+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrews game

Shrews game

Expect one change for today. Dale for Walker (clear he is not match fit). After our big improvement on Saturday expect no further changes. Believe that is our strongest side, and on that can improve. Finney was a bit more involved in last game but if he wants to move on he has to up his contribution.

Pleased that we have Pixie for the rest of the season, and that Kirks is still with us. Those 2 are an essential part of our team.

Dale, Powell and Johnson in for Walker, Kirk and Jones. Jones not on the bench again.
    Udoh up front for the Shrews.

Poor first half. They look reasonable going forward but poor at the back, wheras we are reasonable at the back and poor going forward.
    Should have been one down after 30secs but apart from that no real worries. Johnson looks Ok in defence, but low on confidence going forward. Produced a good cross for the goal.
    Finney is doing nothing at the moment.
    Dale is on the left and Powell on the right, might be better swopping round.

3 points and a clean sheet.

And frankly, who cares how we got them!

3 points but the worst game I've seen this season. Each game we play seems to be worse than the last. We won but only because the Shrews were even worse than we were. I'm getting a little fed-up of the on-field dogma which determines that if there is an ounce of doubt about a pass, then you MUST pass backwards. Those free kicks half way in our half. One went back and then straight out for a throw-in just 10 yards wider than the original kick. The second, most of the Shrews were facing the ball, defending their goal but.....goes backward to Beckles who is chased down by the only player anywhere near the Alex defence so the ball goes back again to the keeper who half hits a panicky clearance (because the opposition have now charged on to attack from their defensive positions) which travels about 25 yards and eventually their is a shot that Richards has to fumble away for a corner. Why did it happen? Could the players offer a rationale for why it happened? If you want to play safe passes, at least play them forwards. Keeping possession does NOT necessarily mean the ball has to go backwards.
    Thankfully, their defence gave us a goal, otherwise we would never have scored. Dale seems to have reverted to type. His great run of form an aberration. Shame about Finney, he looked in agony and I hope he's okay but he could have been saved that pain by being deservedly replaced 10 minutes earlier. However, his replacement, Lowery, seemed to have been told to play deep left wing for some reason. Walker came on to play deep central midfield. Not sure about these placements but it was clear in the last ten minutes there was no intention of scoring another goal.
    Suddenly, i'm becoming a sceptic. If I have to be bored rigid by a performance, then I'd rather it was with some attempt to get the ball forward and possibly score.

Afraid I cannot agree. The worst display we have had for a long time has to be the recent Gillingham game where 2 of our midfield players could not be bothered to support our two novice fullbacks and left them totally exposed.

The team display against Shrewsbury was thoroughly professional with every player doing their utmost to support their fellow players. The young fullback Johnson was again playing and thanks to the support of the more senior players he had a steady game. With this solid base in our team I believe that we can only improve, building attacking moves from the back. That is the way that all the top teams play.

Yes it was not the perfect display and lacked attacking moves. This is why it is so essential we have Kirk in the team where his combining with Pixie is so important. Our management in training should be concentrating on making out right side more balanced and an attacking threat too.

If we are going to continue with this high pressure game it is also important that we consider a midfield replacement in case Murphy or Wintle get injured. Could that be Evans, Griffiths or someone else? Another possibility could be Sass-Davies who is strong, has good passing, is comfortable with the ball at his feet, and mobile.

The game on Saturday will be interesting.

Lowery????

It seems I'm in the minority re: Shrews performance. However, I maintain that the last 15 mins were NOT about preserving our one goal lead but almost a surrender to a doctrine of playing safe. The opposition had virtually conceded the game after the red card and the majority of our possession in that final period was around the half-way line with no intent evident. One thing it wasn't was 'digging in' to protect our lead as there little to protect against.

Red Card???

I thought it was a very good defensive performance, and I was glad to see Richards moving the ball out of the box in various ways, rather than just dropping it at his feet for Beckles. As an attacking force we were non-existant. Mandron put in an awful lot of work with no support- he must be beginning to feel frustrated. Dale and Powell tried without much success, but put the effort in.
    I thought the whole defensive seven (inc Wintle and Murphy) had great games, Johnson had one of his best games so far and looks a real prospect.

All in all a different but welcome 3 points. Sat will be interesting- will Kirk travel or not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast