+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swindon

Swindon

So last time we played them, we gave them a two-goal start and still beat them with ease. John Sheridan is still manager and we have a pretty good record against him as manager. Hopefully Charlie will be back, the pitch will have settled a bit, the players will have rested and been given advice so what can go wrong??? Well, I can't see us keeping a clean sheet. We don't often come back so well after a lay-off, though with the slog of the last few months, surely they must benefit (and we're back to 2 games a week for a period now). We need a win and it needs to be be a good win with a display of football. We also need to up the number of shots in a game as that has tailed off in the last month.
    My prediction is a 2-1 win for the Alex. What's yours?

What is interesting about Swindon, and the reason for their struggles compared with ours, is looking at their transfers this season. Courtesy of Wikipedia, they have had transferred out 18 players since 1st July and transferred in 10 - 4 of these came in and have left. In addition they have brought in a total of 11 loanees, 6 of whom have subsequently left.

One goal in their last 5 matches (and that in their only win against the poor Wigan side) should make us favourites, despite the forecast wet and windy weather. 1-0 to the Alex, Charlie on the mark.

Well I am going for a 2-0 win with fingers crossed. With Billy Jones injured it gives another opportunity for Johnson?
    My team would be Richards, Johnson, Lancashire, Backles, Pickering. Murphy, Wintle, Walker. Dale, Mandron, Kirk.
    Hoping that we will be comfortable and able to give subs some playing time.

So 4-2-4 lukcour?

Anyway, early on I thought we were going to destroy them. Our goal took minimal effort. We should also have scored two more. However, Travis (obviously cursed by his heads up on Football Focus) caught in two minds whether to pick out Richards or concede a corner, in the end placing it nicely in the corner for Swindon's equaliser.
    From about 25 minutes the game has become scrappy and a little pedestrian. Ah well, hopefully the second half will be better?

Got what we deserved. You can't have Mandron missing 3 virtually open goals and expect anything else. The standard of crossing was appalling, especially from Murphy. I still don't understand the 'tactic' where you have 4 minutes left and it takes you two minutes to get into the other half WITHOUT the opposition having touched it. It's no use only introducing some sense of urgency when we're in added time. Swindon were one of the worst teams we've played this season but all they had to do was wait and let the ball come to them. What did I say about having time off? They looked so lethargic and, and at times predictable. The winning goal was inevitable. I'm really angry after watching that.

Why does Richards only pass the ball to Omar -even when he is marked. We gifted them those 3 points.
    I thought that going forward we were good, trying different things and should have scored 3 or 4. The problem was in the second half, we stopped playing it forward and started messing around at the back again, giving them the chance of pressing and getting the ball back from our hurried clearances.
    Totally disappointing result, but not unexpected as the game progressed.

Yes a very disappointing result against a lowly placed team. It seems incredible that the team cannot close the game down with minutes to go for full time. This is far from the first time this has happened although to be fair we have also won against some sides this season with a goal in added time. It is just hard to take when one has had so much possession during the game.

The problem is that most of that possession is between the back 4. I'm all for possession football but it needs to happen all over the pitch and at varied pace. We are also now predictable down that left wing. All of Pixie's run were covered so we to spread the attack. We also need to occasionally switch to more direct play as a way of unsettling opposition plans.

I thought that with Pixie's runs being covered, Charlie had to do something different. And I thought he did, with more crosses into the box giving Mandron some glorious chances which unfortunatly he did not take. I hope that ongoing Charlie continues to cross the ball more.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    The problem is that most of that possession is between the back 4. I'm all for possession football but it needs to happen all over the pitch and at varied pace. We are also now predictable down that left wing. All of Pixie's run were covered so we to spread the attack. We also need to occasionally switch to more direct play as a way of unsettling opposition plans.
    We were a little predictable but we did enough to win, I wouldn't mind so much if it was down good goalkeeping, but he only had to pull off one save, the other chances that fell to Mandron, who kicked the ball over the bar from 4 yards on 2 occasions is difficult to take. There were other chances and we should have been out of sight, unfortunately you could see there winner coming, with more goals in the bag you forget the poor crosses and misplaced passes, but when you are effectively chasing the game and looking for a winner you do notice the errors. On the whole we played quite well but as always the final ball and finishing was not there. Swindon have said that they have to take that performance to Lincoln, good luck with that one, I dont think Lincoln will be so accomodating.