+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dubs is unhappy

Dubs is unhappy

Martin Dubravka is unhappy about his lack of game-time at Newcastle United - but Steve Bruce says Karl Darlow has earned his extended run in the team.

The Slovakia international was number 1 last season but then suffered a cracked heel bone at the club's pre-season training camp in York.

Since then Dubravka has had to recover and wait patiently for his chance, sitting 10 times on the bench in the Premier League and getting an FA Cup outing against Arsenal on third round day.

Failure to progress in the FA Cup has dented Dubravka's chances of playing more regularly but Darlow has done nothing wrong between the posts.

Dubravka made his debut against Man United three years ago and kept a clean sheet with the former Sparta Prague man just 10 appearances away from 100 at Newcastle.

When asked about Dubravka, Bruce said: "He’s been very professional but that doesn’t mean he’s happy (with not playing) and I wouldn’t expect him to be.

"I’ve stayed with Karl because I think he deserves it - all season we've said how well he's played but I need that competition."

Whoever Bruce decides to go with at Old Trafford - hardly a happy hunting ground for the Magpies down the years - they will be facing a buoyant Man United side, who go into the game fresh from a resounding win over Real Sociedad in Turin.

Man United have effectively booked their place in the last 16 of the tournament following the excellent first leg victory.

Bruce, a club legend at Man United, watched on with both interest and privately perhaps some apprehension.

He said: "We know how difficult it is going to be.

"They were magnificent in Turin against a very good (Real) Sociedad team.

"They've ripped them to bits so we know what they've got - there is a threat at the top end of the pitch so we're going to have to defend well. "

I'm not suprised he's unhappy - whilst I acknowledge how well Darlow has done, I think that Dubs is hte better keeper and should come back into the side.

However, I also think that Darlow is a Bruce player - think it is unlikely he'll be dropped, unless really forced to.

I think Dúbravka organises the defence better and has good distribution. Darlow has had a decent season given the amount of shots he’s had to save but still sometime looks like a young keeper in his first season even though he’s about 30 now. Suppose in one way, it’s not an issue just yet as he can’t leave until the summer and that’s likely to be the fork in the road for the club - relegation, no takeover and oblivion or hopefully survival, takeover and Bruce gone. A new manager will surely start with a clean slate and reinstate the better keeper. The big call - and one which Bruce won’t be brave enough to make, is would Dúbravka be the difference between bottom three or not bottom three.

Darlow has done incredibly well...but...Dubs is our number one and his all-round game is much better and we need every advantage we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Darlow has done incredibly well...but...Dubs is our number one and his all-round game is much better and we need every advantage we can get.
    this word for word

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    this word for word
    Exactly. Now's not the time for sentiment or favoritism. Every potential save in every game is critical for the rest of the season.

Darlow has performed exceptionally well while he has taken the position but in the cold light of day he is second in the pecking order for a reason and that is why while both keepers are fit and in form the edge must go to the better one.

I know Dubravka was our best keeper but i think Darlow is more reliable at this moment in time as i remember Dubravka had a few howlers at the end of last season and to think he is going to do better than a match fit Darlow is beyond my imagination.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)