+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: St Mirren home

The set-piece issue has to be addressed ASAP..... If the ball doesn't go near Connolly or Edwards (benched just now) we are losing the first header every time. Reynolds can be reasonable at times but his percentage of headed wins for a centre back is poor.
    Teams are well aware of this issue and (as last night) actually targeting our full backs from their free kicks, putting taller players up against LS and JR, knowing they will win the first ball comfortably which in turn makes the second ball a lot more dangerous and a lot harder to defend.

As some have said, it might be better to go 5 at the back with Edwards returning and adding a bit more height for defending free-kicks and corners. I would play 5 - 3 - 2 with Shankland up top with Clark or McNulty or Apperre,and bring the others on at some point in the second half. There is no room for the 3 usual suspects in that team. It is forcing us to leave certain players on the bench and stopping the young guys getting a chance.This problem will only be added to when Fuchs and Butcher return.

Said it for months we are in a relegation dog fight. Same head in the sand mob who dont watch the games thought i was talking ****e and we were 6th how could it be possible! This Manager simply has to go IMO. Even if he does stick around and gets more time out of it im expected to pay 25 quid to sit and watch the most disgusting football I've ever seen us play. Theres so many things wrong at the minute. He is creating a bit of a mess on the playing side of things. Last night Paul Mcmullen could quite easily have started or come on at half time. Our only player capable of running at defenders and getting us up the park is let go. Madness. Theres so much more wrong i can't even be bothered listing. Its like watching a car crash happen in slow motion all over again.

With the exception of maybe Connolly and Benji every player is a worse version of himself since Mellon took over.

2 year deal for Clark and Harkes🤣 the invisible men running our midfield, worrying. We need some signings this window or we are down.

Quote Originally Posted by bannon_ftd_83 View Post
    Said it for months we are in a relegation dog fight. Same head in the sand mob who dont watch the games thought i was talking ****e and we were 6th how could it be possible! This Manager simply has to go IMO. Even if he does stick around and gets more time out of it im expected to pay 25 quid to sit and watch the most disgusting football I've ever seen us play. Theres so many things wrong at the minute. He is creating a bit of a mess on the playing side of things. Last night Paul Mcmullen could quite easily have started or come on at half time. Our only player capable of running at defenders and getting us up the park is let go. Madness. Theres so much more wrong i can't even be bothered listing. Its like watching a car crash happen in slow motion all over again.

With the exception of maybe Connolly and Benji every player is a worse version of himself since Mellon took over.

2 year deal for Clark and Harkes🤣 the invisible men running our midfield, worrying. We need some signings this window or we are down.
    I'd genuinely like to hear what you think MM should do with this group as you seem so confident that there's an simple fix.

Every player being worse is just nonsense. They are no better, but they aren't worse. They're up against far better players than they were last year and it shows, badly.

Harkes was an Asghar deal. Mellon wasn't even at the club at the time. Not sure if you're blaming the manager for that or not? He is also not first or second choice midfielder so he isn't the the man running our midfield. He's filling in as our two first choices are injured. Clark I'll give you. That ones baffling.

Think every one of us is feeling a bit stung by last night, but being honest it was due. My main issue with MM is he doesn't seem to feel the sting, it's ok protecting players from time to time it's not ok to say our squad is fine when it clearly isn't, 1 win in 10 or something?
    So it's very much not ok, the sub issue is players hiding behind the fact that manager is saying its all fine.

Message to Ogren, this is nowhere near a team capable of top 6, and whether that's the players, formation. MM, you or even the feckin soup, wake up, step back and actually look. The playing side needs fixed.
    You'll get tuppence hapenny for most of these if you're lucky
    We are United, load of bollox, we have regressed into a pale sad shadow of teams we were proud to stand together and support.

Still both incredibly soft. Reynolds gives the boy the chance to go down but there's nothing in it. Beaton got conned! if that happened the other way around Shaughnessy would be going mental. Never a pen.

2nd one ill still give JB benefit of doubt where it happens so fast and he doesn't have slowed down replays to look at but its still harsh. Shankland's jumping to try and block the ball whilst turning. What is he meant to do? He got booked for that aswell?!!

Both soft and harsh. Inconsistency of the decisions is what frustrates everyone. These situations will happen on Saturday with a different ref and get different outcomes. It ruined the game. United were miles off it but those soft pens at the time they happened killed us.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    For the first 20/25mins last night, there was nothing to separate the teams. They probably had the "territory" without having any real chances on our goal. The best chance of the game came from Powers.
    Then they score the typical poor set-piece goal that we seem to concede. I was still confident that we could get back into the game as we weren't playing that bad and it was very even game.
    Then John Beaton took over! Let's face it he got conned for the first one. The softest Penalty you will ever see. Then he gives an equally soft one a few minutes later (Although I can see why that one was at least given). It reminded me of the Cammy Bell game v Dunfermline. Guess who the ref was for that game?! you guessed it BEATON! It totally ruined the game. An even game then looked like a doing and out of reach.

MM then decides to make the completely wrong subby by taking off the only player who was able to keep the ball and throw on a young boy who's hardly played (not his fault). Yeah we got some reaction at the start of the 2nd half but we were never going to be able to sustain it. Harkes scored a good goal (which is frustrating as it shows he can do it) but the game petered out. Got hit on the counter which makes it look like a real doing. By the end I don't think anyone knew what they were doing. Shambles.

Notes
    1. We really need to get a grip with our set pieces For and Against.
    2. Beaton ruined the game but MM's tactics/subbies didn't help. (442 only works with certain players in that shape)
    3. Nicky Clark is not a centre midfielder. Need Butcher and Fuchs back.
    4. Robson has been terrible for a few weeks.
    5. We are in a Dogfight.

It might be good in the long run as it SHOULD! refocus us similar to the killie/rangers games earlier in the season but we all know he will just shut up shop and play for draws again.
    agree with most of that

Still both incredibly soft. Reynolds gives the boy the chance to go down but there's nothing in it. Beaton got conned! if that happened the other way around Shaughnessy would be going mental. Never a pen.

2nd one ill still give JB benefit of doubt where it happens so fast and he doesn't have slowed down replays to look at but its still harsh. Shankland's jumping to try and block the ball whilst turning. What is he meant to do? He got booked for that aswell?!!

Both soft and harsh. Inconsistency of the decisions is what frustrates everyone. These situations will happen on Saturday with a different ref and get different outcomes. It ruined the game. United were miles off it but those soft pens at the time they happened killed us.
    Probably the most balanced poster on here when it comes to match reviews & analysis. An excellent post as usual Darren. 👍🏼

Not sure I agree with playing for draws however. I'd say he plays to not get beat. We simply don't have the players to get us the win half the time. Our full backs lack end product, we have nothing in midfield in terms of creativity and lets face it, McNulty has been a massive flop considering his pedigree which leaves us with Shanks trying to do it all himself. We'd almost be as well sending McNulty and Bolton back such are their contributions since they arrived.

We weren't miles off it at the time the penalties were awarded though, we were 0-1 down and still in the game.

[QUOTE=tHeArAb;39685532]Probably the most balanced poster on here when it comes to match reviews & analysis. An excellent post as usual Darren. ����

Obviously i completely disagree with the above but yes he is pretty good.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)