+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR (Again)

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Not talking about the offside, talking about the penalty. What is the keeper supposed to do when he's going down for the ball and making himself as low and wide as possible, defy the laws of physics and stop before the attacker hits him? The Chelsea player knew he had played the ball too far and would never retrieve it, so rather than jump over the keeper (which he clearly had time to do) left his legs in a position where Ramsdale couldn't avoid contact. THAT is clear from VAR footage but rather than leave "as is" or perhaps penalise the Chelsea player, he gives a penalty.

Stupid rule, stupid use of the technology. If it didn't exist refs would have to think a bit more and posture a bit less.

As for blaming refs when they appear to get it wrong, sure, been like that since football started up, so what, they choose to be referees, nobody twisting their arm to wear the black kit. Perhaps if as a body they were seen to be making representations to the powers that be to improve both the rules AND the use of VAR I'd have some sympathy with them, but they don't and I haven't.
    They are improving the rules

Start of the season pens where been given right left and centre

Then the law was adjusted
    You think the chelsea pen was not a pen, no issue with that, that is your view.
    VAR is here to stay, it is not going away.
    Only my view it needs to stay.

The way it is used can be looked at in various ways
    Refs make the decision there and then on offside no VAR intervention
    That will take out the lines

But surely you must agree that we cannot have, decisions like the Henry punch that got France to the finals and not poss Ireland

Personally I did not want VAR in the game one bit.

I had the attitude you get a decision one week and it goes against you the next week, swings around.

But what gets me there was a media frenzy about with refs not getting decisions correct

Goals 2 inches offside, then it was the couch spuds like Ian Wright Alan Shearer Danny Dull Murphy
    Putting the lines on for us and saying, its offside its offside how come the refs cant see it..
    Now the same people who wanted bloody VAR are bloody complaining
    Goal line tech works well no issue

VAR can but it needs to be used with common sense

Quote Originally Posted by klix View Post

But surely you must agree that we cannot have, decisions like the Henry punch that got France to the finals and not poss Ireland

I had the attitude you get a decision one week and it goes against you the next week, swings around.

But what gets me there was a media frenzy about with refs not getting decisions correct

Goals 2 inches offside, then it was the couch spuds like Ian Wright Alan Shearer Danny Dull Murphy
    Putting the lines on for us and saying, its offside its offside how come the refs cant see it..

Goal line technology - good - it works well as it is a simple yes or no

reviewing foul play after the game - works okay

VAR - wrong on so many levels and takes away from the enjoyment of the game as you don’t know if the moment of magic you just saw will stand.

It is clearly not perfect and replaces view of the ref with the view of the video ref so it’s nothing like the binary yes or no of goal line tech. Couple that with rules made by bureaucrats and it is a disaster. Benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker rather than looking to see if one atom from his elbow is offside.

Not sure there are many current or former pros who like it.

Football is supposed to be fast paced and flow - VAR ruins that - the running to the halfway line to look at a monitor is often a farce.

I think all it does is heap more pressure on the refs whilst also taking away their authority.

VAR may also be responsible for a couple of injuries where otherwise the game would have stopped for an obvious infringement instead of playing on - Van Djyk’s injury occurred like that I think.

If it was one or two touch and go decisions per season season then fine but we seem to have at least one calamity per week.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post

VAR - wrong on so many levels and takes away from the enjoyment of the game as you don’t know if the moment of magic you just saw will stand.

It is clearly not perfect and replaces view of the ref with the view of the video ref so it’s nothing like the binary yes or no of goal line tech. Couple that with rules made by bureaucrats and it is a disaster. Benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker rather than looking to see if one atom from his elbow is offside.

Football is supposed to be fast paced and flow - VAR ruins that - the running to the halfway line to look at a monitor is often a farce.

I think all it does is heap more pressure on the refs whilst also taking away their authority.

VAR may also be responsible for a couple of injuries where otherwise the game would have stopped for an obvious infringement instead of playing on - Van Djyk’s injury occurred like that I think.

