+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queens make a profit

Fair points from Fatfan, - and in essence what Francis has been purporting.

What I would like to see is a proper plan in place with a platform to build from, - rather than as you say scrape together a squad and then rip it all up to start again. That is completely futile.

There are many unknowns this year, - but if fans were allowed back into grounds for next season then it would make sense to have a nucleus of good players as your base for next season, choosing to add quality to the side for a stab at promotion.

However, I must stress that the nucleus of good players must be grafters, and not simply there to pick up their pay at the end of the week, - which is no good for a small club like Queens, - nor is it the sort of thing that fans want to see.

Money must be spent wisely, - or as wisely as one can in football.

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    so what are you saying spike. That sounds like everyone is entitled to there opinion so long as they agree with you!! There is a fine line here where money in the bank is essential. That I agree with, however what is the point of having money in the bank when what is getting served up is poor.
    That was the model under harkness and we were lying at the foot of the lowest league with crowds of no more than 600 at some games. But financially we were one of the most secure clubs in Scotland. Is that what we are happy with because that is the way the club is heading with the current policies.
    Jardi speaks of being crazy to invest without a plan. Jardi, on a footballing level, can you tell me what plan is in place prior to this pandemic.
    For the past 5 years or so it's been one season contracts for players, who are mainly signed at the end of the window, and then subsidised with loan players. Come the end of the season we go through the same again.
    That is no way to build a team. It takes 2 to 3 seasons to build a successful side and qos don't do it.
    You mention livi with there work ethic etc. That is a team that was together for 4 seasons or so and have strengthened this season with some players still there from when they were in the 1st division. Can you see qos doing that atm.
    For me, everything is done on the cheap in terms of the footballing side of things and it's beginning to bite us with reduced crowds and poor league positions.
    This season is a prime example. From what I have seen of the games, there is a team with a bit of potential, and most of the squad are relatively young.
    However come the end of the season all players will be released and we start again. Why? To save paying players during the close season? Yet we are making 85 grand profit with more on the way.
    The shame of it all is that with a few better quality players in certain positions being added at the end of the season and having had a seasons experience at championship level, I don't think this squad would be far off from safely getting a play off place at the least next season.
    That won't be happening though with the current policies that everyone here seem to like
    You really do have to read posts fully before commenting upon them because my opening gambit was as follows :- We are all entitled to our opinions and Francis as much as the next man but it is the incessant repetitive nature of the message almost regardless of the post topic that produces the reactions.
    Secondly I am as concerned as the next man regarding the BoD's ambition and consequently have submitted that question concerning the recruitment or lack of policy over the last two seasons starting with near completely new sets of players to the upcoming AGM. I look forward to their response if one is received so stay tuned.

Not many football clubs in Scotland make a profit these days so this is most welcoming news. The last thing we want to do is get into the situation David Rae left us in by over spending and nearly bankrupting us again. Big fan of Davie but the wages we were paying back them even with bigger crowds was crazy.

There’s still so much uncertainty with the future of the game due to Covid so making a profit this and next year is ***** for any club so well done Queens. Whilst others may struggle financially we won’t. Great news

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    You really do have to read posts fully before commenting upon them because my opening gambit was as follows :- We are all entitled to our opinions and Francis as much as the next man but it is the incessant repetitive nature of the message almost regardless of the post topic that produces the reactions.
    Secondly I am as concerned as the next man regarding the BoD's ambition and consequently have submitted that question concerning the recruitment or lack of policy over the last two seasons starting with near completely new sets of players to the upcoming AGM. I look forward to their response if one is received so stay tuned.
    The question I put to the board was fortunate enough to be answered at the AGM :-

Question 4
    What are the ambitions of the board as the previous two seasons the club has been very fortunate indeed to avoid relegation and by having only a handful of players signed up through the close season then this would appear to the fans to strongly suggest that the club is lacking any thoughts of mounting a promotion challenge?

Answer 4
    The board’s ambition is very much to mount a promotion challenge every season. Short term contracts are a feature of the game in the Scottish Championship, with many players and their agents being unwilling to commit to clubs for more than one season.

Two seasons ago, the club had a squad able to make a promotion challenge with Stephen Dobbie, Lyndon Dykes, Josh Todd and so on, but the Manager at that time, Gary Naysmith, did not wish to extend his contract early in 2019, and a subsequent downturn in form saw the majority of the squad leave the club at the end of the season.

