+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We are lacking quality from midfield ...... a player such as

We are lacking quality from midfield ...... a player such as

......... a Hammill or Hignett type.
    Someone with that bit of quality that can unlock a defence and win a game.
    We battered Bristol - like I thought we would - but that level of dominance should not result in just a 0-1 win.
    It’s got to be more substantial than that.
    Maybe Styles might be that exciting attacking midfielder - but I haven’t yet seen evidence of that.
    Bring Glavin on !!!

When we sell Styles to Southampton in the summer they will put him in Midfield where he will score bucket loads and assist others plenty, thats when we will realise that we should have asked for £10 million rather than 500k.................

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    When we sell Styles to Southampton in the summer they will put him in Midfield where he will score bucket loads and assist others plenty, thats when we will realise that we should have asked for £10 million rather than 500k.................
    IMO - Styles isn’t a wingback - although he can tackle.
    He isn’t an out and out winger either.
    He’s clearly playing out of position and at some point I would like to see him established in the middle.
    At the moment we haven’t got that player that can drive at defences and go around defenders.
    A player that strikes fear in the opposition when they get the ball in the final third.
    We are missing a Hammill or Hignett type.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you Nudger, but playing in the position he is has got the attention of many clubs! And we aren't doing too badly at the moment playing him in the wing back role.

Styles picking the ball up in the middle and producing an incredible goal - has probably answered my question.
    Obviously Val doesn’t see anyone in the present squad doing a better job at left wingback.
    So the question might be - we have that player at the club that can drive from midfield - but he’s not playing there because we haven’t a suitable left wingback.
    Personally I would like to see Oduor tried in that left wingback position more often.

Ok YN say we play Odour at LWB. where do you play Styles?
    If you put him in midfield with Mowatt you have 2 left peggers in there, so one is playing out of position again.
    Drop Mowatt and you lose your captain and his experience.
    Just leave him there for now, he can move into midfield next season when Mowatt has gone gold digging and is sat warming some bench.