+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queens make a profit

Good post that sums up our wee club perfectly. We have only won 3 lower division titles and 2 Challenge Cups in 102 years - that's reality but like all the other diehards (dwindling tbh) I can still dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Good post that sums up our wee club perfectly. We have only won 3 lower division titles and 2 Challenge Cups in 102 years - that's reality but like all the other diehards (dwindling tbh) I can still dream.
    Don't forget the Borders cup😂🙈

Lets hope if we cannae win anything we can keep developing local players, and maybe even play them

I've been sitting reading some of the posts on this subject and I see Francis is getting a bit more grief and slapped down for wanting a decent side on the pitch. Yes of course finances are important, but supporters should want success for the club and seeing the club competing at the top end of the league at the very least.
    If supporters are happy with survival in a financial sense and just living in tbe championship, then congrats. It appears the club have been successful in this aspect. However you are all the same crowd who shamefully shouted for the manager to go and shouting that some of the signings were poor at best.
    This was all done by aj on the tightest of budgets remember. Now it's all high 5s because the club has made a profit this season and a bigger profit next year likely to follow.
    Once this pandemic is over, what are the chances of throwing money at the manager to build a squad that could maybe compete. I have my doubts that will ever happen, but hopefully I am proven wrong.
    A fan like Francis should be encouraged, not slapped down the way he was there by some. He is a supporter that wants to have a successful club who will compete, which appears to be a different opinion to others who are happier with showing profits.
    And as for dreaming, look at the lower clubs in the premier league. Hamilton, Ross county, livi, and then there's raith, Ayr, dunfermline, all clubs who are competing to get into the premier league or already there. Are these bigger clubs than queens? I don't think so! So I wouldn't say Francis or any other fan who expects the club to be playing at a higher level to where we are, is dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    I've been sitting reading some of the posts on this subject and I see Francis is getting a bit more grief and slapped down for wanting a decent side on the pitch. Yes of course finances are important, but supporters should want success for the club and seeing the club competing at the top end of the league at the very least.
    If supporters are happy with survival in a financial sense and just living in tbe championship, then congrats. It appears the club have been successful in this aspect. However you are all the same crowd who shamefully shouted for the manager to go and shouting that some of the signings were poor at best.
    This was all done by aj on the tightest of budgets remember. Now it's all high 5s because the club has made a profit this season and a bigger profit next year likely to follow.
    Once this pandemic is over, what are the chances of throwing money at the manager to build a squad that could maybe compete. I have my doubts that will ever happen, but hopefully I am proven wrong.
    A fan like Francis should be encouraged, not slapped down the way he was there by some. He is a supporter that wants to have a successful club who will compete, which appears to be a different opinion to others who are happier with showing profits.
    And as for dreaming, look at the lower clubs in the premier league. Hamilton, Ross county, livi, and then there's raith, Ayr, dunfermline, all clubs who are competing to get into the premier league or already there. Are these bigger clubs than queens? I don't think so! So I wouldn't say Francis or any other fan who expects the club to be playing at a higher level to where we are, is dreaming
    We are all entitled to our opinions and Francis as much as the next man but it is the incessant repetitive nature of the message almost regardless of the post topic that produces the reactions. We have heard his opinion endlessly and don't need to hear it on a daily or weekly basis to understand his passion and feelings. He who shouts loudest and longest is eventually lost to the background noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    We are all entitled to our opinions and Francis as much as the next man but it is the incessant repetitive nature of the message almost regardless of the post topic that produces the reactions. We have heard his opinion endlessly and don't need to hear it on a daily or weekly basis to understand his passion and feelings. He who shouts loudest and longest is eventually lost to the background noise.
    Absolutely this.

the trouble is spike the board obviously dont listen and take the action to prove me wrong ,i cant just sit aside and watch my club being taken for a ride by hewitson and co ,il always want progress and forward movement from queens never taking a backward step thats my way in life and expect it in my club ,so i will always berate negative progress no matter the cost .and queens atm are as negative as it comes making profits with one of the worst budgets to attract players in the league ,all i want to see from our board is forward thinking and progress on the park .
    Last edited by Francis_begbie_HFC; 06-02-2021 at 01:27 PM.

Francis, - you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, - as we all are. After all we live in a democracy.

Believe it or not, (despite some of my more critical posts) - I like everyone else, want Queens to be the best they can be, but we have to be aware of the absolute achievable limits.

