+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The EU wtf

The EU wtf

Despite my ramblings on the brexit issue and the problems for importers (and exporters).. wtf are the EU playing at? I heard they were slow to approve the astra vaccine, if that’s the case then it’s their own fault. Having worked with some EU funded projects in the past it’s no surprise to me the level of bureaucracy to get things done. Based on what i’m reading, how childish are these EU officials in charge?

Happy Friday eve btw folks.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Despite my ramblings on the brexit issue and the problems for importers (and exporters).. wtf are the EU playing at? I heard they were slow to approve the astra vaccine, if that’s the case then it’s their own fault. Having worked with some EU funded projects in the past it’s no surprise to me the level of bureaucracy to get things done. Based on what i’m reading, how childish are these EU officials in charge?

Happy Friday eve btw folks.
    For 24 years I’ve had the European distribution rights to a certain brand Regis.

I’ve always worked really well with my direct contact throughout that period and it’ll be extremely sad when he retires in a couple of years.

On two occasions I’ve had to meet the ultimate boss of the company, two different men over a period of time.

The level of incompetence, stupidity and total ineptitude was staggering, both men were imbeciles, neither had a commercial brain at all and both were real europhiles, weighed down by dogma and procedures.

On one occasion I introduced a friend from Northern Ireland who was a successful sports wholesaler and a person who owned various brands distribution rights for his region.

He was a real expert in the golf trade and he wanted a brand of his own that he could build.

I had the golf under my umbrella of goods with this brand but I wasn’t doing much with it so Iintroduced him through my contact to the brands CEO.

The idea was that I’d have an agreement with the Irish lad whereby he paid a royalty ( as I did on the products that I bought with the brand name on ) and that he’d cut me in for 5% of the value of the goods he’d be importing for me standing aside.

He didn’t like the brands present golf products though, they were dated and not appealing to the market even in 2000 and because he had factory contacts in China and his own design team he wanted to create his own range with the brand name on.

This was the right idea, absolutely no doubt about this and it would help the brand itself move forward and improve as it could move in line with his designs.

The CEO was incredulous, pompously gesturing and giving this air of arrogance about why they didn’t need to go down this route but he would go away and “think about it”.

My friend Michael turned to me after the meeting and said......”Sorry Mick, but whatever he decides I cannot work with a f u c k I n g cretin like that”.

So the idea died that day.

20 years later my old Irish friend has his own very successful brand called MD Golf ( unbelievable that he used my initials......a p I s s take I think! )

He dominates the mid range golf market and is really clever at mimicking the products the top brands like Nike,Ping and Callaway produce and if the CEO hadn’t been such a prick then I’d have made a lot of money and the brand would now be a really valuable one.

In terms of golf it actually no longer exists!!

Throughout my 30 years ( this week ) in the sports trade I have hardly met any European business leader I have rated.
    Last edited by mickd1961; 29-01-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    For 24 years I’ve had the European distribution rights to a certain brand Regis.

I’ve always worked really well with my direct contact throughout that period and it’ll be extremely sad when he retires in a couple of years.

On two occasions I’ve had to meet the ultimate boss of the company, two different men over a period of time.

The level of incompetence, stupidity and total ineptitude was staggering, both men were imbeciles, neither had a commercial brain at all and both were real europhiles, weighed down by dogma and procedures.

On one occasion I introduced a friend from Northern Ireland who was a successful sports wholesaler and a person who owned various brands distribution rights for his region.

He was a real expert in the golf trade and he wanted a brand of his own that he could build.

I had the golf under my umbrella of goods with this brand but I wasn’t doing much with it so Iintroduced him through my contact to the brands CEO.

The idea was that I’d have an agreement with the Irish lad whereby he paid a royalty ( as I did on the products that I bought with the brand name on ) and that he’d cut me in for 5% of the value of the goods he’d be importing for me standing aside.

He didn’t like the brands present golf products though, they were dated and not appealing to the market even in 2000 and because he had factory contacts in China and his own design team he wanted to create his own range with the brand name on.

This was the right idea, absolutely no doubt about this and it would help the brand itself move forward and improve as it could move in line with his designs.

The CEO was incredulous, pompously gesturing and giving this air of arrogance about why they didn’t need to go down this route but he would go away and “think about it”.

My friend Michael turned to me after the meeting and said......”Sorry Mick, but whatever he decides I cannot work with a f u c k I n g cretin like that”.

20 years later my old Irish friend has his own very successful brand called MD Golf ( unbelievable that he used my initials......a p I s s take I think! )

He dominates the mid range golf market and is really clever at mimicking the products the top brands like Nike,Ping and Callaway produce and if the CEO hadn’t been such a prick then I’d have made a lot of money and the brand would now be a really valuable one.

Throughout my 30 years ( this week ) in the sports trade I have hardly met any European business leader I have rated.
    That is some account of those European businesses. I’ve not experienced anything of that sort but I could potentially in the near future. Funny enough I have a few European friends from my University who i’ve become great friends with, but I would never put them in that category of being difficult. I wonder if it is those at the EU as mentioned by many on here are the problem and they just have not grasped what reality is. Their rule, or don’t bother attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

Sums up my experience, exactly.

I was bought in by one company to overhaul one of their more archaic methodologies. Being in the Financial sphere, it was already heavily regulated.

After 6 months work, I managed to whittle down the company inefficiencies, and create an over 60% improvement. It wasn't implemented.

Why? I was told that the Managers had their yearly bonus, based on 5% improvements, and if these ideas were accepted, then they would have no room to award the bonus in the following years.

This is rife in the EU.

The issue has always been the officials elected to the European Commission/Parliament/Councils and not individual states as a whole. This US and Them is on BOTH sides
    But repeating myself again not actually at an individual national level. There is mutual respect for the UK in Germany and in many of the low countries.
    Perhaps only the French have any tangible bias against us. French national pride always. Some of its roots go back to WW2 when their history books describe how the British forces retreated back to England blaming us on their capitulation. Of course the true fact is that the French surrendered very soon into the invasion leaving the bulk of our army on their soil. Whist our government was desperately trying to salvage our army so we could defend ourselves the Germans were marching into Paris without a shot fired in anger against them. We’ve seen those pictures of the Nazi commander on his horse parading his troops.

Ursula is another failed politician really disliked in Germany. As defence minister she famously underfunded their armed forces to the level that the Soldiers had to improvise with broom handles when on a military exercise! During the same period she did however introduce free children’s kindergartens for the soldiers children !

You cant fit every dog breed in a handbag. You cant squeeze 20 odd cultures into the EU without lots of discomfort.

I voted to remain...but this week shows why so many voted to leave , EU so slow in there procurement that they are scratting around looking for the culprit.... well I’ve got news for them ...it ain’t us .
    FOL

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)