+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyche Tactics.. . . .

Dyche Tactics.. . . .

Army asked a couple of games ago why when we get a free kick, even just over the half way line 2 players stand by the ball, Why do we need to do this ?

The other thing I have noticed is free kicks and corner kicks, why (which happens most of the time) play the ball to the side of the box (or far post for corners) generally trying to get it onto Mee or Tarkys head who then heads it into the middle of the area, surely its 50 50 whether Mee/Tarky gets a good head on the ball and then 50 50 that the direction of their header reaches another Claret player, correct me If I'm wrong but would it not be better to put the ball straight into the danger area ? I would like any serious answers if anyone has any, thanks.

I think they overthink it Alto.

Westwood and McNeil are obviously trying to see which is the best angle for either a right foot or left foot delivery.

The daft thing is both of them are not far behind Dave Thomas on dead ball kicking, so why they don't just hang it under the keeper's nose like we did on Saturday against Palace, I just can't figure?

I'd assume they'd look for the most advantageous outcome from their ability and oppositions inability....what I can't understand is how teams are so fixed to a style of play - they train between games, have tine to weigh up the opposing side and can work on variation - I can't see why they're not capable, they kick a ball, it's their job , so why the repeat - is it that they're just not able of doing anything outside of their assigned duty - is the game that confined....the managers so inept that they all follow the same stale routine - makes their job easier I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

I'd assume they'd look for the most advantageous outcome from their ability and oppositions inability....what I can't understand is how teams are so fixed to a style of play - they train between games, have tine to weigh up the opposing side and can work on variation - I can't see why they're not capable, they kick a ball, it's their job , so why the repeat - is it that they're just not able of doing anything outside of their assigned duty - is the game that confined....the managers so inept that they all follow the same stale routine - makes their job easier I suppose.

Because we are not able to watch games live and in the flesh Norder I have more time to watch games, replay them and without trying to sound precocious analyse them.

A few of us on here have had the pleasure to visit Barnfield and have the tour.

There is an "Analysis suite" where players get the replay treatment and coaching analysis.

What I fail to understand is why we don't seem to take on board the obvious.

For example, Lowton is damned good at going forward and picking a pass, yet for season after season he has been berated by Burnley fans across social media for "not being good enough".

We saw his sublime bit of work on Saturday, and I have to ask the question why is Dyche not using the analysing tools that are at his disposal?

Alto is asking the same question via this thread, so if two numpties like me and Alto can see the problem, why can't Dyche and Woan?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

We saw his sublime bit of work on Saturday, and I have to ask the question why is Dyche not using the analysing tools that are at his disposal?

Alto is asking the same question via this thread, so if...me and Alto can see the problem, why can't Dyche and Woan?

has to be the routine - BT.....they can't mess with it, it'll upset the status quo - that could mean more questions - needing more answers....now football wont mind that, it'd like it - but for a business,...risky !

With the first question I also saw that too, it seems a complete waste of a player. Wither its an in swinger our out swinger. Does it really matter ? Plus if it's taken by one player he should be able to flight both an 'in swinger or an out swinger' But I question this free kick, with two players standing near the ball. I noticed against one of the last teams (Brighton or Fulham) After the free kick was taken ,it was headed out by their defence, and almost became a break away attack. Now if only one player stands there for a free kick ,the other can stand just outside the penalty area. That could stop any 'break away', strengthen defence and who knows even a shot on goal? Tactics of a school boy !!
    When we are taking free kicks right or left hand side near the corner flag, Tarks and Mee go forward into that penalty area. If two players are standing near the ball, the defence in midfield is left weaker. Why, maybe the answer is in Google?

The 2nd question, I could see the theory of why they do not place it ''in the middle danger area'' it is possible the keeper then can catch it and if so they can start attack. By placing the ball as you say for Tarks and Mee, a little further away from the goals, is that the keeper if he tries to catch it ,I assume he will not try it. Being that he has left his goal wide open, a big blunder!!
    Then this play makes it harder for a keeper to know exactly where the ball,(after the header) is going to end up, plus it could be hard to judge ,its speed, angle etc, in that short span of time its difficult for the keeper to know anything. Then being so close to their goals ,we could just 'nick ' it !

Still think it’s a waste Alto

Decide who’s taking it and the other get in or around the area increase our chance of scoring.

It’s shocking tbh

Unless I've been dreaming it, it's a fairly common occurence in football, most teams do it, even at non-league level. I've always assumed it's so that the defenders and keeper can't be sure whether it's going to be an in-swinging or out-swinging free-kick. Not sure about it's effectiveness though, I reckon I can guess which player will take the kick 80/90% of the time, and if I can, I reckon the defenders can as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Unless I've been dreaming it, it's a fairly common occurence in football, most teams do it, even at non-league level. I've always assumed it's so that the defenders and keeper can't be sure whether it's going to be an in-swinging or out-swinging free-kick. Not sure about it's effectiveness though, I reckon I can guess which player will take the kick 80/90% of the time, and if I can, I reckon the defenders can as well.
    Quite right sinkov, in fact, we have actually varied things on a number of occasions and i can remember we actually scored last season when McNeil put in a cracking, low, outswinging free kick which went round the back of the defence when most people thought that Westwood would be taking the kick.
    It also gives an option, which has been used once or twice where one or other of the 'takers' goes down the line and the ball is played to him --obviously with McNeil o the left and Westy on the right.
    I often think that they only decide at the last minute exactly how they are going to play it and, as you correctly say, many clubs at all levels do the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)