+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nathaniel Mendez-Laing

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing

.....is he on his way?

Free transfer apparently having left Cardiff at the beginning of the season! Some internal investigation apparently?

Might be a good one for him to get his career back on track and would allow knight to move back into the centre of the park if required!

I'd be far happier passing judgment if I:

a) had an idea about the lad as a player
    b) knew why he was, basically, sacked by Cardiff
    c) why no other team has gone for him so far

We already have 2 "players with issues". Do we need a third? Ibe has his mental health issues as does Lawro. Mendez-Laing appears to have a not in the public eye issue. A risk too far?

I put my faith in the club not to take too great a risk. If they sign him he will be deigned to be no great risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I'd be far happier passing judgment if I:

a) had an idea about the lad as a player
    b) knew why he was, basically, sacked by Cardiff
    c) why no other team has gone for him so far

We already have 2 "players with issues". Do we need a third? Ibe has his mental health issues as does Lawro. Mendez-Laing appears to have a not in the public eye issue. A risk too far?

I put my faith in the club not to take too great a risk. If they sign him he will be deigned to be no great risk.
    I guess if he is free then worth a punt, but I would still be concerned, presumably we did "due diligence" with Ibe or did we just say he's a potential quality player on a free and find it out why he hasn't played much afterwards?

I'd rather we had taken Keogh back but i guess we will see.

The comment under the youtube video I just watched, "Has the ability but has the end product of a cat on speed".

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    The comment under the youtube video I just watched, "Has the ability but has the end product of a cat on speed".
    He will fit right in then

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I guess if he is free then worth a punt, but I would still be concerned, presumably we did "due diligence" with Ibe or did we just say he's a potential quality player on a free and find it out why he hasn't played much afterwards?

I'd rather we had taken Keogh back but i guess we will see.
    Free isn't free though, is it? No club will get a fee but it's pretty well certain the player and his agent would both get a signing on fee.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Free isn't free though, is it? No club will get a fee but it's pretty well certain the player and his agent would both get a signing on fee.
    True, but then that happens if you pay a transfer a fee, so there is a saving of between a couple of £100,000 and couple of million, so saves on the transfer budget.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    True, but then that happens if you pay a transfer a fee, so there is a saving of between a couple of £100,000 and couple of million, so saves on the transfer budget.
    I was possibly being pedantic with semantics. Players and their agents tend to get a higher signing on bonus if there's no transfer fee but, yes, it's still lower than a fee plus signing bonus.

your right no transfer is ever truly free, in fact in some cases the associated fees etc. are eye watering, though hopefully not with our sinings!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)