+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you bang your knee

When you bang your knee

or stub your toe or knock your ankle or shin, for example...

...do you then a) hop around in agony then hold onto the nearest person/upright object or sit down on the nearest available chair or the floor/ground depending on where you are, holding or inspecting the injured limb, cursing profusely

or, b) lie prostrate on the floor, motionless, as if you're dead. Actually dead?

No? Me, neither. So why do footballers do it? The rolling around, screaming in pain and beating the ground is ridiculous, especially when the player is inevitably up and running around moments later. But, no less pathetic, is the 'playing dead' posture so many adopt after a challenge. I've just watched Perez do it-he knacked his knee, and his response was to lie, face down and motionless on the turf.

When you think about it, it's just such a bizarre thing to do. If you're not entirely convinced what an utterly odd thing to do it is, next time you get a knock somewhere on your leg, wherever you are, lie down, face down, on the floor and don't move, see what sort of reaction you get.

Odd fellows, footballers.

When I bang my toe, knee there is no referee around to send anybody off.

My personal favourite are the Spinners, how many times can you roll over and over and over and over before coming to a rest clutching some body part then running after the ref when he ignores them. Neymar was judged to be king of the spinners I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kirkland View Post
    When I bang my toe, knee there is no referee around to send anybody off.
    yeah...I'm not seriously wondering why they do it....doesn't make them look any less ridiculous though, does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    My personal favourite are the Spinners, how many times can you roll over and over and over and over before coming to a rest clutching some body part then running after the ref when he ignores them. Neymar was judged to be king of the spinners I remember.
    aye, 'I'm mortally wounded or at least have a career-threatening injury so I'll just roll around a few times to emphasise the severity of my injury...please pick my leg up if it actually does fall off'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    aye, 'I'm mortally wounded or at least have a career-threatening injury so I'll just roll around a few times to emphasise the severity of my injury...please pick my leg up if it actually does fall off'.
    Anything less than a broken leg or fractured arm with a bit of bone sticking out and the likes of Busby, Shankly and Harvey would say "run it off son"

Personally, I stay on foot and rub the sore area vigorously with my hand. It helps the pain go away. What we have to watch on tv is pure gamesmanship and attempts to deceive officials.
    I would introduce big rule changes to rid the game of this sh*t- it could easily be done.

Poncy fancy footballers ought to watch jump jockeys in action. Just been watching the National Trial at Punchestown in Ireland. Three and a half miles and 33 fences. Several jocks were on fallen horses or unseated travelling at over 30 mph and what do they do. They get up as quick as they can, rub the aching limb and get back to the enclosures ready for the next race otherwise they lose the riding fee.

That's a job that is value for money and risking your life every day and not for £1,000's a week either.

Tony McCoy had 1000,s of falls in his career, broke hundreds of bones, many teeth and had punctured lungs and didn't whinge like a pansy.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Poncy fancy footballers ought to watch jump jockeys in action. Just been watching the National Trial at Punchestown in Ireland. Three and a half miles and 33 fences. Several jocks were on fallen horses or unseated travelling at over 30 mph and what do they do. They get up as quick as they can, rub the aching limb and get back to the enclosures ready for the next race otherwise they lose the riding fee.

That's a job that is value for money and risking your life every day and not for £1,000's a week either.

Tony McCoy had 1000,s of falls in his career, broke hundreds of bones, many teeth and had punctured lungs and didn't whinge like a pansy.
    ...and then there’s the rugby. Just watch any game to see how footballers try to influence the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post

Wouldn't catch me anywhere near a horse....or a hearce.

Travelling at 30 miles an hour, 2 metres off the ground, no seat belt, jumping over high fences on a tempramental animal that weighs a tonne and whose brain is the size of a walnut alongside another 10 horses and riders who are desperate to win.

Crazy when you think about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)