+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Effiong

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    As alluded to in my Enzio post and briefly mentioned in a recent NA interview he needs to learn to track back and defend. That's what forwards are for (or is that rugby?).
    Yep, that's exactly what natural goalscorer should focus on. If I were Mansfield I would recall him and either have him on the bench there or send him somewhere to actually get first team football.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    Yep, that's exactly what natural goalscorer should focus on. If I were Mansfield I would recall him and either have him on the bench there or send him somewhere to actually get first team football.
    I've just seen on iPlayer Hudson-Odoi chase back from the edge of Wolves' penalty area to block what would have been a free shot at goal by Dendoncker. Quite impressive awareness and obviously expected in Tier 5 also.

If i was the clubs owner i would want to know why we sign players on loan, just to sit on their backsides for most of the time..

Why are we worried what Mansfield and Barnsley think. If they aren't happy both clubs will contact Notts and recall both players, until then we are just assuming they are upset by the lack of 1st team action.

As my mate Stall said pre-match you can only start 11 players. Some players have to miss out each and every week.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    If i was the clubs owner i would want to know why we sign players on loan, just to sit on their backsides for most of the time..
    If I was the club’s owner I would want to know why we sign players on contracts, just to sit on their backsides for most of the time ...

There is a limit to the number who can start each match, and a limit to the number on the bench. If the squad is big enough to cope with injury, poor form and Covid-19, it’s big enough for some fit and in-form players to be left out at times, because they are not seen by the manager as the best options.

I happen to doubt some selections, but that’s based on very little information. Even the combination of Doyle, Reeves and O’Brien, which appears tactically naive, could be better than the alternatives when all factors are weighed up by people who have the evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    It should be cheaper atleast to have a young loan player on the bench instead of a player who is fully ours, who would also be on their backside most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Why are we worried what Mansfield and Barnsley think. If they aren't happy both clubs will contact Notts and recall both players, until then we are just assuming they are upset by the lack of 1st team action.

As my mate Stall said pre-match you can only start 11 players. Some players have to miss out each and every week.
    We should be worried because the next time we want to get a loan player from Mansfield or Barnsley and we face competition for them, who do you think those clubs will favour? The one offering game time or the one offering splinters from the bench? Do you think Sheffield United will see us as a good place to send their players after Sam Graham’s limited game time this season?

I think we should be using the loan system to improve our first XI, not fill out the squad. We actually have 18-year-old youth team players who can sit on the bench the way Wolfe’s had to do for the past three months.

The right loan signing can give you quality players you wouldn’t normally be able to afford - no one knows that better than us after our experience with the likes of Grealish, McGregor, Yates and Grant. Shouldn’t this be what we’re striving for?

But we are guessing that they are upset right? Until they recall we won't know. I suspect their are many loan players not getting much time at our level due to postponements.

Clearly covid limited playing time for all especially Wolfe but I get your point. It's not a great look but their are mitigating circumstances this season.

Our 18 year old youth players are very unlikely to change a game the way Rodders or the Knowles has, that's the problem with that sort of bench warmer. You have to be good enough and ready to warrant a place on the bench. The substitutions this season have on multiple occasions have been effective.

Of course we want the likes of Grealish, Ince, McGregor, that's the aim and we should aim for that game changing quality they provided. They just aren't that easy get especially when you are NL.

Hopefully we've restored some reputation with our neighbours across the river when it comes to loaning their young talent. Sadly after the Yates affair, they are more likely to go up the A60 especially as the football is better in L2.

These guys are going to get a chance when the fixtures start stacking up, their young and need to be dipped in and out of games as cover initially and then show what they can do but opportunities have been limited. Knowles has done well, when he started a couple of games he was less effective performance wise and that's why it just needs a bit of time to build them up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12