As regards the 2019/20 season, the uncertainty caused by the Covid pandemic made it almost impossible to sign players through the closed season. Given the delayed start to the current season, this would seem to have been the correct strategy.

The current playing squad has a number of young exciting prospects and the board is keen that contract extensions can be agreed over the next few months to provide greater continuity for next season. It should be said, however, that no matter how much you allocate to the playing budget you cannot guarantee success.

The question I put to the board was fortunate enough to be answered at the AGM :-

Question 4
    What are the ambitions of the board as the previous two seasons the club has been very fortunate indeed to avoid relegation and by having only a handful of players signed up through the close season then this would appear to the fans to strongly suggest that the club is lacking any thoughts of mounting a promotion challenge?

Answer 4
    The board’s ambition is very much to mount a promotion challenge every season. Short term contracts are a feature of the game in the Scottish Championship, with many players and their agents being unwilling to commit to clubs for more than one season.

Two seasons ago, the club had a squad able to make a promotion challenge with Stephen Dobbie, Lyndon Dykes, Josh Todd and so on, but the Manager at that time, Gary Naysmith, did not wish to extend his contract early in 2019, and a subsequent downturn in form saw the majority of the squad leave the club at the end of the season.

As regards the 2019/20 season, the uncertainty caused by the Covid pandemic made it almost impossible to sign players through the closed season. Given the delayed start to the current season, this would seem to have been the correct strategy.

The current playing squad has a number of young exciting prospects and the board is keen that contract extensions can be agreed over the next few months to provide greater continuity for next season. It should be said, however, that no matter how much you allocate to the playing budget you cannot guarantee success.

that part of the statement made me laugh i understand the predicament of this season under covid but to say there ambition was promotion over the last 3 or 4 seasons before that is highly laughable ,there playing budgets alone over those seasons suggest queens had zero ambition of promotion ,so what thinking is there behind that claim ?thay must be seeing this ambition through some sort of dream scenario .however this season with other clubs struggling also is the best chance if queens can keep up some decent form .

Question 4

Answer 4

Some great questions that were well answered by the Board.

I would concur.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    I would concur.
    Well I'm sorry but I agree with Francis on this one. The very fact the club refuses to build a squad from season to season tells me everything and stating it is life in the championship is utter garbage. Most teams have there core players signed on 2 year contracts at least. Livi is a prime example when they climbed through the league's. And even if it was the way of the championship, does that make it right? By the very fact they havent offered more than one season contracts, the club has shown no loyalty or trust in these players, and now they are showing a bit of form, the club looks to keep them. All to late as other clubs will undoubtedly come sniffing and you couldn't blame 1 player for refusing to sign and seeing what other options are available. Then I look at when players are signed. Every year it's signings made at the last minute which is generally the left overs. I could go on and on about it. The bottom line is I for one, and I know for a fact there are plenty of others, have absolutely no faith in Billy hewitson in terms of his ambitions for queens. He has not backed a manager with a budget suitable to push for promotion and any success this season has been down to a manager, who was being slated not so long ago, working wonders with the little money he has been given. And before anyone mentions covid, it has been this way since he took on the role of chairman, which was obviously way before this pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    Well I'm sorry but I agree with Francis on this one. The very fact the club refuses to build a squad from season to season tells me everything and stating it is life in the championship is utter garbage. Most teams have there core players signed on 2 year contracts at least. Livi is a prime example when they climbed through the league's. And even if it was the way of the championship, does that make it right? By the very fact they havent offered more than one season contracts, the club has shown no loyalty or trust in these players, and now they are showing a bit of form, the club looks to keep them. All to late as other clubs will undoubtedly come sniffing and you couldn't blame 1 player for refusing to sign and seeing what other options are available. Then I look at when players are signed. Every year it's signings made at the last minute which is generally the left overs. I could go on and on about it. The bottom line is I for one, and I know for a fact there are plenty of others, have absolutely no faith in Billy hewitson in terms of his ambitions for queens. He has not backed a manager with a budget suitable to push for promotion and any success this season has been down to a manager, who was being slated not so long ago, working wonders with the little money he has been given. And before anyone mentions covid, it has been this way since he took on the role of chairman, which was obviously way before this pandemic.
    Who was chairman when we finished 4th only behind Hearts , Hibs & Rangers in season 2014/15 ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)