+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A tale of realistic transfer-activity

A tale of realistic transfer-activity

Fellow Clarets,

After the takeover half of the Championship and 1/8 of Europe has been, and still are, linked with a transfer to Burnley FC. We can all dream, but at the same time we’re all reasonable enough to know that there won’t be massive activity this window or during the upcoming summer. We can’t expect three-four £20m-players to arrive, nor can we expect a similar “shock” as we did last summer with Lennon, Hendrick, Hart and Legdzins. From a side view, you could argue that three of them were barely used and therefore not needed. Despite getting a lot of stick, Hendrick was a versatile and useful servant. Did as best as he could in out of positions and fair play to him for that. It was maybe a mistake to let him go, but that was anyway out of our influence.

Lets have a look at the remaining team and where we actually need reinforcements and place two bodies in every position.
    We have three goalies and thats enough.
    We have eight defenders. Tarky will leave and that will have to be adressed during the summer, bacause I doubt the club is going to break its wage structure and principles. Gibson was probably ment for that role, but we know how that went. Long and Dunne will work as backups, unless the latter is Tarkys replacement. If so, a Dunne-replacement is needed. Bardsley is 35 and will either leave to get more minutes or retire, a longterm-replacement as RB is needed. Taylor and Pieters will be here after the summer, so we’re fine and covered at LB.

Left wing is earmarked McNeill/Brady, should Dwght leave then a replacement is needed. The central midfield is covered with Cork, Westwood, Stephens and Brownhill (+ Benson). Right wing is something that should be adressed as JBG is the only pure RW. (was covered by Hendrick)

When it comes to strikers we have four in Jay, Vydra, Wood and Barnes. Covered. We can argue as much as we want regarding Wood’s offside-play and Barnes’ 9-out-of-10-misses-at-open-barn-door-shots or his ball-hunting for birds on the rooftops, but we all know they'll be here at the beginning of next season. Only possibility would be if Vydra decides to leave. We can also add Joel Mumbongo to the list as a option. Thats five strikers.

In other words, gentlemen. We are going to be out for a central defentder, a right back and a right wing. We’ve seen that there are talents in our U23-squad and some of those will probably get their chance to play.

We must also keep in mind that who ever arrives is most likely to have wait for his chance, in other words injury or cup. Both Pace and Dyche praise the academy and we’ll see more players coming through the academy (Benson, Mumbongo, Driscoll etc.)

The PL can only register 25 1.st team players. My point is, if we were to change the ones that aren't good enough or could be replaced with better, we're talking about everything apart from Pope, Mee, Taylor and McNeill. And we know that's not going to happen.
    Last edited by doggert; 31-01-2021 at 08:13 PM.

After close scrutiny of Pace's recent interviews he sees the future in youth and undiscovered "gems".

In other words we are buying nowt and the shopping trolley is washed, waxed and back in storage...

Attachment 18268

Dyche has just announced in the Burnley Xpress signings unlikely.
    https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport...-dyche-3118843

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    After close scrutiny of Pace's recent interviews he sees the future in youth and undiscovered "gems".

In other words we are buying nowt and the shopping trolley is washed, waxed and back in storage...
    I assume that money from the sale of McNeill and Tarky will be made available for shopping, but as you mention Terrier, the future is youth. One other thing that could affect that is Brexit. We still don't know how that is going to affect football. Will it be free-flow of non-UK players or will it be restrictions like in Italy a while back with only three non-homegrown available. If so, a lot of the teams has serious issiues.
    Last edited by doggert; 31-01-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    Dyche has just announced in the Burnley Xpress signings unlikely.
    https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport...-dyche-3118843
    Yes, sir. I know. And the summer activity will most likely be in the chase of the positions I mentioned above.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by doggert View Post
    Fellow Clarets,

After the takeover half of the Championship and 1/8 of Europe has been, and still are, linked with a transfer to Burnley FC. We can all dream, but at the same time we’re all reasonable enough to know that there won’t be massive activity this window or during the upcoming summer. We can’t expect three-four £20m-players to arrive, nor can we expect a similar “shock” as we did last summer with Lennon, Hendrick, Hart and Legdzins. From a side view, you could argue that three of them were barely used and therefore not needed. Despite getting a lot of stick, Hendrick was a versatile and useful servant. Did as best as he could in out of positions and fair play to him for that. It was maybe a mistake to let him go, but that was anyway out of our influence.

Lets have a look at the remaining team and where we actually need reinforcements and place two bodies in every position.
    We have three goalies and thats enough.
    We have eight defenders. Tarky will leave and that will have to be adressed during the summer, bacause I doubt the club is going to break its wage structure and principles. Gibson was probably ment for that role, but we know how that went. Long and Dunne will work as backups, unless the latter is Tarkys replacement. If so, a Dunne-replacement is needed. Bardsley is 35 and will either leave to get more minutes or retire, a longterm-replacement as RB is needed. Taylor and Pieters will be here after the summer, so we’re fine and covered at LB.

