+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR (Again)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

VAR (Again)

I thought VAR had grown up (a little) but tonight the Scum v Southampton shows there is a LONG way to go.

First red for Southamptin absolutely no issue, dangerous tackle and you could see the stud marks above the knee.

Then VAR comes along and scrubs the Southampton goal for no logical reason whatsoever (just what faint thread of the Southampton players shirt/shorts/pubic hair took him offside?)

Then at the fag end of the match we have a referee who up to that point hadn't really put a foot wrong, taking half an hour to decide that the faintest of touched that my granddaughter would have shrugged off not only deserved a penalty but a red for the "offending" Southampton defender. VAR is again a joke, nothing more to be said.

Shocking pile o bollox

Really wish they would scrap VAR - football is supposed to be a fast free flowing game and decisions going awry should be part of run of the green.

Even now when I think about the offside at Palace I get annoyed.

And Arsenal v Wolves.....same sh1t, stupid rules administered by equally dumb-**** officials

Refs get paid a fortune these days, yet they do not referee,VAR does it for them, For me spoiling the game we all love, you would think it would have got better by now if its here to stay, yet after virtually every game there is debate surrounding it, oh and by the time it does reach a decision the players have cramped up..

In VARs defence, the rules are not helping.
    Also it does not get any credit when it gets it right.
    I watch games from Europe most days on Sky Bet and it works perfect....
    The other week Burnley V Man Utd
    Burnley would have been down to 10 men, but VAR took the play back and Luke Shaw got a booking,the ref missed that.
    It was a brilliant Var decision

Quote Originally Posted by klix View Post
    In VARs defence, the rules are not helping.
    Also it does not get any credit when it gets it right.
    I watch games from Europe most days on Sky Bet and it works perfect....
    The other week Burnley V Man Utd
    Burnley would have been down to 10 men, but VAR took the play back and Luke Shaw got a booking,the ref missed that.
    It was a brilliant Var decision
    They are bound to get occasional decisions right, simple law if averages, but VAR gets used not to correct clear errors, but to measure a gnats bollox width in offside calls where no such distance would materially affect the outcome

"Rules were made for fools and the GUIDANCE of wise men".

Yup VAR 1 Bad decisions 100

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    They are bound to get occasional decisions right, simple law if averages, but VAR gets used not to correct clear errors, but to measure a gnats bollox width in offside calls where no such distance would materially affect the outcome

"Rules were made for fools and the GUIDANCE of wise men".
    I get that WTF,
    But take the offside, if your offside by a inch or offside by 2 yards, your offside.
    You are either on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by klix View Post
    I get that WTF,
    But take the offside, if your offside by a inch or offside by 2 yards, your offside.
    You are either on or off.
    Hence my reference to rules, backing up your comment on them not helping.

It can't make any sense, no matter how many convoluted twists and turns the lawmakers dream up, for a players short sleeve, or the hem of their shorts, (or even, I would suggest, the heel of his (or her) boot), or as was actually the case recently their backside, to be considered relevant when deciding whether the player is offside. There simply MUST be some measure of interpretation of conditions, and the rules should allow that, which currently, clearly, they don't.

Black and white rules are not the norm in football. Take the appalling tackle early in the game, obviously a straight red, but I've seen similar tackles, which haven't made contact as that one did, that haven't even been given a yellow, despite the rules mentioning the showing of studs etc as justification for one, so leaving refs to interpret conditions of play and circumstances. The last red is another example, this time of where the ref got it wrong and VAR SHOULD have stepped in to correct his decision. I suspect most fans would appreciate VAR doing so, and so would refs, if they have any common sense. They are trained and paid to interpret and apply the rules but right now its a case of "the law is an ass".
    Last edited by WTF11; 03-02-2021 at 03:58 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)