+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wycombe v Rams

Good job Wisdom's shot didn't graze CKRon the way through, he tried to touch it!

Wisdom v The Chairboys, Wisdom wins!
    Bloody awful to watch but three points eases the stress no end.

I didn't like the Cocu-like tinkering with the defence and we only just got away with it

Jozwiak is becoming like the best footballer in junior school, never knows when to give up on dribbling and actually pass
    I thought Edmundson was OK though and he hasa 'press on' style when he gets the ball, which might be useful if his end product improves

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I didn't like the Cocu-like tinkering with the defence and we only just got away with it

Jozwiak is becoming like the best footballer in junior school, never knows when to give up on dribbling and actually pass
    I thought Edmundson was OK though and he hasa 'press on' style when he gets the ball, which might be useful if his end product improves
    Agreed, on all counts. Wisdom magnificent even before the goal. Jozwiak so frustrating. Roberts and Edmundson encouraging. Hope Mengi is better in the middle of the defence, only 18 I know but he wasn’t impressive at RB. Too many others didn’t turn up.

a win is a win and great to see us getting a last gasp winner. Another valuable 3 pts, onwards and hopefully upwards!

In a nutshell, that's two games on the bounce where we weren't much cop but picked up the 3 points. More to the point we were lucky to get anything out of the game at all. We were less effective than we had been against Boro. We were visibly out of our depth against yet another lump and hope team.

One bright spot was us getting the rub of the green on a call. I'm convinced their disallowed goal at 0-0 was not offside. One that went our way at last.

The game? The stats showed we had 59% possession, 14 shots, 3 of which were on target to their 17 and 6. Corners were 5-3 in their favour and we committed one more foul 15-14.

Quality from Derby was hard to find. Good corner from Waggy saw Ikpeazu head it inside the near post for our opener. That was our 2nd stroke of luck, the first being their disallowed job. We had the greater possession but they seemed to spend rather more time in our half than we did in theirs.

You could say we showed our defensive grit again and, to an extent we did. I often have an opinion on what we could/should do to improve. I have to admit to struggling to find the answer to our inability to deal with teams who press and harry us in midfield when we are in possession and then lump the ball towards our box when they are in possession, completely cutting out their own midfield. Be it defensively or attackingly, we struggle against those tactics and, more often than not, we lose.

I'm just glad we have most of the hit and hopers behind us now and we can start picking up even more points from top half clubs.

Next up is Watford away on Friday. They are a footballing side and it's a game we can do well in.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    In a nutshell, that's two games on the bounce where we weren't much cop but picked up the 3 points. More to the point we were lucky to get anything out of the game at all. We were less effective than we had been against Boro. We were visibly out of our depth against yet another lump and hope team.

One bright spot was us getting the rub of the green on a call. I'm convinced their disallowed goal at 0-0 was not offside. One that went our way at last.

The game? The stats showed we had 59% possession, 14 shots, 3 of which were on target to their 17 and 6. Corners were 5-3 in their favour and we committed one more foul 15-14.

Quality from Derby was hard to find. Good corner from Waggy saw Ikpeazu head it inside the near post for our opener. That was our 2nd stroke of luck, the first being their disallowed job. We had the greater possession but they seemed to spend rather more time in our half than we did in theirs.

You could say we showed our defensive grit again and, to an extent we did. I often have an opinion on what we could/should do to improve. I have to admit to struggling to find the answer to our inability to deal with teams who press and harry us in midfield when we are in possession and then lump the ball towards our box when they are in possession, completely cutting out their own midfield. Be it defensively or attackingly, we struggle against those tactics and, more often than not, we lose.

I'm just glad we have most of the hit and hopers behind us now and we can start picking up even more points from top half clubs.

Next up is Watford away on Friday. They are a footballing side and it's a game we can do well in.
    Very, very fortunate win last night imo. Admittedly CKR missed two chances which would have altered the course of the game but we really created very little against the worst side in the Championship.
    Understand Rooney introducing two more ‘physical’ full backs against a side like Wycombe but we look so much better with Byrne and Buchanan imo.
    Wisdom motm by a mile even though, bizarrely, the DT seems to have given it to Marshall. Most worrying for me were the contributions, or lack of them, from Jozwiak, Waghorn, Gregory and, untypically, Knight. They’re all very capable footballers but might as well not have been on the pitch last night.
    See Gareth Ainsworth thought Kevin Friend was very poor. Can’t say I’m surprised, he was dreadful imo...not biased just bad.

Nice to have some luck for once...we’ll need more and all eleven to turn up against Watford.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 17-02-2021 at 09:38 AM.

A positive - we attacked right at the end of the game, when we could have sat back and settled for a point. I don't care that it was a poor performance, it was a winning one, and I'm quite happy for us to win poorly like that if it keeps us in the league.

Without Byrne and Buchanan we were severely restricted in controlling the ball thus allowing them free reign in the up and under tactics. In that respect Wayne forgot to play to our strengths and this wasn't helped by a number of poor performances.
    Having said that, with Wiz unbreachable, we battled to stay in the game so always giving us the chance to nick the game. We finally got our act together in the last few minutes with Byrne and Buchanan giving us the edge. Wiz got his reward for a 'Dave Mackay' display with a great finish.
    At last we feel the euphoria of a late late goal!

The one time I can remember Wis being out of position, he followed his man into the box and dispossessed him making up for his faux pas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)