In my humble opinion, - promotion to the SPL is achievable, - but it must be done in the way Livingston achieved it through hard graft and determination. That is all I know, and in my own life I have always punched way beyond my weight and never expected anything unless I'd worked for it.

Equally, - I expect the same from the players of QOS and I simply cannot understand some of the teams in the past who have turned up and simply expected hand outs. I may be very old fashioned, - but there are still a lot of Queens supporters who are grafters, who have toiled all their life and who don't appreciate prima donna's.

You are absolutely correct to say that the fans should be entertained, but simply throwing money at a group of players will not necessarily bring entertainment or success.

Furthermore, in a pandemic to invest without a plan would be insane and so when i said "not now Francis" - that is what I was meaning.

Let's see how the rest of the season and the pandemic pans out and then take stock for the future.

so what are you saying spike. That sounds like everyone is entitled to there opinion so long as they agree with you!! There is a fine line here where money in the bank is essential. That I agree with, however what is the point of having money in the bank when what is getting served up is poor.
    That was the model under harkness and we were lying at the foot of the lowest league with crowds of no more than 600 at some games. But financially we were one of the most secure clubs in Scotland. Is that what we are happy with because that is the way the club is heading with the current policies.
    Jardi speaks of being crazy to invest without a plan. Jardi, on a footballing level, can you tell me what plan is in place prior to this pandemic.
    For the past 5 years or so it's been one season contracts for players, who are mainly signed at the end of the window, and then subsidised with loan players. Come the end of the season we go through the same again.
    That is no way to build a team. It takes 2 to 3 seasons to build a successful side and qos don't do it.
    You mention livi with there work ethic etc. That is a team that was together for 4 seasons or so and have strengthened this season with some players still there from when they were in the 1st division. Can you see qos doing that atm.
    For me, everything is done on the cheap in terms of the footballing side of things and it's beginning to bite us with reduced crowds and poor league positions.
    This season is a prime example. From what I have seen of the games, there is a team with a bit of potential, and most of the squad are relatively young.
    However come the end of the season all players will be released and we start again. Why? To save paying players during the close season? Yet we are making 85 grand profit with more on the way.
    The shame of it all is that with a few better quality players in certain positions being added at the end of the season and having had a seasons experience at championship level, I don't think this squad would be far off from safely getting a play off place at the least next season.
    That won't be happening though with the current policies that everyone here seem to like

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    so what are you saying spike. That sounds like everyone is entitled to there opinion so long as they agree with you!! There is a fine line here where money in the bank is essential. That I agree with, however what is the point of having money in the bank when what is getting served up is poor.
    That was the model under harkness and we were lying at the foot of the lowest league with crowds of no more than 600 at some games. But financially we were one of the most secure clubs in Scotland. Is that what we are happy with because that is the way the club is heading with the current policies.
    Jardi speaks of being crazy to invest without a plan. Jardi, on a footballing level, can you tell me what plan is in place prior to this pandemic.
    For the past 5 years or so it's been one season contracts for players, who are mainly signed at the end of the window, and then subsidised with loan players. Come the end of the season we go through the same again.
    That is no way to build a team. It takes 2 to 3 seasons to build a successful side and qos don't do it.
    You mention livi with there work ethic etc. That is a team that was together for 4 seasons or so and have strengthened this season with some players still there from when they were in the 1st division. Can you see qos doing that atm.
    For me, everything is done on the cheap in terms of the footballing side of things and it's beginning to bite us with reduced crowds and poor league positions.
    This season is a prime example. From what I have seen of the games, there is a team with a bit of potential, and most of the squad are relatively young.
    However come the end of the season all players will be released and we start again. Why? To save paying players during the close season? Yet we are making 85 grand profit with more on the way.
    The shame of it all is that with a few better quality players in certain positions being added at the end of the season and having had a seasons experience at championship level, I don't think this squad would be far off from safely getting a play off place at the least next season.
    That won't be happening though with the current policies that everyone here seem to like

that sums it up very well fatfan ,the one thing i get from this site is we all one way or another want queens to succeed and be better ,some see the stumbling blocks to get us there and some dont ,over the last few weeks iv seen queens start making progress magic has made a couple of decent loan signings ,atm we are moving forward but as fatfan says instead of building momentum it will be all ripped up to start afresh again ,fatfan has summed it up well for me .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)