+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V Brighton

We’ve been outplayed by Southampton, West Ham and now Brighton which just goes to show we have a long way to go and talk of Europe is hugely premature. Doubling up on Jack seems to be working for these teams but highlights the fact that our other players are not taking advantage of it particularly Barkley. Super John isn’t the same player either now he is playing further back.
    On the plus side is that the boss and the players admit they haven’t been good enough rather than making excuses (bad luck, ref decisions, VAR) which gives hope that they have something to work on. Definitely a work in progress and we have done a lot of that this season.

We really do seem to struggle against well organised sides that press us, we've had some luck and stout defending plus superb goal-keeping bar the uncharacteristic mistakes vs West Ham. Luck always runs out, and we cannot expect shut-outs every week from Emi & the back four - Smith has to be better at out-thinking opponents & making changes earlier in games.

I agree with your comment regarding the wide-men but you have to give Traore time to adjust the the rigours of this league, I think he's yards ahead of Trez and Ghazi as a footballer & the most likely out of these three to score/create an opening.

On a positive note - I thought Sanson looked very good in the short time he was on the pitch and with Ramsey breaking into the first team it's great to have competition for places. Mid-table will do for me this season, with only the summer window to go before next season it's too much to expect us to have a squad that can handle europe.

Looking back, I think AEG should not have been dropped for Barkley and the same for Naky and Luiz!!
    Certainly Ross is not performing like a 40 million pound player, more like 10.....

If Jack has 2 players on him that is the threat neutralised. It shouldn't be tho! The other adttackers in Traore, Barkley, SJM should be stepping up. I like Ross Barkley but I think he actually detracts from what we need.

Who would you rather see in an advanced central role? John Mcginn or Barkley?

What would you rather see, Jack out wide left with Barkley in the middle or a winger out wide and Grealish central?

It looks like Matty Cash pulled his hamstring and for me this offers us an option...

Hause, Mings and Konsa as a back 3 with Marvelous (who has been, what's the word? Really good) when called upon sitting in front and breaking up the play (which we weren't doing against West Ham and Brighton).

Then have Douglas, McGinn, Barkley with Jack and Traore supporting Watkins.

We didn't break up play and were overrun in midfield. Traore needs to help out more in defence, but if we have Marvelous in there he can offer some immediate protection. And I like Marvelous. He is really really good.

If he's that good Sam then why doesn't DS pick him other than when a player is injured/suspended? Your back 3 suggestion sees Targett lose his place, he's been consistently good and is our most improved player this season, our defence has 12 clean sheets.

When Jack and Barkley click it is very very good, Barkley needs to show those levels in training & not start until he's somewhere near it. That then gives DS options to pick 2 of SJM/Doug/Marvel and let Sanson, Jack & Traore (Trez a better option when the right side needs more shoring up) work the openings.

Interesting to hear Deans take on it in a recent interview, he reckons that as a squad we havnt had a proper training week since the beginning of the New Year, that might answer a few questions about our recent performances, especially for those who were coming back from injury around then, like Barkley etc. No excuses for the performances but it does show how thin Dean thinks the squad is if he is prepared to field half fit under trained players rather than putting those that have maybe had a better programme?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)