+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Staying in the PL

Staying in the PL

Is it so important to stop up. I mean does anyone actually get enjoyment watching the club just aim for 17th every season. At the same time Ashley making money from the club being in it.
    It's a league where only 6 teams can compete and the other 14 are restricted from having ambition or getting owners that could take them to the next level and challenge them 6 clubs.
    My views are that if we go down, stay down then Ashley will sell. He won't put money in year after year when he isn't receiving the riches of PL television money.
    He doesn't invest now when he gets it, so he won't put money in when he doesn't. I genuinely believe for the club to have a future we have to hit rock bottom like we did before Keegan dragged the club up from its knees.

Its a catch 22 isn't it ? On the one hand all of your comments above are valid.However any ''takeover'' is dependant upon survival.The position would be much clearer if we knew where we stood ie. confirmation that the takeover would definitely go ahead subject to............... But yet again the state of limbo prevails.Out in the wide world there seems little understanding or empathy with the plight of our supporters who year after year are subjected to a dereliction of duties by the hierarchy.
    Im not sure where I stand on this.I guess 60/40 in favour of the Premiership living in the hope & prayer of the outcome we all want.That said, if arbitration found NOT in our favour' tomorrow' then yes a return to the Chimpo With the prospect of a speedy sale would be preferable. I HATE THIS !!!!!!

The interest in the club will still be there if we go down. What will stop it is Ashley will still want 300m for a Championship club. If we stay down and he loses money he might lower the price and sell.
    I don't buy it that nobody will be interested. Leeds, Villa and Leicester are 3 that have overtaken us and they had takeovers completed in the lower leagues.
    Mike Ashley has the future of the club in his hands and he doesn't give a shìt about it.

I get what you're saying about folk still wanting us and I guess it still is possible but, for me, the only outcome that will save us is Premier League survival and the takeover happening.

Then imagine how many people high up in the PL and the 'big 6' would be pissed off and shitting themselves when we start to be run like a proper club. Be worth doing just for that!

A point for Fulham this evening.

Next game is against Sheff Utd...wonder if Parker will go as defensive as we did against the worst team in the league?

No need to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    Is it so important to stop up. I mean does anyone actually get enjoyment watching the club just aim for 17th every season. At the same time Ashley making money from the club being in it.
    It's a league where only 6 teams can compete and the other 14 are restricted from having ambition or getting owners that could take them to the next level and challenge them 6 clubs.
    My views are that if we go down, stay down then Ashley will sell. He won't put money in year after year when he isn't receiving the riches of PL television money.
    He doesn't invest now when he gets it, so he won't put money in when he doesn't. I genuinely believe for the club to have a future we have to hit rock bottom like we did before Keegan dragged the club up from its knees.
    I’ve swung back and forward on this a couple of times - whether it’s better for SDFC to be relegated or not.
    Obviously the best is the option where Ashley leaves asap and for me, it all boils down to whether you think the/a takeover is a good possibility in the near future. Clearly, if it is, then it’s better not to be relegated.

My own feeling is that there is not a good chance of a takeover currently and so we should hope for relegation to get our club back. I’m fully aware that we will not bounce back soon but, Christ, I’d take that in a heart beat to cut out the cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I’ve swung back and forward on this a couple of times - whether it’s better for SDFC to be relegated or not.
    Obviously the best is the option where Ashley leaves asap and for me, it all boils down to whether you think the/a takeover is a good possibility in the near future. Clearly, if it is, then it’s better not to be relegated.

My own feeling is that there is not a good chance of a takeover currently and so we should hope for relegation to get our club back. I’m fully aware that we will not bounce back soon but, Christ, I’d take that in a heart beat to cut out the cancer.
    You are dead right TopToon. If Ashley goes then the cancer has gone never to rear its ugly head again. Just a horrible memory and a bad taste to contend with.

As for relegation, if it does happen and hastens Ashley's demise it is well worth it. We will return, perhaps not a first bounce back but it will happen sooner than later. And when it does happen then is the time to dream again.

Nothing can be worse than Ashley, but by no means is a takeover in of itself a promise of a brighter future.

We could easily get in another incompetent, umambitious, clueless owner.

Think Stewart Donald.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)