outfit we’ve been - but then Milne was running the show so what would you expect...

He's dead to me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast