+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Championship Round-Up

Millers are the only team below us with a game in hand on us but they are 6 points adrift. The three immediately below us have all played a game more than us. A point a game average should see us safe and I think we'll do better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Millers are the only team below us with a game in hand on us but they are 6 points adrift. The three immediately below us have all played a game more than us. A point a game average should see us safe and I think we'll do better than that.
    Could do with starting on Saturday, because the way Barnsley are going I really don’t fancy us bringing anything back from Oakwell next week.

Coventry are no shrinking violets and anything resembling Tuesday's wimpish performance and we will suffer. Mark Robins will, like every other manager in the league, will know we don't like it 'uppem' and it will be a very physical game with an aerial bombardment inevitable. We have shown that we can't handle that and will rely on tippy tappy in our half in some misguided belief that we can somehow get the ball up to Kaz but, as usual, he will be isolated and we will lose the ball. With our midfield about as much use as a chocolate fireguard the ball will be quickly played out wide and dumped into the box where Wis will have to put on another Wycombe performance to keep us in the game.
    Mind you, I could be that pissed off with Tues that I'm a complete pillock and our Wayne will have some master plan and we will secure three valuable points!!
    I won't hold my breath!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Coventry are no shrinking violets and anything resembling Tuesday's wimpish performance and we will suffer. Mark Robins will, like every other manager in the league, will know we don't like it 'uppem' and it will be a very physical game with an aerial bombardment inevitable. We have shown that we can't handle that and will rely on tippy tappy in our half in some misguided belief that we can somehow get the ball up to Kaz but, as usual, he will be isolated and we will lose the ball. With our midfield about as much use as a chocolate fireguard the ball will be quickly played out wide and dumped into the box where Wis will have to put on another Wycombe performance to keep us in the game.
    Mind you, I could be that pissed off with Tues that I'm a complete pillock and our Wayne will have some master plan and we will secure three valuable points!!
    I won't hold my breath!
    Sadly I think your right, we have appointed a manager because he is a name and it was expedient to do, mostly financially expedient). He has no relevant experience in coaching never mind managing and hasn't even got the required qualifications to do the job.

I think we will pick up enough points to survive, but its going to be a close run thing and we may well be grateful for the Owls 6pt deduction at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Sadly I think your right, we have appointed a manager because he is a name and it was expedient to do, mostly financially expedient). He has no relevant experience in coaching never mind managing and hasn't even got the required qualifications to do the job.

I think we will pick up enough points to survive, but its going to be a close run thing and we may well be grateful for the Owls 6pt deduction at the end of the season.
    I know that when it’s been bad it’s been very, very bad...but, tbf, Rooney has a better PPG record than any of the previous five full time - as distinct from ‘acting’ - managers.
    Early days I know, but to achieve that from inheriting a side at the bottom of the table suggests he must have something.
    Nowt so fickle as football fans...it’s only about a fortnight since some - ridiculously I know - were suggesting a late run for the playoffs was on the cards.

Playoffs was never on the cards unless we'd picked up 90 odd % of the available points which was never going to happen.

Coventry? 1 win in their last 9. If we don't get something there we want bloody shooting, as BC might have said. We have 19 points from out last 10 and should have too much for them.

Barnsley? On top form right now. Going on their last 10 games they lost to Swansea and Watford. Those games were followed by 2 draws, Cardiff and the Red Dogs. Since then it's 6 wins on the bounce, Brentford, Blackburn, Bristol, Stoke, Millwall, QPR. 20 points in 10 games.

We shouldn't really take that much notice of Tuesday's debacle when looking at the Barnsley game. The 5 "dropped" will be back in and Marshy only if fit. That will put us back to the team that has got 19 points from the last 10 games (incl the Cardiff game). Chances are they will win but it probably won't be the canter many seem to think it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I know that when it’s been bad it’s been very, very bad...but, tbf, Rooney has a better PPG record than any of the previous five full time - as distinct from ‘acting’ - managers.
    Early days I know, but to achieve that from inheriting a side at the bottom of the table suggests he must have something.
    Nowt so fickle as football fans...it’s only about a fortnight since some - ridiculously I know - were suggesting a late run for the playoffs was on the cards.
    One can't argue with the fact the team's performances have turned around since Cocu left, but decisions like changing 6 players for one game suggest inexperience, that plus a lot of performances have been less than inspiring even if we have picked up points do not lend credence to the idea that Rooney has what it takes to be a manager.

There must be a question mark as to how much actual managing he is doing anyway.

I remain optimistic we will survive, but above all else we need this takeover to be sorted one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

I remain optimistic we will survive, but above all else we need this takeover to be sorted one way or another.
    Absolutely right. Being realistic rather than optimistic...and assuming we survive...next season will see WBA, Sheffield Utd plus one of Fulham, Newcastle, Brighton or Burnley joining the Championship and at least three of the current top six remaining plus possibly a revita lised Cardiff, Bristol City and Forest (all under new management) also in contention.
    If we are going to have another season of being anything more than ‘also rans’ the ownership of and investment in the club, as you say, really needs sorting quickly.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 05-03-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Could have really done without that late Brum winner last night.
    Our run in is tough, especially with our goal scoring inadequacies further exposed by the two hamstring injuries from yesterday.
    Can’t see us getting more than two points from the next four matches (hope I’m wrong) and then it’s Birmingham...who, from what little I saw last night, look big, hard and well organised by Bowyer...just the sort of game we thrive in.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Could have really done without that late Brum winner last night.
    Our run in is tough, especially with our goal scoring inadequacies further exposed by the two hamstring injuries from yesterday.
    Can’t see us getting more than two points from the next four matches (hope I’m wrong) and then it’s Birmingham...who, from what little I saw last night, look big, hard and well organised by Bowyer...just the sort of game we thrive in.
    Now then, our next to last game is Birmingham.
    We may be safe by then, so Birmingham could do us over.
    Luckily for you Rov'Rum threw the towel in today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)