If it was one or two touch and go decisions per season season then fine but we seem to have at least one calamity per week.
    The refs have not got the *******s to go on the decision they have made

Just because you go to VAR does not mean you give that decision
    You must go on your decision only
    That is a major issue our refs are weak that's why they dont get the big games in world football

Its proved VAR gets 98% correct
    Part of football is the enjoyment of celebrating a goal, but part of football is not watching players diving falling around try to get a pen cheating
    At least they cannot do that

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Not talking about the offside, talking about the penalty. What is the keeper supposed to do when he's going down for the ball and making himself as low and wide as possible, defy the laws of physics and stop before the attacker hits him? The Chelsea player knew he had played the ball too far and would never retrieve it, so rather than jump over the keeper (which he clearly had time to do) left his legs in a position where Ramsdale couldn't avoid contact. THAT is clear from VAR footage but rather than leave "as is" or perhaps penalise the Chelsea player, he gives a penalty.

Stupid rule, stupid use of the technology. If it didn't exist refs would have to think a bit more and posture a bit less.

As for blaming refs when they appear to get it wrong, sure, been like that since football started up, so what, they choose to be referees, nobody twisting their arm to wear the black kit. Perhaps if as a body they were seen to be making representations to the powers that be to improve both the rules AND the use of VAR I'd have some sympathy with them, but they don't and I haven't.
    Chris Wilder
    I have no complaint with the penalty given

Clears that up

Its proved VAR gets 98% correct
    Part of football is the enjoyment of celebrating a goal, but part of football is not watching players diving falling around try to get a pen cheating
    At least they cannot do that
    They could clean up diving and blatant cheating overnight if they wanted to - video reviews post game with hefty fines and points deductions - suspended initially and coming into force if repeated.

Rule needs to be clear and deliberately enforced.

No incentive to though as TV loves
    controversial moments and gives the pundits thinks to talk about and over analyse. The governing bodies are too wedded to the TV money not least here

They could clean up diving and blatant cheating overnight if they wanted to - video reviews post game with hefty fines and points deductions - suspended initially and coming into force if repeated.

Rule needs to be clear and deliberately enforced.

No incentive to though as TV loves
    controversial moments and gives the pundits thinks to talk about and over analyse. The governing bodies are too wedded to the TV money not least here
    Absolutely spot on with diving and cheating
    Should have done that 10 years ago

And maybe the Henry incident it's simple
    Play the game again

Maybe - just know VAR is so much worse than video replay in rugby or US Football and drives me crazy with not only some of the decisions but the constant breaks in play.

No one in the EFL is crying out for it - one thing the EFL got right!.

To be human is to err and a key part of sport is rub of the green. High paced game with no breaks for me every day of the week

Maybe - just know VAR is so much worse than video replay in rugby or US Football and drives me crazy with not only some of the decisions but the constant breaks in play.

No one in the EFL is crying out for it - one thing the EFL got right!.

To be human is to err and a key part of sport is rub of the green. High paced game with no breaks for me every day of the week
    Tennis has it right
    Maybe you can contest 2 decisions each team per game if you think it went against you

It is not going away but something needs to change

And there is the rub, "common sense". Noticeable by its absence, in just about every decision that VAR is involved with, either because of downright f00king stupidity, examples being where it determines that a players short sleeve cuff being "offside (FFS!!) represents an unfair advantage to the attacking player, or slavish interpretation of the rules as they apply to VAR-related reviews by the match officials because to do otherwise would be "wrong" and not adhering to those same nonsense rules.

Easy changes that would help;

1. VAR only for penalty and confirmation of goal decisions (as per the Henry punch)
    2. Offside to be judged by the match officials during play only, no review
    3. Linesman to flag immediately they judge a player to be offside
    4. Goal line technology to be relied upon where the ball crossing the line is questioned

Simple, easy to implement, fair (the rub of the green rule applies), removes the most contentious area from interference by VAR.

Put that little lot to a vote by players and club management (NOT the F.A.), I suspect they would be behind it.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)