+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You can't beat this for true love

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

we did look good, but why....game was recognised by Palace support as abysmal, and for many - was seen as their worst performance all season - so as there's a big difference between playing well against the godawful vs quality - how much of our game was due the theirs ?....as if sides have to drop their game for us to be "seen" to lift ours - then what does that say about us - any brilliance is of a flimsy fantasy imo.

Ask Brighton tonight!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Ask Brighton tonight!! lol
    Palace made I think six changes to the team that played us - 3 of them (important) defenders, were setup differently and Benteke actually managed to hit the target for once....lol !

Brighon were their regular wasteful selves.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Fair enough, however, nobody said that being a Burnley fan would be an easy ride and that is and always has been the case
    We are were we are because we get results. In our first season in the PL, 2009/10, we won 8 matches and then, in 2014/15 we won 7 matches. In the two seasons we managed to get points in 33 matches from the 76 played --this is 43% of which 20% were victories.

Since our promotion back to the PL in 2016/7 we have played 177 matches and got points in 100 of them ---this is 56% and we have won 58 matches which is almost 33%.
    We are set up to get results with the resources which we have and we do OK and I appreciate that this is perhaps not what a lot of fans want to watch, however, it is as it is.

I always think of Stoke, who got promotion to the PL after 32 seasons in tiers 2 and 3 and became established as a mid table PL side playing in a similar way to the Clarets. After 5 seasons the fans wanted something better and they appointed Mark Hughes, who changed the way that they played with the result that they finished in 9th place for three consecutive seasons, however, they then dropped to 13th the next season and this was followed by relegation the following season when they finished 19th, this was their 10th season in the PL and they are now striving to get back in this their 3rd season in the Championship and ----they are backed by a very wealthy owner!

Just keep supporting, there will be good days, bad days and what was that? days ---it's Burnley FC. Have fun donw under ===great place.
    I always love your posts Supersub and your stats are unarguable.

However, if you accept that when, sometime, the tide will turn against us because of our small, aging, squad lack of fit players and lack of funds plus lack of a decent Prem-style youth outfit you can't hang on to Prem at all costs.

You either compete--or you can't.

And our views differ in terms of competing VS eking out results.

Don't get me wrong. I love playing in the Prem but I guess the accent is on playing.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    I always love your posts Supersub and your stats are unarguable.

However, if you accept that when, sometime, the tide will turn against us because of our small, aging, squad lack of fit players and lack of funds plus lack of a decent Prem-style youth outfit you can't hang on to Prem at all costs.

You either compete--or you can't.

And our views differ in terms of competing VS eking out results.

Don't get me wrong. I love playing in the Prem but I guess the accent is on playing.
    The bottom line for me is supporting my club, whether they be playing in the PL or League Three or even in non-league and I think from your post you are in exactly the same boat.

To be brutally honest, I do not like the Premier League and where it is taking what used to be a great game. IT is becoming unwatchable so ---------don't make the missus suffer!

For the feel good factor I'd quite happily prefer being top of the Championship with occasional forays into the Prem. All we are doing, bar one season, is looking over our shoulders and discussing relegation. The football is backs to the wall stuff and as we know, and everyone tells us, is not very entertaining. I can cope with that as I enjoy a win under any circumstances but I'd enjoy it more winning with more attractive footie with something to aim for other than avoiding the drop and we'll never get that in the prem, we won't be doing a Leicester. We could make a lucrative business out of promotion and relegation with parachute payments as long as we don't go daft spending to stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    For the feel good factor I'd quite happily prefer being top of the Championship with occasional forays into the Prem. All we are doing, bar one season, is looking over our shoulders and discussing relegation. The football is backs to the wall stuff and as we know, and everyone tells us, is not very entertaining. I can cope with that as I enjoy a win under any circumstances but I'd enjoy it more winning with more attractive footie with something to aim for other than avoiding the drop and we'll never get that in the prem, we won't be doing a Leicester. We could make a lucrative business out of promotion and relegation with parachute payments as long as we don't go daft spending to stay up.
    Can't agree with you on this mate because the risk of not making it back first time is much too great. We need to gear up properly with a full 25 man squad of EPL quality players and not being in a position where we are filling the bench with kids and two goalkeepers. That is embarrassing.

With our resources even if we strengthen the Squad BT I think we will still be playing "Escape the drop" until the point is reached when we don't. It's probably a strange thing to say in this material environment of the EFL but as a supporter one of my favourite seasons was escaping from the old fourth division.

With our resources even if we strengthen the Squad BT I think we will still be playing "Escape the drop" until the point is reached when we don't. It's probably a strange thing to say in this material environment of the EFL but as a supporter one of my favourite seasons was escaping from the old fourth division.
    what a great night out when took York over Chris.

That was special alf. It was also great travelling away because almost every match was like a home game given our travelling support in those days.

That was special alf. It was also great travelling away because almost every match was like a home game given our travelling support in those days.
    Yes,the away days were better than the home games most times..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)