Left wing is earmarked McNeill/Brady, should Dwght leave then a replacement is needed. The central midfield is covered with Cork, Westwood, Stephens and Brownhill (+ Benson). Right wing is something that should be adressed as JBG is the only pure RW. (was covered by Hendrick)

When it comes to strikers we have four in Jay, Vydra, Wood and Barnes. Covered. We can argue as much as we want regarding Wood’s offside-play and Barnes’ 9-out-of-10-misses-at-open-barn-door-shots or his ball-hunting for birds on the rooftops, but we all know they'll be here at the beginning of next season. Only possibility would be if Vydra decides to leave. We can also add Joel Mumbongo to the list as a option. Thats five strikers.

In other words, gentlemen. We are going to be out for a central defentder, a right back and a right wing. We’ve seen that there are talents in our U23-squad and some of those will probably get their chance to play.

We must also keep in mind that who ever arrives is most likely to have wait for his chance, in other words injury or cup. Both Pace and Dyche praise the academy and we’ll see more players coming through the academy (Benson, Mumbongo, Driscoll etc.)

The PL can only register 25 1.st team players. My point is, if we were to change the ones that aren't good enough or could be replaced with better, we're talking about everything apart from Pope, Mee, Taylor and McNeill. And we know that's not going to happen.
    Our future doesn’t lie in the premier league if that is the case , we have as I’ve posted many times before an ageing squad and it needs some serious overhaul and that’s now not next season as you allude to.

I have nothing against some of the players still being with us but they should be back up really,

I was looking at the likes of Brentford as a model for us which I don’t mind if we can start and find players like they do ,

Here’s my point though - we won’t find players like they do with Dyche at the helm he doesn’t have the trust in them -

I would rather they had been honest when buying into / taking over us at Burnley if the case is as this thread reads.

So in summary - we will play championship football and Dyche will leave

Team play is built around Sean Zedungs rigid system - one where doing just enough..is good enough - So if it's thought that getting by can be achieved with what we have - then why bring the new, if/when they do - is only to bolster what we already have...more of the same - plodders.
    I dont believe that Garlick restricted him the dosh - he knew his game, and as much as S.D might have expressed an interest in more wonga...he'd always clarify that he's good with what he has...because he knows, to bring something special would upset the plan - it'd require a reaction that'd echo to other positions - resulting in a shift of his game, another level - Tme and again we've heard it, "do the basics"....and thats all there is to it.
    I'd like to see it - butI doubt there'll be any great change under his tenure...that should suit Pace - just as it did Garlick.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

Team play is built around Sean Zedungs rigid system - one where doing just enough..is good enough - So if it's thought that getting by can be achieved with what we have - then why bring the new, if/when they do - is only to bolster what we already have...more of the same - plodders.
    I dont believe that Garlick restricted him the dosh - he knew his game, and as much as S.D might have expressed an interest in more wonga...he'd always clarify that he's good with what he has...because he knows, to bring something special would upset the plan - it'd require a reaction that'd echo to other positions - resulting in a shift of his game, another level - Tme and again we've heard it, "do the basics"....and thats all there is to it.
    I'd like to see it - butI doubt there'll be any great change under his tenure...that should suit Pace - just as it did Garlick.

New contracts this week for Long ( great servant) but why ? Peter’s back up as I’ve said before , JBG I’m asking why again ( what has he done to warrant a two year deal ?)
    Lowton - I’d say back up again

So whilst I can see stabilising squad numbers ( bodies ) , does this not restrict us from signing younger better options
    In other words we’ve just tied up more money on not what I would call assets - Sean’s doing - can’t be Pace s when we’ve already established he’s wanting youth / younger players ( gems he’s going to find).

Mr. Norder and Mr. Army,

Thank you for your replies and both of you are right. We do have an ageing squad, but can't expect rapid activity as that will upset the rest and affect the balance. One could say that spending £150m on 8-9 bodies is what the squad needs to have a brighter future, but at the same time it raises a question if SD will handle such a rapid change in the squad. If each player needs six months to get to the Dyche-standard (fitness, understanding of his gameplan etc.) and therefore won't be used during that time, then he has done as much as he can for Burnley FC in terms of progress and evolution. A few weeks with points every two-three months and manage to secure survival that's good enough if you don't have any ambitions.

If an injury is needed for a player to get a chance in the squad, then sadly a relegation is needed for Dyche to step down. By then we're back to status quo and back to being a selling club at a bigger scale than today.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    New contracts this week for Long ( great servant) but why ? Peter’s back up as I’ve said before , JBG I’m asking why again ( what has he done to warrant a two year deal ?)
    Lowton - I’d say back up again
    So whilst I can see stabilising squad numbers ( bodies ) , does this not restrict us from signing younger better options
    In other words we’ve just tied up more money on not what I would call assets - Sean’s doing - can’t be Pace s when we’ve already established he’s wanting youth / younger players ( gems he’s going to find).
    there a part of his machine....army....like for like - it's built into them - part off - part on - it Clicks the same !

but you know what I abhor most - Watching My team play...but watching the opposition for the football.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)