+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Online cowards.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Wow...it’s another world. If nothing else this thread has served to make me feel increasingly naive.

So, back on topic...as someone apparently much more ‘itk’...what can be done to stop those who use the online cloak of (apparently questionable) anonymity to abuse and threaten others?
    Lots can be done, lots no doubt IS done, but once it’s done it’s done, and has the emotional impact on the victim, and that applies whether online or not - no different calling someone a hateful name online now than scrawling ‘Pauline Hunt is a ****’ anonymously on a school blackboard in1971, the hate hasnt changed just the medium
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 09-02-2021 at 01:41 PM.

I suppose the platform requires a fully enforced (not just a lip service) "acceptable use" agreement for participation, whereby if you are found to be in breach of such policy, your details are handed to police. The technology, and skillsets are all there, but it all comes at a cost, not least to our already over-stretched police force. It would also set off the big brother fear groups. But even if the internet gets more policed, the underlying issues are still there, and these people will only find other ways to abuse others.

Hope they get their comeuppance.

Edit: Just seen Andy's last response, bit of duplication!

Wow...it’s another world. If nothing else this thread has served to make me feel increasingly naive.

So, back on topic...as someone apparently much more ‘itk’...what can be done to stop those who use the online cloak of (apparently questionable) anonymity to abuse and threaten others?
    Hate to sound like Big Brother, but......

1. Use your full name, the real one.
    2. Have some kind of check on email and/or house address
    3. Use a genuine photo of yourself in your avatar
    4...... etc.

When a couple of miscreants thought I was a spammer I could understand where it came from. I'd registered years earlier, posted a handful of posts and then disappeared.

There's a twist on the "use your real name" thing as well. In a dim and distant past, I was one of the more prolific (in terms of post numbers at any rate) on the now defunct BBC 606 football site (still in touch with 2 other prolific posters from there, one WHU the other Chelski). I got banned BECAUSE I posted under my own name........

See CKR is the latest target of online racial abuse following his equaliser against Forest.
    The other ‘popular’ target seems to be female football pundits.
    What is the matter with these people?
    Quite like to see them locked in a room for half an hour with CKR to ‘explain’ their behaviour.

Agree with Adi...if people transgress the ‘acceptable’ use protocols then hand their details to the police.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 28-02-2021 at 09:22 AM.

See CKR is the latest target of online racial abuse following his equaliser against Forest.
    The other ‘popular’ target seems to be female football pundits.
    What is the matter with these people?
    Quite like to see them locked in a room for half an hour with CKR to ‘explain’ their behaviour.

Agree with Adi...if people transgress the ‘acceptable’ use protocols then hand their details to the police.
    Not nice, my daughter got some hate recently just for daring to post a photo of her mixed race bf and her together. But tbh there are three probs with Adi’s suggestion - internet -wide, there are too many for the police to handle, most do it under the cloak of anonymity, and looking from the other side (and regarding your pundit thing) it is actually difficult to offer constructive criticism on most platforms without being subject to accusations of one -ism or another, which just drives folk to less considered comments.

Weird it still happens, doesn't kneeling before the game address this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Weird it still happens, doesn't kneeling before the game address this issue?
    No, I don't think it does address this issue. The people anonymously slating CKR, Rashford, Alex Scott etc online are the same ones who view the kneel as an abhorrance. They are incorrigable.

What is needed is for InstaFaceTwitEtc to remove poster's anonymity. Until that happens this will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Not nice, my daughter got some hate recently just for daring to post a photo of her mixed race bf and her together. But tbh there are three probs with Adi’s suggestion - internet -wide, there are too many for the police to handle, most do it under the cloak of anonymity, and looking from the other side (and regarding your pundit thing) it is actually difficult to offer constructive criticism on most platforms without being subject to accusations of one -ism or another, which just drives folk to less considered comments.
    Sorry to hear that about your daughter, AF. Interesting response. I actually think that Alex Scott may be too high profile and omnipresent at the moment. Perhaps a case of being ‘promoted’ beyond her ability...a criticism I’d also aim at Andrew Marr and Rylan Clarke-Neil amongst others.
    I’m not sure what any of them have that marks them out as being so special...but that’s a very far cry from resorting to abusing them or reaching a ‘conclusion’ based on gender, race or se*ual preference and if anyone thinks that’s me betraying any sort of ‘ism’ prejudice then bring it on...it isn’t!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 28-02-2021 at 11:33 AM.

On the subject of "experts punching above their weight" or rather, not, there have been a whole new crop of male former footballers that I've seen that fall into this category. Jermaine Beckford, Micah Richards and a few I didn't recognise as examples. They are no better, no worse than the women former players (assuming they are former players). Just somehow don't seem to add a lot.

On the other hand ex cricketers seem far more capable and Emily Rainford Brent and Isa Guha are very good.

As for Ryland Clark Neill, I'm sorry but he offers nothing. In fact he is like a dementor and sucks *****ity and joy out of any programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    On the subject of "experts punching above their weight" or rather, not, there have been a whole new crop of male former footballers that I've seen that fall into this category. Jermaine Beckford, Micah Richards and a few I didn't recognise as examples. They are no better, no worse than the women former players (assuming they are former players). Just somehow don't seem to add a lot.

On the other hand ex cricketers seem far more capable and Emily Rainford Brent and Isa Guha are very good.

As for Ryland Clark Neill, I'm sorry but he offers nothing. In fact he is like a dementor and sucks *****ity and joy out of any programme.
    I quite like Micah Richards, seems to know what he’s talking about imo. Not sure I’ve seen ‘Jermaine Beckford’ do much, but I’m really not sure what Jermaine Jenas brings to the table that gives him such a high profile.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)