+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Pluto a planet?

Is Pluto a planet?

Ever since 2006 when Pluto was relegated to the status of dwarf planet there have been Pluto fans who regard the relegation as an outrage. They regard it as a planet. What do you reckon?

https://www.theplanetstoday.com/solar_system_map.html

You know what 6EQUJ5,I never really thought about space and the planets and stuff but that link was quite interesting,I always thought that all stars was smaller than planets but that star at the an of the video within the link was massive!

I also googled your name as it intrigued me,I found that interesting as well 😎

In America they have a way of remembering the names of the historically 9 planets (including Pluto) in the sequence of the proximity of their orbits to the Sun, beginning with the closest. It goes like this :- My Very Exciting Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.

This stands for Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.
    Of course since 2006 the Pizzas have been off.

I find it easier to remember them in the sequence of proximity of their respective orbits to the Sun, beginning with the closest, as two words MVEM JSUN. (There is no Pluto because it is no longer categorised as a planet.)
    Last edited by 6EQUJ5; 15-02-2021 at 08:17 PM.

1.If all of the bombs that are stored by the USA and Russia all went off at the same time would it be enough to blow the world up and I mean boom! It's been obliterated and no longer exists,what would happen to the moon and would it affect th other planets?

2. If some moons are bigger than planets then why aren't they also planets?

3. If the mining ship Red Dwarf can carry a crew of 1000+ then why do Dave and Rimmer insist on sharing a cabin,do you think that being 3 million years away from home it gets lonely up there especially as its always night time,are Dave and Rimmer just more than friends especially when Rimmer is using hard light?
    I mean,his name is Rimmer after all,these are questions that keep me awake at 4.30 in the morning

4. I fancy Frankie Heck in The Middle but I don't fancy Debra Barone in Everybody Love Ray yet they ware both played by the same actress,surely this has to pose more questions than how the universe was created right?

1) I asked this of a world renowned physicist and SETI's main radio astronomer within the last couple of months. They both said no, just a scratch, and there would even be enough of the human population left to continue the existence of the human race. There would be areas where it would be safe to live. Gradually the air in the worst affected parts of the planet would once again be fit to breathe. Whenever I hear the Greens say that something would be bad for the planet I cringe. What they really mean is that it would be bad for human beings, animals etc which could all be wiped out. But the planet would go on as ever. In the various cataclysm scenarios some tiny organisms would survive, maybe deep underground and evolution would begin again. In the 4.5 billion years of the Earth's existence there have been at least four cataclysmic events, two of them wiping out 95% of all life. The dinosaurs were in charge for 250 million years, then the asteroid crashed and made life impossible for all but the tiniest of creatures. Evolution began again and thus we are here. If the asteroid had not crashed into the Earth it is likely that the dinosaurs would still be in charge and we would not exist.

2) Our Sun is a star. Nearly all stars have planets orbiting them. In fact we have yet to discover a star that has no planets. Our Sun provides light and heat to the planets which orbit it. Earth turns on its axis once per 24 hours. At night in the UK we are facing away from the Sun. The planets whose orbits are nearest the Sun are the warmest. Thus Mercury is very hot and Neptune is very cold. A moon is a body that orbits a planet. Earth has one moon. Jupiter has 79 and Saturn has 82. Yes, some moons are bigger than some planets but this relative size is of no consequence to the definitions of moon and planet. A planet orbits a star, such as the Earth orbits our Sun. A moon orbits a planet such as our Moon orbits the Earth.

3) I do not know.

4) Maybe make-up, clothes, the respective dates these series were made and the character's personality are all in play here.

According to the later Red Dwarf books, when we are gone the cockroaches will take over the planet.

I find that quite believable.

The simple answer is no its a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by 6EQUJ5 View Post
    1) I asked this of a world renowned physicist and SETI's main radio astronomer within the last couple of months.
    Ohhhhh,look at me being on the same wavelength as 6EQUJ5 and asking the same questions that needed to be answered,I feel so brainy now,you other lot never thought of asking did you? 😎

We never did any lessons in astrophysics at school back in the 70's and I wish that they did now,have any craters ever been found to show where the asteroid landed and let's not forget that it was God who sent it in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    According to the later Red Dwarf books, when we are gone the cockroaches will take over the planet.

I find that quite believable.
    Are the books a straight copy of the tv series?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)