+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should have been straight forward

Should have been straight forward

Why MB decided on full blown surgery, when just a plaster was needed.
    Phillips injured - Klich ( prob now injured ) steps into DM role, then one from say Shack / Hernandez / Jenkins into midfield.
    For first time in weeks, defence just starting to come good, but no, has to be re-shuffled. Would overall result been different who knows, but first half, more than likely much closer.

Quote Originally Posted by bathlad61 View Post
    Why MB decided on full blown surgery, when just a plaster was needed.
    Phillips injured - Klich ( prob now injured ) steps into DM role, then one from say Shack / Hernandez / Jenkins into midfield.
    For first time in weeks, defence just starting to come good, but no, has to be re-shuffled. Would overall result been different who knows, but first half, more than likely much closer.
    It was baffling BL.

Ok, so we had a re-shuffle when perhaps just a tweak here or there would have sufficed, big deal. These are professional footballers, who train together, work together off the training ground, and play together every week (at least), and the core of those playing yesterday have done so for the last three seasons. Disruption to formation and tactics should be something they accommodate almost as second nature.

We were not good in the first half, but the goals were given away, not worked for by Arsenal, and that is unacceptable. There was no need for Cooper to constantly play tippy-tappy with Meslier, there was no need for Meslier to imagine that he is some kind of defensive outfield genius, and it was in that 18 yard box that it all went wrong. The rest of the play wasn't pretty (particularly in the 1st half) but had those mistakes not been made, we would have come away with a point (at least) and we would all be happy bunnys.

Strange (perhaps) that when Roberts and Costa came on, we improved (given previous outings for that pair), but it shows that even players who have been sidelined for long periods can come on and do the business, no reason why those who get more game time couldn't have done the same, no matter where they were played.

Truthfully, I saw the line up/formation and knew that every team in the PL would hammer us. I didn't watch the game because I didn't want my weekend ruined.

It's never a case if just moving players around because they are professionals and they can do the job, each role has its own skill set.

Frustrating that Kelvin seems to be the one player that makes us tick and without him we lose frequently.

With hindsight, I am baffled as to why we did not bring some cover in on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    Truthfully, I saw the line up/formation and knew that every team in the PL would hammer us. I didn't watch the game because I didn't want my weekend ruined.

It's never a case if just moving players around because they are professionals and they can do the job, each role has its own skill set.

Frustrating that Kelvin seems to be the one player that makes us tick and without him we lose frequently.

With hindsight, I am baffled as to why we did not bring some cover in on loan.
    Agree on the "skill set" comment, but none of the players were so far out of where they should be playing in their favoured position, at least not to cause the kind of implosion in our own 1st quarter that we saw.

Also, at the risk of the "dog with a bone" response, this pi55ing about between backs and gk is just an accident waiting to happen. All it took was for a team to recognise that there is inherent weakness in expecting a gk to play as an outfielder and press accordingly. It was as plain as the nose on your face for the whole of the first half, up to and beyond the penalty that Meslier conceded.

Look at the assist that Gunduan (spelling?) got from Moraes against Spurs, can you imagine Meslier being allowed to take that kind of approach out from the area? Need more than one approach from defence.

I think the passes to the GK were increased (especially as a last resort) by having so many out of position and Ayling and Phillips always provide good outlets.

Feel for the younger players like Struijk and Shackleton who are out of position in a team set up we know struggles - Shacks looked so much more comfortable in CM role.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    I think the passes to the GK were increased (especially as a last resort) by having so many out of position and Ayling and Phillips always provide good outlets.

Feel for the younger players like Struijk and Shackleton who are out of position in a team set up we know struggles - Shacks looked so much more comfortable in CM role.
    Ayling, Cooper and Alioski were all available, but seemed unable (or unwilling) to take the ball forward (particularly Cooper), and again players in front of them weren't so far out of position that playing back to the GK was the only option.

Crap game, as always just underlines how ***** Phillips is to us. That entire first half nobody was offering an option for the pass.

But lets be honest I'd like to see any PL side win many games with their 2 best midfielders out injured and their 2 best centre backs (I'm assuming Llorente and Koch will be better than Cooper) out injured with no real back up options and having to play a centre back and winger in central midfield.

Doesn't help when Klich seems to have lost any form.

That said, we are 11th, we are entertaining, we are playing at times with a starting 11 worse than our best Championship 11 and we are safe from relegation. I just hope between now and end of season we see more of likes of Gelhardt, Huggins, Poveda, Greenwood than Costa, Alioski, Roberts etc. Time to give minutes to lads who are long term options not ones who we all know will be gone in the summer, I'm not advocating wholesale chuck the kids in but if it comes down to Alioski or Huggins, I'd rather give Huggins a few games and see what he has. If its the 75th minute and its a choice between Costa or Gelhardt, I'd rather see what Gelhardt can do.

Cooper was the worst culprit and he must have known how much pressure he was putting IM
    under

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Crap game, as always just underlines how ***** Phillips is to us. That entire first half nobody was offering an option for the pass.

But lets be honest I'd like to see any PL side win many games with their 2 best midfielders out injured and their 2 best centre backs (I'm assuming Llorente and Koch will be better than Cooper) out injured with no real back up options and having to play a centre back and winger in central midfield.

Doesn't help when Klich seems to have lost any form.

That said, we are 11th, we are entertaining, we are playing at times with a starting 11 worse than our best Championship 11 and we are safe from relegation. I just hope between now and end of season we see more of likes of Gelhardt, Huggins, Poveda, Greenwood than Costa, Alioski, Roberts etc. Time to give minutes to lads who are long term options not ones who we all know will be gone in the summer, I'm not advocating wholesale chuck the kids in but if it comes down to Alioski or Huggins, I'd rather give Huggins a few games and see what he has. If its the 75th minute and its a choice between Costa or Gelhardt, I'd rather see what Gelhardt can do.
    With you on all of that Joel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)