+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gibbs

Gibbs

I know Sawyers is getting a lot of criticism, and rightly so. But that performance from Gibbs v Man C was awful and the Sawyers criticism is masking over it a bit. Full backs are a problem area for us because Furlong wasn't much better on the other side.

I honestly would be happy just to release Gibbs on a free and never see him in an Albion shirt again. I'd rather see Townsend every week, or if he's injured then our U23s left back George Harmon. Gibbs is shot. And I'd rather see O'Shea at right back.

Agree. We have real problems on both flanks at full back. Townsend needs to replace Gibbs and O'Shea needs to replace Furlong. Townsend has improved greatly and although Furlong is fine going forward, defensively he is poor. His positional sense is non existent leaving the opposition acres of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Agree. We have real problems on both flanks at full back. Townsend needs to replace Gibbs and O'Shea needs to replace Furlong. Townsend has improved greatly and although Furlong is fine going forward, defensively he is poor. His positional sense is non existent leaving the opposition acres of space.
    I do agree with you (LB and 123) about Gibbs/Townsend, and that Furlong isn’t good enough defensively, but, I think, sadly, that O’Shea too is a very weak link.

Gibbs Experienced at top level yes
    But his best days were as an overlapping fullback in attacking Arsenal team. Now that his hamstrings are so fragile its defensive duty only, ive not seen him even try an overlap this season.
    You get the impression at any time he could get injured again.

Furlong is really erratic. Showed promise at times but some truly awful performances especially at home recently. I know how exposed he has been but look at the space Leeds, Arsenal and City had or our RHS. Furlong up the pitch or running past him like a statue.

I’ve constantly slated Gibbs on here.

A total lightweight who has shown absolutely no desire to be here or to ever be up for the fight.

A terrible signing.

I love Gibbs. Experienced and has a good footballing brain. My Arsenal mate says he was really appreciated at Arsenal. A fans favourite. BUT if he is going to be spending too much time in recovery maybe he should be moved on. The trouble is now that the group is that shot mentally it might take a major overhaul now and maybe a few years. Or should I say a few more years. Good ownership is essential otherwise we will just be going around in circles.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

A total lightweight who has shown absolutely no desire to be here or to ever be up for the fight.

A terrible signing.
    Could not agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

A terrible signing.

The two keys words in your comments are NO DESIRE and he's got zero! Get rid! Furlong was crap too against Man City. Should we name the players who are good and fight for the cause? Know let me think ...................

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    The two keys words in your comments are NO DESIRE and he's got zero! Get rid! Furlong was crap too against Man City. Should we name the players who are good and fight for the cause? Know let me think ...................
    Well he has often been slated on here but at least Bartley puts his body on the line, along with O’Shea that’s about it...

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)